Including the cities of South Lake Tahoe, Truckee, Stateline,
and Incline Village
456 AM PST Mon Jan 9 2023

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST
WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow. Total snow accumulations through late
  Tuesday night of 1 to 2 feet, except 2 to 5 feet above 7000
  feet. Wind gusts up to 50 mph with exposed ridges gusting in
  excess of 130 mph at times. Waves up to 4 feet on Lake Tahoe.

* WHERE...Greater Lake Tahoe Area.

* WHEN...Until 4 AM PST Wednesday.

4 foot waves on Lake Tahoe? WOW

Main thread is pretty funny right now. Liberty has a conversation with himself, with occasional gloating from snowman (it’s his winter can’t deny it) and the occasional Metsfan looking for hope. 
I will say at least no ones beating each other up, NE forum is fully of the rails. 

I am continually unable to fathom the need to personally attack each other over things literally out of our control.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Main thread is pretty funny right now. Liberty has a conversation with himself, with occasional gloating from snowman (it’s his winter can’t deny it) and the occasional Metsfan looking for hope. 
I will say at least no ones beating each other up, NE forum is fully of the rails. 

it's amazing people get so bent out of shape...there's nothing anyone can do about it and there's certainly more important things in life....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The sne forum likes to eat their own if things don’t go well…snow Is serious business up there 

• Haha 2

it's amazing people get so bent out of shape...there's nothing anyone can do about it and there's certainly more important things in life....

After the past three years, go hug your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/kids/friends and tell them you love them and appreciate them.

Then remind them the GFS is all alone with next week’s system and that they’re wrong for believing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Figured someone might find this interesting / cool. This is an actual ground level pic of the Hunga Tonga eruption column. The majority of images you can find for the Jan 15th climactic eruption are satellite images, owing to the volcano’s geographic isolation. There are a few close images of sub-plinian / surtseyan eruptions, but those are from the 14th and even earlier. Much smaller events. 

The Jan 15th blast created an absolutely titanic eruption column, and not visible are the underwater ignimbrite / pyroclastic flows that reached upward of 80KM’s away. Insane. 

Note that this image was taken something like 60Km away on a nearby island and this was early on in the climactic blast. 

_124897684_pyro-nc.png

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Figured someone might find this interesting / cool. This is an actual ground level pic of the Hunga Tonga eruption column. The majority of images you can find for the Jan 15th climactic eruption are satellite images, owing to the volcano’s geographic isolation. There are a few close images of sub-plinian / surtseyan eruptions, but those are from the 14th and even earlier. Much smaller events. 

The Jan 15th blast created an absolutely titanic eruption column, and not visible are the underwater ignimbrite / pyroclastic flows that reached upward of 80KM’s away. Insane. 

Note that this image was taken something like 60Km away on a nearby island and this was early on in the climactic blast. 

_124897684_pyro-nc.png

Who named this Hunga Tonga?  I always laugh when I see that name

It’s very plausibly the largest eruption in our lifetimes. Small to moderate VEI 6 events happen something like 2-4 times per century, but statistics doesn’t dictate whether a volcano is ready to erupt. The next similarly sized event may not be for fifty years on longer. The 20th century had Santa Maria at the turn of the century then the considerably larger Novarupta a decade later in Alaska, and it wasn’t until 1991’s Pinatubo that the next 6 occurred. Granted there were a couple very high end VEI 5’s that could almost be estimated at a borderline 6 inbetween, but it’s also possible the 20th century featured an above average number of large eruptions. 5’s are once per decade or so, but most are borderline 4/5’s. 

There’s an order of magnitude between each step of eruptive volume on the VEI scale. .1-1km^3 = 4, 1-10km^3 = 5, and then 10-100km^3 = 6. High end VEI 6 are almost unfathomably large and would instigate a notable to severe volcanic cooling episode, though it always depends on several variables. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

It’s very plausibly the largest eruption in our lifetimes. Small to moderate VEI 6 events happen something like 2-4 times per century, but statistics doesn’t dictate whether a volcano is ready to erupt. The next similarly sized event may not be for fifty years on longer. The 20th century had Santa Maria at the turn of the century then the considerably larger Novarupta a decade later in Alaska, and it wasn’t until 1991’s Pinatubo that the next 6 occurred. Granted there were a couple very high end VEI 5’s that could almost be estimated at a borderline 6 inbetween, but it’s also possible the 20th century featured an above average number of large eruptions. 5’s are once per decade or so, but most are borderline 4/5’s. 

There’s an order of magnitude between each step of eruptive volume on the VEI scale. .1-1km^3 = 4, 1-10km^3 = 5, and then 10-100km^3 = 6. High end VEI 6 are almost unfathomably large and would instigate a notable volcanic cooling episode. 

I dont think people here will be impressed until we get another Krakatoa or Tambora lol

Krakatoa = Boxing Day Blizzard

Tambora = January 1996 / January 2016

7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Usually is because they expect every winter to be cold and snowy. And they do not take kindly to dissenting points of view.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Usually is because they expect every winter to be cold and snowy. And they do not take kindly to dissenting points of view.

Yeah, I’ve been looking more closely at average snow / location throughout the northeast and while some places do average quite a lot (60+, not talking about north NE), some places really don’t get that much more than we do around NYC and north Jersey. I think they’ve had an incredible run of winters the past twenty years and we’re all getting spoiled. 

It is fun though how we can all share some of the same nor’easters, like 1/29 last year. Definitely bulls-eyed NE, but the Jersey shore received very nice totals as well. And at least NYC saw nearly a foot IIRC. I can’t wait to be present here on the forum for the next large northeast-wide coastal. 

I am positive SNE will get theirs this year, likely before we do if we go back to a canonical Niña pattern. Guys just have to hang in there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Yeah, I’ve been looking more closely at average snow / location throughout the northeast and while some places do average quite a lot (60+, not talking about north NE), some places really don’t get that much more than we do around NYC and north Jersey. I think they’ve had an incredible run of winters the past twenty years and we’re all getting spoiled. 

It is fun though how we can all share some of the same nor’easters, like 1/29 last year. Definitely bulls-eyed NE, but the Jersey shore received very nice totals as well. And at least NYC saw nearly a foot IIRC. I can’t wait to be present here on the forum for the next large northeast-wide coastal. 

I am positive SNE will get theirs this year, likely before we do if we go back to a canonical Niña pattern. Guys just have to hang in there. 

I've never liked the overall pattern going back to late October. As long as the parade of storms continues in the west it is going to be next to impossible to establish a long(3+weeks) lasting winter pattern in the east.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 1:07 PM, Great Snow 1717 said:

I've never liked the overall pattern going back to late October. As long as the parade of storms continues in the west it is going to be next to impossible to establish a long(3+weeks) lasting winter pattern in the east.

There was a time when a parade of storms into the west went straight east and produced a lot of snow for us.

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic