Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

25 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Remember all of the hype and hysteria for early March :D

Remember all of the hype around the March warmth a couple of weeks ago? Guidance has been pretty unstable. My original March forecast was pretty hyped, but that was issued four months ago and I have long since admitted its going to be wrong.

I sill think it can be a snowy March if we capitalize on the mid month window, but it could easily suck if we don't.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Remember all of the hype around the March warmth a couple of weeks ago? Guidance has been pretty unstable. My original forecast was pretty hyped, but that was issued four months ago and I have long since admitted its going to be wrong.

I sill think it can be a snowy March if we capitalize on the mid month window, but it could easily suck if we don't.

Oh yeah the tulip tweets in early February about winter being over. LOL. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean, the month still doesn't look like a raging inferno....its just not a great snow pattern, save for potentially a short window around mid month. Second half will likely be biased warmer, but this isn't March 2012.

29 minutes ago, dryslot said:

These clippers blow up just in time for here over the years, Its been quite a few years since we've had them but in the past we ended up with some decent over performers like this one did, But i was totally caught off guard as well as NWS and three other Mets from NBC,CBS and ABC that i emailed this morning ha ha.

Missed the good band here but 1.5" hit the forecast bullseye - no complaints.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I remember the torch March talk a couple weeks back.

This early March cold period is actually verifying pretty nicely, but we couldn't get anything to amplify into the cold....

We'll see if the reload mid-month bears fruit. Almost reminds me a little of how Mar 2007 unfolded. We started the month brutally cold (colder than this outbreak....it was breaking records). Then we had a big relaxation between the 10th and 15th or so. I even remember being near 70F a couple days before the big 3/16-17/07 storm. Then we went cold again for the storm and up until the final week when we torched again. We snuck in another small event on 3/24 before it torched.

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Remember all of the hype around the March warmth a couple of weeks ago? Guidance has been pretty unstable. My original March forecast was pretty hyped, but that was issued four months ago and I have long since admitted its going to be wrong.

Nice post.  He’s always pushing his agenda. Way to shut him down. 

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I remember the torch March talk a couple weeks back.

This early March cold period is actually verifying pretty nicely, but we couldn't get anything to amplify into the cold....

We'll see if the reload mid-month bears fruit. Almost reminds me a little of how Mar 2007 unfolded. We started the month brutally cold (colder than this outbreak....it was breaking records). Then we had a big relaxation between the 10th and 15th or so. I even remember being near 70F a couple days before the big 3/16-17/07 storm. Then we went cold again for the storm and up until the final week when we torched again. We snuck in another small event on 3/24 before it torched.

Funny you mentioned 2006-2007....I mentioned a week or two ago that I just passed that season by a couple of inches snowfallwise.

12 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Nice post.  He’s always pushing his agenda. Way to shut him down. 

I am more concerned with keeping it real, than shutting anyone down per se...guys like him, forky and snowman21 do a good job of keeping everyone in check because that is needed quite often, as much as people hate it, but it goes both ways. The warmer idea has panned out, either.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't remember any torch talk, actually.   Certainly not from me.  My only argument was that deep winter was long over (which it was and is)   Not sure why you are talking about your forecast, it was the furthest thing from my mind.  In fact I have no idea what your thoughts were weeks ago.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

I have found that by pimping LR weeklies a bit too much, folks end up violently disappointed more often than not.  That could also apply to torchy looks as well.

Yeah when they get posted I really don't even give them much thought. The d10-15 EPS is about as far as I go with worrying about the LR.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

I don't remember any torch talk, actually.   Certainly not from me.  My only argument was that deep winter was long over (which it was and is)   Not sure why you are talking about your forecast, it was the furthest thing from my mind.  In fact I have no idea what your thoughts were weeks ago.  

I was just being as transparent as possible because I'm sure at some point, I'll see a post to the effect of "weren't you gung ho on March"....maybe not necessarily from you. You have to be very careful about what you say on here these days lol

The torch talk was certainly there, as was the guidance that supported it....but there could certainly be a few days of deep winter centered around mid month.

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah when they get posted I really don't even give them much thought. The d10-15 EPS is about as far as I go with worrying about the LR.

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, weeklies have been awful.

Right.  And when they've got the right idea, the pattern may still not produce what you'd expect from those early looks.  What we've had (and what appears to be coming)  is a pretty ordinary February/ March.

23 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Right.  And when they've got the right idea, the pattern may still not produce what you'd expect from those early looks.  What we've had (and what appears to be coming)  is a pretty ordinary February/ March.

Totally with you on this....I said last week that March looked very climo like.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Not the eps

Eps looks decent, geps is also trying for a Miller B. That’s what the models look to be hinting at right now, a low initially cuts to our west, but then redevelops and bombs out just a little too late. Get that redevelopment to happen a little earlier and all of a sudden we have a big nor’easter.

• 40/70 Benchmark changed the title to March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly
  • dendrite unpinned this topic