• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Pattern/obs thread.

weathafella

Looks to me like the 12z GFS is buckin' for a complete exclusion from that warm up next week at all at this point.  Slams a violent BD/n-door front thru so aggressively that it pinches the warm south right under that ridge.  Main front comes thru a day and a half later and we're still frosting at night.

Welcome to April - you were warned

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Looks to me like the 12z GFS is buckin' for a complete exclusion from that warm up next week at all at this point.  Slams a violent BD/n-door front thru so aggressively that it pinches the warm south right under that ridge.  

Welcome to April - you were warned

Yeah the GFS was utterly brutal.....

Euro is trying to sneak at least 1 early summer day in there next Wednesday, but then I don't like the look by 216h....you have the big low out in the lakes and lurking CAD setting up in Maine and NH. Verbatim it still busts us into the 70s next Thursday, but it's 48F in PSM/Cape Ann while its 75F in ORH....more often than not that gradient ends up 100 miles southwest.

• Like 1

Models couldn’t get a snowstorm correct 6 hours in advance this past winter    But suddenly an op run at day 8-10 is nailing a back door? Puff puff pass. It won’t be in the 70’s everyday but it’s generally AN with many days of 60’s after the warm period. People do this every spring and it rarely ends up a miserable spring . It’s a background warm state with typical days like tomorrow interspersed.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Models couldn’t get a snowstorm correct 6 hours in advance this past winter    But suddenly an op run at day 8-10 is nailing a back door? Puff puff pass. It won’t be in the 70’s everyday but it’s generally AN with many days of 60’s after the warm period. People do this every spring and it rarely ends up a miserable spring . It’s a background warm state with typical days like tomorrow interspersed.

Get ready to get back doored.

• Confused 2

Don't panic Kevin...  we're not saying "they are going to get that right" - we're just being honest about what they are indicating at this time. 

It's called actual Meteorological analysis - just fyi ...  And that unfortunately, BD butt banging actually has a column in database tables at CPC.   The column headers literally say,...  "heating deg day | cooling deg day |  daily anomaly | day high | day low | butt banged | ...."   etc

That said, you're characterization of 'how these typically end up' is laughably spun to the point of divorced from reality if/when thinking that is true in the month of f'n April.  I'd give that to you from May 20th and onward, but BD climo is importing air masses off obscenely cold oceanic waters, and lingering snow pack over eastern Canada...    

I realize you just don't like them and it goes against the desired narrative, but it is what it is...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Stick to wedding planning and cuffing and stuffing prostitutes

Good evening DIT. I’m not sure the latter is an arrest able crime in my fair city any longer. As for the former, to some, that’s up to debate. As always ….

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Don't panic Kevin...  we're not saying "they are going to get that right" - we're just being honest about what they are indicating at this time. 

It's called actual Meteorological analysis - just fyi ...  And that unfortunately, BD butt banging actually has a column in database tables at CPC.   The column headers literally say,...  "heating deg day | cooling deg day |  daily anomaly | day high | day low | butt banged | ...."   etc

That said, you're characterization of 'how these typically end up' is laughably spun to the point of divorced from reality if/when thinking that is true in the month of f'n April.  I'd give that to you from May 20th and onward, but BD climo is importing air masses off obscenely cold oceanic waters, and lingering snow pack over eastern Canada...    

I realize you just don't like them and it goes against the desired narrative, but it is what it is...

I also don’t live in ENE or ENNE. You guys are much more susceptible. Sure we get them, but we LL roll the dice it’s not a week of misery as you guys are calling for 

58 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I also don’t live in ENE or ENNE. You guys are much more susceptible. Sure we get them, but we LL roll the dice it’s not a week of misery as you guys are calling for 

It's true there is circumstantially some built in variance that makes it nastier back this way than where you are, but this early in the season ( April's) ?  - you will get hammered with 42 F NE cold drill this early.  So it's 38 here and 42 there...

Point being, it's too earlier to count on your geographic region to be 'protecting you' ... You'll need to give it another month, and then that will pay dividends/more like to help out.

By the way, fairly large correction on this 18z GFS back toward more height falls in the SW lending to a more robust ridge/longevity in the east.  The sfc featuring also much less BD saddled. 

It may not be right, just as much as the 12z brutal cold layout - which was true for everybody on that run, btw - may not be right, but I think it stands out as model instability. 

We are talking D6 - 10 for that warm spell - whatever comes of it... That's plenty of time to afix it one way or the other.   

Again...just reporting the better interpretation of the guidance just scene - not intending to use out of hand.

• Like 1

The ridge that will eventually (hopefully?) be migrating out that way is establishing itself over us at the moment. Today's high was right around 90. We had our first 90s of the season about a week and a half ago. Rest of this week:

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 93. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Wednesday Night: Clear, with a low around 64. Breezy, with a northeast wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 94. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Thursday Night: Clear, with a low around 63. Northeast wind around 5 mph.
Friday: Sunny, with a high near 97. East northeast wind around 5 mph.
Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 65. Calm wind becoming east northeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 97. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.

On Sunday it starts moving out of here. Next week will be much cooler with 70s.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:53 PM, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah... who was I mentioning this too - can't remember.   But there's probably like 1::12 or 1::9 type of return rate on median passable Aprils, otherwise, the more common rendition falls beneath whatever 'median' is in this context - so some subjectivity to that.  I don't think 3 days nicking 70, while the other 20 some odd days are < 60 ... ass loads of cold rain...  NE wind days ... putrid car top slush, saves any face for example. 

I've just been wilted too many times. I'm not going to stick the flower of optimism out there ever again for this piece of shit climate anus that seems to shit in your bed in direct deliberate proportion to said optimism.  Like I said last page or two ago, you count on the BDF screwing it up, whether it is on the model or not, in a scenario like that next week.  Then, it's a daily elimination game to remove having one occur, day by day.

You really have the best way of wording the unique experience of eastern new england's climate. I say that as someone who endured the same misery there for many, many failed springs and summers. I watched that same elimination game carry well into summer, and forecasted heat waves get continually trimmed back on both the front and backside until, as mentioned it was basically a transient warm sector for 24-48 hours.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:56 PM, Typhoon Tip said:

Having said that... May 2005 is still the worst month that has ever happened in the space-time continuum existence of this planet.   Ironically... no April has ever been that bad.

I remember there being a particularly miserably, cold, rainy period in mid to late May 2002 before the pattern suddenly and dramatically reversed in early June, going on to be a summer for the ages. It wasn't as bad as that 2005 stretch but it was memorable. Maybe more so in Maine than the rest of NE.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:19 PM, eekuasepinniW said:

peepers on 4/4 wtf :blink:

I heard them out in southwest CT back in mid March when talking to a friend of mine who lives there.