• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

I was describing the ridge morphology and how it looked to me like some guidance were stretching the L/W trough down stream of the ridge too prodigiously, to JC' ( heh, gave him some 101 diagrams because I am an excruciating nerd lol)... but, I'm all for any run that does not stress that geometry to the boundary of believability.

I say again ...the flow winds at basal state are slowing, and upstream...the NE Pac is entering the AB phase..  Those two are likely related indirectly, but should factor in how the trough orients E of ~ 100 W across mid latitudes.  

I'm not trying to be some Gomer trying buck for the amp runs.  Tell me where that's wrong.

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The larger scale trough positions have improved since 00z. We’re still working out the nuances with the two pieces of energy but I like where the larger features are at the moment. We’ve had some huge New England specials with the ridge axis over Dakotas/Wyoming/Colorado. Feb 2013 Mar 2001, and Feb 1978 come to mind off the top of my head but I’m sure there are others. 

Someone earlier this season alluded to the Idaho peak of the ridge axis as a great setup for EC hit

A lot of irrational panics about this last night. 6 days away. And I weigh Euro op maybe just a little more than just another ensemble member this far out.

We're in a good spot.

• Like 1

Let's do a model prediction head game ...

Euro - comes in at 12z with no storm at all.  ...that's a neat trick.  Flattened so much that ECMWF head-quarters must now face the moment of decision: do we take this p.o.s. off line and APB a disclaimer.  They opt out, because ( phew!) it's absolutely nailing the highs and lows out in the middle of the Saharan dune country of N Aftrica, and they can always fall back on besting all other models "where it really counts" - there, and 75 mi N of Utqiagvik AK, and the regions immediately adjacent to western Europe.

GGEM loses it at 00z, but ...being the GGEM ..that's kinda okay?   We know that it's kind of like Ralph Phillips from Looney Tunes ( kinda like George01 in a way now that I think about it -) and we just pat it on the back, and it goes, "..Oh, sorry," and it jumps perhaps 70% back on board tomorrow morning..

UKMET plots bombs between the BM and Cape Hatteras and ALB, but wins the best aggregate/ n-:wacko2: placements that happen to average out to the best scores.  But  we like that..., because it offers solutions for the subversive trollers when they need to reach for content, but also delivers the best support in closing arguments of the equally irritating over-optimists...

GFS ... is just an asshole - what do we expect from an American A.I. design.  I mean, art reflects the wielder of the paint in that sense.

JMA is under the radar perfect on this one storm ( see yesterday's 12z ..which ironically, is the best conceptual behavior that fits everyone's salient critical observations..) *but*, since it has been perfectly wrong on everything else ... like ever, it never set its self up to really be seen.

ICON?  ... anyway -

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Let's do a model prediction head game ...

Euro - comes in at 12z with no storm at all.  ...that's a neat trick.  Flattened so much that ECMWF head-quarters must now face the moment of decision: do we take this p.o.s. off line and APB a disclaimer.  The opt out, because it's absolutely nail the highs and lows out in the middle of the Saharan dune country of N Aftrica, and they can always fall back on besting all other models "where it really counts" - there, and 75 mi N of Utqiagvik AK, and the regions immediately adjacent to western Europe.

GGEM loses it at 00z, but ...being the GGEM ..that's kinda okay?   We know that it's kind of like Ralph Phillips from Looney Tunes ( kinda like George01 in a way now that I think about it -) and we just pat it on the back, and it goes, "..Oh, sorry, and it jumps perhaps 70% back on board tomorrow morning..

UKMET plots bombs between the BM and Cape Hatteras and ALB, but wins the best aggregate/ n-:wacko2: placements that happen to average out to the best scores.  But  we like that..., because it offers solutions for the subversive trollers when they need to reach for content, but also delivers the best support in closing arguments of the equally irritating over-optimists...

GFS ... is just an asshole - what do we expect from an American A.I. design.  I mean, art reflects the wielder of the paint in that sense.

JMA is under the radar perfect on this one storm ( see yesterday's 12z ..which ironically, is the best conceptual behavior that fits everyone's salient critical observations..) *but*, since it has been perfectly wrong on everything else ... like ever, it never set its self up to really be seen.

ICON?  ... anyway -

mannnn I hope youre right about the 12z JMA from yesterday being the most synoptically congruent because I'll take 3 inches of noreaster QPF imby

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The larger scale trough positions have improved since 00z. We’re still working out the nuances with the two pieces of energy but I like where the larger features are at the moment. We’ve had some huge New England specials with the ridge axis over Dakotas/Wyoming/Colorado. Feb 2013 Mar 2001, and Feb 1978 come to mind off the top of my head but I’m sure there are others. 

Feb 13 actually had a neg pna if you recall

BOX AFD:

"It is Fri night into Sat night where the confidence in the forecast really starts to dwindle. Recent deterministic global model runs have showed varying solutions both in track and strength pertaining to a developing coastal storm near the SE US coast, induced by a potent shortwave trough along the Gulf Coast or Carolina coast. The deep amplitude and location of the longwave trough near the western slope of the Appalachians in most models indicates an inland track is a less favored outcome. This is reflected in GEFS/GEPS/EPS ensemble mean low track being more offshore near or SE of the 40N/70W benchmark. Only a small minority of individual members show an inland track; while most members reflect a coastal/offshore track, there`s large spread in the members in terms of how close to the SNE coast the storm may get. Have mention of PoP across all of SNE for Fri night into Sat night; but sided PoP to slight or low chance northwest of I-95; then to more solid Chance (30-40%) near the coastal plain to the offshore waters. This isn`t the final answer, and expect changes to come to these as well. However this should be a good starting point with adjustments up or down as more coherent and consistent trends develop in the coming days. What we can say is that it is looking like a coastal storm should be somewhere either over the Eastern US coast or offshore in the Fri night to Sat night timeframe, but it`s far too uncertain to lock into any solution given the location and strength spread in the ensembles. Sunday however looks dry or with improving conditions but uncertainty from Fri-Sat night lingers into Sunday too. Stay tuned!"

13 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

mannnn I hope youre right about the 12z JMA from yesterday being the most synoptically congruent because I'll take 3 inches of noreaster QPF imby

Well ...it was at the time, relative to the synoptics.. Frankly still is a reasonable solution - huge this or that imby, aside.   The synoptics can change though, and that would render that not such a good fit - so...it's not a 'you're right' or wrong ...I'm not using the JMA for any determinism by using it to make a joke with. Lol

• Like 1

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...
  • dendrite unpinned this topic