Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

4 year anny of one of the most damaging nor’easters we’ve seen in recent times. It didn’t have much snow in New England,  it buried the Catskills.  However it had some of the most intense winds I’ve seen, and really tore into SE MA, especially Plymouth county. Many homes raised and rebuilt after the no name storm had damage for the first time. Power out for days. 

Yes. fun stuff with a 2 week old infant and no power. plus a tree crashing into my house, missing me by about 5 ft. 

to be honest, I can't remember so many damaging tree storms in a relatively short period of time. starting with Feb 13'. Throw in this storm, plus Oct 2021

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Yes. fun stuff with a 2 week old infant and no power. plus a tree crashing into my house, missing me by about 5 ft. 

to be honest, I can't remember so many damaging tree storms in a relatively short period of time. starting with Feb 13'. Throw in this storm, plus Oct 2021

Yeah. We violence. Been a lot of those 70-90+mph deals. 
Snagged this shot of a Jeep in a sink hole with a massive wave in the background.

296A77A8-92FE-46F5-AD47-CC5DCF6AB481.jpeg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

We have 2 acres of trees in our backyard and we have lost probably 15 in the past few years.   I have several days of chainsawing to do that I’ve been putting off.  
Free firewood though!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Any snow on the horizon ?

Depends on one sub(sub-forum)

~ day 4.5 there is a minor impact potential for mainly central New England.   It's another needle thread system - what's new over the past 10 years..  So where it snows, it will be narrow latitude.   The Euro is farthest N, the GGEM is sorta between, the GFS is S enough to bring blue snow type all the way to the Pike.  But neither of these solutions would implicated NYC area with any snow.   Of course, ...that is as of 00z suite of runs, and there is 4.5 days it's possible they are all wrong.  

~ day 7, a Miller A of weak to moderate scope moves up the EC.  That system is more coherent in the GEFs ensemble mean than the operational version, which seems to be smearing it together with an -EPO Lakes cutter a day and half later, which heralds in the much ballyhooed mid month cold.   The Euro and GGEM depict more separation between those, with more individual distinction.  That allows their version of a weak to moderate Miller A to swath chilly spring rains up the EC, ...where eventually it runs into isothermal soundings (+) or (-) 1 either side of 0C at 850 -925 mb ...Strictly adhering, it's mixy and cat paws for SNE with snow N, but at this range in the spring, blue events always look like cat paws. Which at this time of year that signals the blue snow scenario ( < 10::1 cake).  It'll take a couple days -worth of runs to radar which modeling has the better idea.  I can see biased reasons for both to be wrong.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Enough already with the cold.

It was windy while I was arranging the trash and recycling outside last night....I was just thinking how sick and tired of it I was. Man, enough already.....for just over 37" of snow on the season with never a pack over 10", its just not worth it. Give me 2019-2020 100 times over this....one great storm, and then boom....pleasant.

• Like 1

The one hit wonders like 1997-1998, 1982-1983, 2019-2020, 1996-1997 (more than one for deep interior) and 2011-2012 (my area didn't get the one) are much more preferable than these seasons that just beat you to death with unheralded cold. I know it wasn't like that for the coast, but hopefully the interior has better luck next season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It was windy while I was arranging the trash and recycling outside last night....I was just thinking how sick and tired of it I was. Man, enough already.....for just over 37" of snow on the season with never a pack over 10", its just not worth it. Give me 2019-2020 100 times over this....one great storm, and then boom....pleasant.

No sustained warmth at all on guidance...White Snake pattern.

Hope for one more big dog to track mid-month.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No sustained warmth at all on guidance...White Snake pattern.

Hope for one more big dog to track mid-month.

It reminds me a lot of March 2006 and 2014....just a lot of sunny days with nasty, cold and biting wind.

I would take 43 and drizzle over that anyday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

You still have a pack? Im about 75% covered with an inch of crusty snow.

My south facing sloped part of my front melted, but other than that, it's full pack here and that says a lot because I don't have a lot of woods to help with any exposure. I can walk on the snow.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think I said you'd still do well which you did. 10 miles SE of you had 20"+.  So I was off there.

We have differing versions of doing well. 12" with a max depth of 10" in a storm like that makes me want to vomit bile.....but I get it.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We're just getting started as a region. :) 

I have to think it evens out....I don't have a period on record during which this area endured five consecutive clunkers. There is a reason why I average what I do. If it doesn't, I continue suffering as your area regresses, then you need to rethink my climate change idea RE coastal snowfall distribution.

Its one or the other-

• Weenie 1

• 40/70 Benchmark changed the title to March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly
  • dendrite unpinned this topic