• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter Thread

Rjay

IMO stick a fork in this winter, it's done. We may get lucky with a thread the needle event or IF and a big IF a SSWE develops then we could see better condtions for snow but we probably wouldn't benefit from that until February at the earliest. If you like rain/storminess then this is your winter. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, forkyfork said:

More Grim News on U.S. Life Expectancy | The Terry Group

Awesome lol-- there's also this

https://www.overshootday.org/

It's called Earth Overshoot Day-- we passed the tipping point in 1970

This year, Earth Overshoot Day fell on July 28

Earth Overshoot Day marks the date when humanity has used all the biological resources that Earth regenerates during the entire year.

• Weenie 1

5 hours ago, forkyfork said:

is that supposed to make the looming climate disaster ok

It's that plus the mass extinction event humanity began with the industrial age.

The industrial age gave us a short unsustainable boost in productivity but unless we go in a different direction, it will also destroy us.

I actually feel like the climate change stuff is rather simple as per the physics involved. We’re adding thermal energy into the atmosphere at a tremendous rate. Boom, done. What else is there to discuss? It’s not political nor is it arguable. 

It’s not about blame. The Industrial Revolution did its job, and we just didn’t know a hundred years ago. 

But we know now, right? Now it’s time to figure it out and come together to make sure Volcanic Winter on AmericanWX forums still has cold and snow in winter to fetishize. I’m feeling a little overly thawed right now…

• Like 2

Just now, Volcanic Winter said:

I actually feel like the climate change stuff is rather simple as per the physics involved. We’re adding thermal energy into the atmosphere at a tremendous rate. Boom, done. What else is there to discuss? It’s not political nor is it arguable. 

It’s not about blame. The Industrial Revolution did its job, and we just didn’t know a hundred years ago. 

But we know now, right? Now it’s time to figure it out and come together to make sure Volcanic Winter on AmericanWX forums still has cold and snow in winter to fetishize. I’m feeling a little overly thawed right now…

I like your point of view!

It's more than "just" climate change though, we need to find a way to use resources more efficiently, otherwise we will quickly run out of what the planet has stored (since we're already far exceeding what the planet produces, we are taking it out of the planet's "savings account" so to speak/type.)

• Like 1

I prefer to be positive about this; the Industrial Revolution benefited all of us. We can’t deny it, and we wouldn’t want to go back to living in log cabins and huts. Fossil fuels catapulted us forward.

However, the Industrial Revolution has had negative side effects. I like what you said and what I like too is that it’s just math. It’s just numbers and they tell the story.

I think we’re moving forward on a cleaner usage of energy, and we’re still ironing it out. Less CO2, great; how do we have battery usage and rare earth mining and powering batteries to be better moving forward? I think we will still see breakthroughs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, North and West said:

I prefer to be positive about this; the Industrial Revolution benefited all of us. We can’t deny it, and we wouldn’t want to go back to living in log cabins and huts. Fossil fuels catapulted us forward.

However, the Industrial Revolution has had negative side effects. I like what you said and what I like too is that it’s just math. It’s just numbers and they tell the story.

I think we’re moving forward on a cleaner usage of energy, and we’re still ironing it out. Less CO2, great; how do we have battery usage and rare earth mining and powering batteries to be better moving forward? I think we will still see breakthroughs.

I think this all will blend into the bigger problem of conserving natural resources, they all have common answers.

• Like 1

Even if one agrees with everything being said here, it seems like there are a lot of folks in favor of taking technological advancement out at the knees before we find the necessary solutions, by preemptively hamstringing economies, if not outright crippling them.  Like we're on a rocket fuel powered ship traveling to a place where innovations await regarding not just energy solutions, but great health and technology advances as well, but there are folks on the ship, mid-flight, saying "Wait.  Stop using rocket fuel.  Let's use switchgrass instead, now.  What, the ship doesn't run on switchgrass, and we'll have to drastically slow down, if not stop the ship outright?  Too bad, figure that out first.  Why do you hate the earth?"  Much of the pushback that understandably perplexes many on this board is borne not necessarily out of disagreement about warming, but the approaches being taken, which to many seem ridiculous and counterproductive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Even if one agrees with everything being said here, it seems like there are a lot of folks in favor of taking technological advancement out at the knees before we find the necessary solutions, by preemptively hamstringing economies, if not outright crippling them.  Like we're on a rocket fuel powered ship traveling to a place where innovations await regarding not just energy solutions, but great health and technology advances as well, but there are folks on the ship, mid-flight, saying "Wait.  Stop using rocket fuel.  Let's use switchgrass instead, now.  What, the ship doesn't run on switchgrass, and we'll have to drastically slow down, if not stop the ship outright?  Too bad, figure that out first.  Why do you hate the earth?"  Much of the pushback that understandably perplexes many on this board is borne not necessarily out of disagreement about warming, but the approaches being taken, which to many seem ridiculous and counterproductive.

I think it's more like realizing that the fuel being used is flammable and the rocket is getting warmer and looking for alternatives before the ship explodes.  There are many different possibilities and it's interesting you used this analogy because nuclear fusion would probably be the most efficient most environmentally friendly fuel source that rockets could use.

• Like 1

giphy.gif
Ding! We all want the same thing here, I believe. We want a healthy ecosystem and environment *and* people living in a modern society. For example, Natural gas is cleaner than the oil and coal and wood that used to heat our homes, though still not perfect. It will bridge us to an even cleaner source that is being worked on now, even though we don’t realize it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's more like realizing that the fuel being used is flammable and the rocket is getting warmer and looking for alternatives before the ship explodes.  There are many different possibilities and it's interesting you used this analogy because nuclear fusion would probably be the most efficient most environmentally friendly fuel source that rockets could use.

Fusion will happen but it’s not drastic, overnight change.

54 minutes ago, North and West said:

Fusion will happen but it’s not drastic, overnight change.

I think in terms of paradigm shifts they do happen within a few decades.  Progress isn't a straight line (evolution isn't either), there's a long time where nothing happens and then a sudden rapid seismic shift and then a new plateau.  Evolution worke the same way but to get evolution to work rapidly, you historically first need a mass extinction event and then nature rapidly fills those specialized environments with new species that can survive under new conditions (on evolutionary timescales, 100,000 years is considered "rapid.")

1 hour ago, North and West said:

giphy.gif
Ding! We all want the same thing here, I believe. We want a healthy ecosystem and environment *and* people living in a modern society. For example, Natural gas is cleaner than the oil and coal and wood that used to heat our homes, though still not perfect. It will bridge us to an even cleaner source that is being worked on now, even though we don’t realize it.

The hilarious thing is, with climate change, heating our homes may become much less of a necessity within a few decades.  I turn my heat completely off now a few days every winter and even open my windows.

This is what I find so hypocritical about the media-- on the one hand they get so excited when it gets warm in the winter and you can tell they absolutely hate snow, on the other hand they also keep complaining about climate change.

My anger about climate change is more towards the corruption and lying of corporations and how greedy and evil they are (they are truly psychopathic)....but the media itself is pretty bad when they want to have their cake and eat it too.  If they love warm winters so much they can't be complaining about climate change.  

Eh, I disagree with you regarding corporations. I’ve worked exclusively for corporate behemoths my entire career - mostly European, Japanese, and a few Americans - and they’re nothing like that. They’re just opportunistic and deliver what the people demand.

If people demand GHG-infused home heating or GHG-emitting vehicles, or greenwashed-EVs with rare earths, someone will deliver them. It’s just a modern, codified take on organized crime delivering alcohol during prohibition or brothels delivering outlets for shunned proclivities in medieval Europe.

Capital is much like water: it seeks out the lowest and easiest point or cost and then builds up from there.

The hilarious thing is, with climate change, heating our homes may become much less of a necessity within a few decades.  I turn my heat completely off now a few days every winter and even open my windows.
This is what I find so hypocritical about the media-- on the one hand they get so excited when it gets warm in the winter and you can tell they absolutely hate snow, on the other hand they also keep complaining about climate change.
My anger about climate change is more towards the corruption and lying of corporations and how greedy and evil they are (they are truly psychopathic)....but the media itself is pretty bad when they want to have their cake and eat it too.  If they love warm winters so much they can't be complaining about climate change.  

I agree with you wholeheartedly re: the media. They suck. It doesn’t matter which outlet you’re getting it from, there’s almost always an angle along with contradictions.

As I get older, the more and more I feel the media writes and presents stories to impress their peers in other media outlets rather than just delivering the current story or facts. The hell with the readers or viewers.

A perfect example of this that we could appreciate is The Weather Channel. It used to present the facts and what could occur. Now it’s far more opinion-driven and sensational. Even if I agree with what they’re saying re: AGW, it’s so sanctimonious and pedantic.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, North and West said:

Eh, I disagree with you regarding corporations. I’ve worked exclusively for corporate behemoths my entire career - mostly European, Japanese, and a few Americans - and they’re nothing like that. They’re just opportunistic and deliver what the people demand.

If people demand GHG-infused home heating or GHG-emitting vehicles, or greenwashed-EVs with rare earths, someone will deliver them. It’s just a modern, codified take on organized crime delivering alcohol during prohibition or brothels delivering outlets for shunned proclivities in medieval Europe.

Capital is much like water: it seeks out the lowest and easiest point or cost and then builds up from there.

I mean what we should be doing is banning supermergers so exxon-mobil was never allowed to occur (exxon who lied and covered up climate change research in the 70s)....or monsanto-bayer (and how they threatened UN scientists who wanted to publish research about what their pesticides do to pollinators.)  I don't think the public wanted this research covered up or the threats they gave.  I strongly believe corporations should be regulated so that 1) they are not allowed to influence government in any way-- including banning corporate lobbyists completely and 2) they should not be allowed to have any people on regulatory agencies.

• Weenie 1

I’m taking my wife into New England (location undetermined at this point) for a little hiking and wining / dining trip for my birthday in February (love having an early Feb bday). Was hoping to possibly catch a glimpse at that fabled white substance. At this rate we’ll have to go to the Canadian border (in Maine) or the summit of Mt Washington… 

• Like 1

• BxEngine locked and unpinned this topic