• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

28 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Let me test my understanding...the "pulling" of the long wave trough east is possible but not necessarly "standard." If the lw trough does get pulled east, it would probably deamplify the sw, thus limiting the pulling of the trough axis? ... Yes, because the long wave "steals" energy from the S/W;  and vice versa when the L/W trough might be deepening and then the S/W arrives into that basin.

What about the dynamic of a strong sw raising heights out in front of it...isnt that a factor that typically is a natural limiter of a strong sw destroying the lw trough it is embedded in? ... Yes, there's sort of a negative(positive) interference balancing that goes on. If the L/W trough is stretched from a fast flow, the S/W will get robbed... but, if the S/W is very strong, it will offset - it's integrity may remain more so in tact in that sense.  These are moving parts at all times... Sometimes, like in 1995-1996, there was less modulating of L/W and less contention, so S/W were left alone - predictive skill was remarkable that winter.  

Usually we are talking about other factors besides the main sw being the culprits of moving around the 500mb trough.

Also thank you for taking the time to answer my question, really appreciate it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Icon is a beast. Just Brushing the coast, but nails down east Maine. I don’t mind the position of it.

Ha ha... I didn't even look at the sfc evolution.   ...I mean, beyond the idea that this is the ICON at 120 + hours...  I didn't like the 500 mb V handling and got pissy.  

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Anyone not in SE Canada should prob sit this one out.

East trends continue with GFS.

The gfs is a useless model. The guidance is right where we want it this far out, a day ago the concern was an inland runner and thermals, now it’s ots. Windshield wipers, this happens every storm. 

• Weenie 7

1 minute ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Just a wee tad sticky in the south west.

Were not getting any run to run continuity @H5 so its going to be all over the place until some of this gets resolved, That's why i'm not concerned at all, Need to let it play out over the next few days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, George001 said:

The gfs is a useless model. The guidance is right where we want it this far out, a day ago the concern was an inland runner and thermals, now it’s ots. Windshield wipers, this happens every storm. 

The gfs has been doing better than the euro

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, George001 said:

Nobody was concerned about an inland runner but the gfs is no longer useless. You can’t pick and choose the model that supports your 80” storm. With that said, how is the navy?

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Were not getting any run to run continuity @H5 so its going to be all over the place until some of this gets resolved, That's why i'm not concerned at all, Need to let it play out over the next few days.

I mean, I don't 100% disagree with you, but I don't 100% agree with you either. If the trough isn't oriented favorably at that 84hr mark when our sw is coming down the ridge, all the little micro changes in timing and sw strength don't really mean all that much wrt to how close we come to maximizing the storms potential. It certainly could mean the difference between a foot and nothing for ORH, for example... but the multi region hecs potential is currently on a telemed zoom call with its pcp...pretty soon we might be taking an ambulance ride to the ICU.

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this season has thrown so many people on tilt. Literally throwing tantrums about sub-970 scrapers at D6. 

The location being depicted at D6 isn't necessarily bad, but the overall trend among virtually all the guidance, is not at all encouraging.  It's been remarkably consistent with each other and the trending...

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

I mean, I don't 100% disagree with you, but I don't 100% agree with you either. If the trough isn't oriented favorably at that 84hr mark when our sw is coming down the ridge, all the little micro changes in timing and sw strength don't really mean all that much wrt to how close we come to maximizing the storms potential. It certainly could mean the difference between a foot and nothing for ORH, for example... but the multi region hecs potential is currently on a telemed zoom call with its pcp...pretty soon we might be taking an ambulance ride to the ICU.

So you thinking this is where that trough is going to end up where its is right now further east? It was further west just a few cycles back.

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...
  • dendrite unpinned this topic