• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, JC-CT said:

Maybe it's where you want it. It's not where I want it.

At some point the "it's right where we want it" line starts to ring more and more hollow as every run misses day after day. If the solution envelope really included a coastal hugger, you'd expect to see that appear in some random runs along the way. Sort of like the CMC did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

At some point the "it's right where we want it" line starts to ring more and more hollow as every run misses day after day. If the solution envelope really included a coastal hugger, you'd expect to see that appear in some random runs along the way. Sort of like the CMC did.

We have a few cycles before it matters a lot. This system is still like 5.5-6 days out and there’s plenty of ensemble support still. 

I do think a regression on the 00z suite would be a bad sign but status quo wouldn’t necessarily be awful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

We have a few cycles before it matters a lot. This system is still like 5.5-6 days out and there’s plenty of ensemble support still. 

I do think a regression on the 00z suite would be a bad sign but status quo wouldn’t necessarily be awful. 

I think it's a good sign that there is still a strong storm on these runs. Weak shredded bitch low sliding due east is a bigger red flag. This is still a big low on a NE heading, just needs to adjust west. 

Yeah, I say that a little tongue in cheek. But I feel like a lot of the "oh it's going to trend this way or that way because x or y model bias or because of z pattern recognition" is usually either anecdotal or at best a relatively minor factor when compared to "the models are often just wrong, in any and every way imaginable." So I'd ALWAYS rather be in the bullseye, because who knows which adjustments will happen and which ones will offset, etc etc. Not wanting to be in the bullseye at N hours out is, to me, a bit superstitious.

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Yeah, I say that a little tongue in cheek. But I feel like a lot of the "oh it's going to trend this way or that way because x or y model bias or because of z pattern recognition" is usually either anecdotal or at best a relatively minor factor when compared to "the models are often just wrong, in any and every way imaginable." So I'd ALWAYS rather be in the bullseye, because who knows which adjustments will happen and which ones will offset, etc etc. Not wanting to be in the bullseye at N hours out is, to me, a bit superstitious.

Yeah I think sometimes though you can gauge the pattern and correction probabilities…but this may not be one of those cases. 

Like, for example, in a SWFE setup, I don’t want to be in the bullseye 3-4 days out. They definitely tick north more often than not. Doesn’t happen all the time but I’ll play the odds. 

As for this system, I feel like this has the ability to slingshot sharply north so I don’t mind it being a little offshore. I want the scenarios to be a whiff or a crushing. No BGM or ALB tracks. I get that further west in western MA and W CT might feel differently. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I think sometimes though you can gauge the pattern and correction probabilities…but this may not be one of those cases. 

Like, for example, in a SWFE setup, I don’t want to be in the bullseye 3-4 days out. They definitely tick north more often than not. Doesn’t happen all the time but I’ll play the odds. 

As for this system, I feel like this has the ability to slingshot sharply north so I don’t mind it being a little offshore. I want the scenarios to be a whiff or a crushing. No BGM or ALB tracks. I get that further west in western MA and W CT might feel differently. 

It's an interesting conversation...maybe someday we will figure out a way to start tracking and measuring these kind of things. It's probably doable with some manual effort. It's like, at what point does the inherent odds of an adjustment one way vs another exceed the benefit of simply having the most room for adjustment while still getting a decent outcome that you get with the bm-like track? I'm not sure the answer. I'd also say, with the caveat that I know it's an obvious thing to say, that there's a difference between wanting it to be a scraper because you think it will trend west vs saying you are happy with it being 500 miles east of the benchmark because "they come west." Like, there's a limit there to what I'd be comfortable with. Some of those 12z OP runs were starting to push it a little.

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

It's an interesting conversation...maybe someday we will figure out a way to start tracking and measuring these kind of things. It's probably doable with some manual effort. It's like, at what point does the inherent odds of an adjustment one way vs another exceed the benefit of simply having the most room for adjustment while still getting a decent outcome that you get with the bm-like track? I'm not sure the answer. I'd also say, with the caveat that I know it's an obvious thing to say, that there's a difference between wanting it to be a scraper because you think it will trend west vs saying you are happy with it being 500 miles east of the benchmark because "they come west." Like, there's a limit there to what I'd be comfortable with. Some of those 12z OP runs were starting to push it a little.

Yeah there is definitely an anecdotal element to it for sure. But in some cases (like maybr this one?), you can use ensemble spread to hedge as well. Like right now, there’s considerable spread to the west which is frequently a red flag in coastals. 

• Like 2

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...
  • dendrite unpinned this topic