SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June pattern and forecast discussion

weathafella

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Deficits since Jan 1st.

YearPDeptNRCC.png

folks really need to verify maps like this in their own back yards... 'using provisional data' is murky at best.... not that anyone cares, but my local coop station is very slightly above normal precip to date for 2022, whereas this map has us close to the 3" BN contour.   A fairly substantial difference!  What data are they using?

If the point is that on the whole SNE has been fairly dry, then sure... but don't go telling your neighbor about how dry you've been based on maps like this... precip totals are highly distributed, interpolation masks the hell out things, and radar estimates, even gauges are prone to error.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I wish Dr. Paul Roundy ( ...I think he's a doc by now...) still ran that probability product available on line like back in the old days.   I found that tool to be more than merely eye candy.  It seemed to do rather well at early detection for development regions of the Pac and Atlantic expanse. 

Not so much going forward, but the recent MJO and orientation of the R-wave correlate to eastern Pacific then relaying into Atlantic TC genesis, and now ... the 00z GGEM and Euro both have suggestion for MDR development nearing the Islands if just for sport.  It's obviously hugely early by climo for that region, but it is what it is

I’d settle for a gusty shower at this point 

1 hour ago, radarman said:

folks really need to verify maps like this in their own back yards... 'using provisional data' is murky at best.... not that anyone cares, but my local coop station is very slightly above normal precip to date for 2022, whereas this map has us close to the 3" BN contour.   A fairly substantial difference!  What data are they using?

If the point is that on the whole SNE has been fairly dry, then sure... but don't go telling your neighbor about how dry you've been based on maps like this... precip totals are highly distributed, interpolation masks the hell out things, and radar estimates, even gauges are prone to error.

Highly agree!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Drought and New England should never be used in the same sentence. These "drought monitor" charts are brutal. There is a difference between drought and dry soils. 

Absolutely correct Wiz... One of the most useless discussions in New England weather forum is the drought, endless Stein chatter.  Lack of exciting severe wx or hurricane threats or truly hot periods pushes folks to spend endless time on New England faux drought crap.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Absolutely correct Wiz... One of the most useless discussions in New England weather forum is the drought, endless Stein chatter.  Lack of exciting severe wx or hurricane threats or truly hot periods pushes folks to spend endless time on New England faux drought crap.

Yeah drought talk gets way over-played in our region. I don't get the fetish. Even TV outlets within the region will show the maps and talk about it. I mean I guess it is a time filler with nothing going on but we are not in a drought.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, FXWX said:

It’s pointless drivel that underscores how boring the weather is in June - July 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah drought talk gets way over-played in our region. I don't get the fetish. Even TV outlets within the region will show the maps and talk about it. I mean I guess it is a time filler with nothing going on but we are not in a drought.

It’s a time filler for sure.  It makes zero sense to show.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Depends on what we mean by 'heat' in this context.  If we're dancing around the notion of 'big' as an adjective?  I'm inclined to agree - but inclination isn't an outright sale, either. Lol. 

No but it's likely to be 90/59 on Saturday, and perhaps 92/62 on Sunday or whatever ( I have spent retentive time on it this morning...) Even though the 850 mb kinetic expulsion goes through that aspect you noted, where it collapses roughly BUF's longitude, the 850s are warm nonetheless.

Muse:  This whole closed(ing) mid level thing off the upper MA/NE coast ...it isn't a "coastal" in that sense. It has very little lower attending expression .. of which is missing, a CAA region around a west arc of a cyclone model... It's one of those ordeals where as it pulls away, you default warmer. We see this behavior in the early and late chapters of winters ... where the colder aspect was the front side of the event.  Then as the low moves away and the sun comes out, the temp rockets to 44 F that afternoon or the next day... and that beautiful 10" of new snow ends up 4" of glop.

So the weekend ... the OV to NE region defaults under +15 to 17C 850s, with [apparently] low ceiling RH, while slowly increasing WSW gradient spanning those two days.  By convention, 90 is hot .. it's just not very big.   

Little longer:  Also .. further down the road, there's a dicey period D8.5 - 11 on these models.   The 00z and 06z GFS briefly closes off a 594+ dm contour over the upper mid Atlantic during that span, and both the GGEM and Euro indicate a significant mass of SW released air is/has extended all the way to the Va coast across the continent at that same time as the GFS. Meanwhile, the telecon footprint -PNA is still in place... I'd call that playing with fire ... 

Heat's really fragile in guidance, and in practice once above ~ 35 N. It only takes a subtle outflow from shower two towns over to undermine a hot afternoon. In the macro sense ( in guidance) just about any perturbation imaginable tends to offset big numbers. Be it a poorly timed debris plume off an MCS ... or a diffused front below the sensitivity of WPC's detection..  The closer to 95 ... 100, the more perfect things need to be.  But, the flip side of the fragility is that it can be 'hidden' by these offsets, in guidance, and then if the guidance removes the offsets...it can emerge rather quickly. 

In the period leading and going through the D8 to 12, there is a -PNA hot signal that appears to have the elephant ass of the polar regions suppressing it south.  It's like spring loaded heat in a sense.  If/when the N branch of the westerlies relaxes thru S/SE Canada, the heat end up N in tandem.  If the N stream is correct as is, we narily miss.

Yea I should have been more clear with that. I had in mind the classic heat events from summers past, which last 3 or more days. Dewpoints at least mid 60s, daytime highs 90+. I don't really see one or two days of muted, upper 80s to 90 as qualifying, at least not by this time of the season.

Perhaps this relentless trend will relax some in the coming weeks, but it's been my observation that more often than not, Junes which turn out like this one lead on to lackluster summers. That's just for this part of NE though. SNE has better chances of getting something unless this turns out like 96, 2000, 2009, or the second half of 2013. Many a time the warm front stalls, keeping ME and the coastal plain of NH/NE MA shut out while SNE and VT can pull off several days of summer.

21 minutes ago, FXWX said:

An instant nominee for post of the year award!!

20 hours ago, radarman said:

https://emmy7.casa.umass.edu/umaxx/nexrad.html

I don't have OKX, but ENX and BOX are available... this is likely still not what you want, but it loads a lot faster than the radar.gov page

Thanks I appreciate this. I bookmarked it, and hope I’ll remember to use it since the regular noaa.gov weather radar is so sluggish. I should send a feedback too about it would help. i know they sometimes put out surveys but I don’t recall one recently 

High for the day 77. That’s decent I think if it makes it there.

Regarding the fact that this summer has been seemingly cooler and drier than last year in eastern CT… One thing I notice that happens in cooler than normal patterns in summer is that you will see the several-day forecast keep trying to adjust upward and give you 80s, maybe for climo or something? But then as you get closer to any given day the forecast adjusts downward. I’m not asserting this happens so much but it’s the impression I get from my light amount of checking the forecast. I keep expecting very warm days but I keep getting 60s and 70s and dry. 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Drought and New England should never be used in the same sentence. These "drought monitor" charts are brutal. There is a difference between drought and dry soils. 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

And just because people have to water their lawns and gardens a few extra times a week doesn't mean drought either 

1 hour ago, FXWX said:

Highly agree!

1 hour ago, FXWX said:

Absolutely correct. 

26 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just let the lawn go dormant during dry periods 

Well folks that that have weeds as their lawn and don’t fertilize, seed etc don’t care . Folks that take care of and appreciate how lawns are meant to be green and weed free do not like droughts such that we are currently in. This should start to get very serious this summer 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well folks that that have weeds as their lawn and don’t fertilize, seed etc don’t care . Folks that take care of and appreciate his lawns are meant to be green and weed free do not like droughts such that we are currently in. This should start to get very serious this summer 

or perhaps aren't obsessed with how the lawn looks???.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well folks that that have weeds as their lawn and don’t fertilize, seed etc don’t care . Folks that take care of and appreciate how lawns are meant to be green and weed free do not like droughts such that we are currently in. This should start to get very serious this summer 

Ya that’s really the only reason I care about rain, I can just water my vegetables but the beautiful green turf needs actual rain. 

• Thanks 1