Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

18 hours ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

I am a snow weenie. I do not like what is happening. 

maybe these little guys will come back and fix things?

from 1945 (two years before Roswell)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/13/us/ufo-new-mexico-congress.html?smid=tw-share

4:24 AM

The American public can reasonably expect to get some answers to questions that have been burning in the minds of millions of Americans for many years,” said Christopher Mellon, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence. “If nothing else, this should either clear up something that’s been a cloud hanging over the Air Force and Department of Defense for decades or it might lead in another direction, which could be truly incredible. There’s a lot at stake.”

• Haha 1

A number of years ago, I had the idea for a short story, inspired by years of lurking in this subforum.  Problem is, I didn't have the talent or the patience to actually write the story or even to figure out how to connect the main ideas I had for it.

When I started playing around with ChatGPT, I decided to see if it could write the story I had always pictured.  I gave it some details and it came up with the following (which I'd give about a B or B-...sort of captured the spirit of what I was going for, but not as dramatic as a reveal as I'd hoped)...

Anthony woke up early on a cold winter morning, excitedly peeking through his window to see the snow falling heavily outside. As a child, he had always loved the snow and the snowstorms that came with it. He would spend hours outside, building snowmen and having snowball fights with his friends. Now, as a grown man, his enthusiasm for the snow had never waned.

He quickly got dressed and headed out, making his way to Central Park. He had heard that the zookeeper at the Central Park Zoo was responsible for recording the official snow measurements for New York City during snowstorms. Anthony was curious about how the measurements were done and wanted to learn more.

As he arrived at the zoo, he was greeted by the zookeeper, a man by the name of Mr. Johnson. Mr. Johnson was a gruff man, with a stern look on his face and a no-nonsense attitude. But Anthony's enthusiasm for the snow was infectious, and soon Mr. Johnson was showing him around the zoo, explaining how he measured the snow.

Anthony was fascinated by the process and couldn't help but notice that the official measurements seemed to be less than what he observed in the city. He asked Mr. Johnson about it, but the zookeeper just brushed it off, saying that the measurements were accurate.

But Anthony couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. He began to do some research and discovered that people had been suspicious of the official snow measurements in New York City for years. They often seemed to be lower than what residents of the city observed.

As the days went by, Anthony continued to visit Mr. Johnson and the Central Park Zoo, always trying to get to the bottom of the discrepancy in the snow measurements. But Mr. Johnson remained tight-lipped, and Anthony couldn't shake the feeling that there was something more to the story.

One day, while browsing through some old newspapers at the library, Anthony came across an article about the infamous Blizzard of 1888. The article mentioned that the official snow measurements were significantly lower than what people had reported. Anthony couldn't help but think back to his conversations with Mr. Johnson and the feeling that something was off.

He decided to confront Mr. Johnson about it, but the zookeeper still refused to give any explanation. Anthony couldn't shake the feeling that there was something more to the story, something that Mr. Johnson was hiding.

As the snowstorm outside intensified, Anthony decided to investigate further. He made his way back to the Central Park Zoo, but when he arrived, he found that the gates were locked. Undeterred, he climbed over the fence and made his way inside.

As he searched the zoo, he heard a strange noise coming from the reptile house. Cautiously, he approached the door and peered inside. What he saw shocked him.

There, in the middle of the reptile house, stood Mr. Johnson. But he was different. His eyes glowed with an otherworldly light, and his body seemed to be covered in a thick layer of snow. Anthony realized with a start that Mr. Johnson was not a man at all, but something else entirely.

In that moment, Mr. Johnson turned to Anthony and spoke. "I have been the zookeeper at the Central Park Zoo since the Blizzard of 1888," he said. "I have been tasked with keeping the true snow measurements a secret, to protect the people of this city from the wrath of the Snow Queen."

Anthony was stunned. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. He finally understood why the official snow measurements were always lower than the observations, it was to protect the city from the wrath of the Snow Queen.

Anthony realized that Mr. Johnson had been deliberately underreporting the snow measurements to protect the city, and had been doing so since the Blizzard of 1888. He also realized that the zookeeper was not human but something supernatural, who had been appointed to this task for more than 130 years.

As he looked into Mr. Johnson's eyes, he knew that it was true. He also knew that he had to stop the Snow Queen and her wrath.

Anthony knew that he had to tell the people of New York City about the true snow measurements and the Snow Queen. He quickly made his way back to his apartment and began to write down everything he had learned. He knew it was a difficult task, but he also knew that it was the right thing to do.

He published his findings and the truth about the snow measurements and the Snow Queen was revealed. The people of New York City were shocked and frightened, but they also understood the reason behind the underreporting of the snow measurements.

As the Snow Queen unleashed her wrath upon the city, Anthony rallied the people to protect themselves. He explained the significance of the true measurements and how they could protect themselves from the Snow Queen's wrath.

They worked tirelessly to build shelters and fortifications to protect themselves from the snow and the cold. They also provided assistance to those in need.

In the end, the Snow Queen was defeated. Anthony had saved the city from her wrath and had helped to bring about a new era of understanding and cooperation between the people of New York City and the supernatural forces that existed in their midst.

Anthony's childlike enthusiasm for snow had led him on an incredible journey, one that had changed the city and the people in it forever. And as the snow continued to fall, Anthony couldn't help but feel a sense of wonder and excitement, knowing that he had played a part in the great story of New York City.

If anyone is interested, I can post the prompt that I put into ChatGPT in order for it to come up with this.

• Like 4

maybe these little guys will come back and fix things?
from 1945 (two years before Roswell)
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/13/us/ufo-new-mexico-congress.html?smid=tw-share
4:24 AM
The American public can reasonably expect to get some answers to questions that have been burning in the minds of millions of Americans for many years,” said Christopher Mellon, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence. “If nothing else, this should either clear up something that’s been a cloud hanging over the Air Force and Department of Defense for decades or it might lead in another direction, which could be truly incredible. There’s a lot at stake.”

giphy.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

07 flipped to cold by mid January 

Something I remember that was often said about that season:

"The first three weeks of April were colder than the first three weeks of January."

I think it hit 70 on the 11 year anniversary of the January 1996 blizzard and yet did not hit 70 in the first three weeks of April lol.

There was also a snow event in the south near Thanksgiving and again in April right down to the coast in the Carolinas.

We had the Tax Day noreaster with snow in southern NJ.

We did have two memorable wintry events -- VD 2007 and St Paddy's Day.  Both were all frozen here, snow and sleet and freezing rain and long duration events.

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Something I remember that was often said about that season:

"The first three weeks of April were colder than the first three weeks of January."

I think it hit 70 on the 11 year anniversary of the January 1996 blizzard and yet did not hit 70 in the first three weeks of April lol.

There was also a snow event in the south near Thanksgiving and again in April right down to the coast in the Carolinas.

We had the Tax Day noreaster.

We did have two memorable wintry events -- VD 2007 and St Paddy's Day.  Both were all frozen here, snow and sleet and freezing rain and long duration events.

Yes I shoveled almost 6" of sleet on st Patrick's day 

• Like 1

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic