• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

Not only timing imo.  The shape and placement of the west coast ridge when the energies start to make their slide down from western Canada into the us is key.  12z had a more N to S trajectory. 18z more of a SE slide which kicked the whole precess too far east.  Something in between would have been money.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

We almost always have to sweat timing with a few exceptions. 

True...a la 2016 being one of those exceptions, lol 

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Timing is always a major factor esp when the flow is progressive. In a sense, a blocky pattern is much easier, esp in a Nino when its all about the stj. Just get the block and wait for the right wave.

Yeah that is true. Now, if we can get a transient block...would that add a little more wiggle room?

So 12Z Euro has us worried and sweating about temperatures, while now the 18Z GFS has us concerned about wide right and then slamming New England!!  Well...the one consistent thing as others have said is that there is some consensus at least on a significant event next weekend.  But so many details that aren't going to be ironed out anytime really soon.  Unfortunately, not a standard ideal setup where you know what's coming for the most part and it's a matter of small details only and not the overall evolution (a'la 2010 or Jan. 2016).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

So 12Z Euro has us worried and sweating about temperatures, while now the 18Z GFS has us concerned about wide right and then slamming New England!!  Well...the one consistent thing as others have said is that there is some consensus at least on a significant event next weekend.  But so many details that aren't going to be ironed out anytime really soon.  Unfortunately, not a standard ideal setup where you know what's coming for the most part and it's a matter of small details only and not the overall evolution (a'la 2010 or Jan. 2016).

Will be fun to track….that’s why they call ‘em models

13 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Not only timing imo.  The shape and placement of the west coast ridge when the energies start to make their slide down from western Canada into the us is key.  12z had a more N to S trajectory. 18z more of a SE slide which kicked the whole precess too far east.  Something in between would have been money.

Good point. The 12z run had an impressive anticyclonic(over the top) wave break. Still highly amplified, but not so much this run. Something somewhat in between would probably work, dependent on timing of NS energy associated with the TPV. Lots of moving parts.

1643382000-PnXV8DtkQkk.png

1643382000-ijWyhG6qJMM.png

• Like 1

Just now, Solution Man said:

Will be fun to track….that’s why the call ‘em models

Well of course! :lol:  But what I find most interesting now is that we had a run or two this past week where the GFS showed a monster but no other real support from other models.  Now, that general idea is showing up for next weekend pretty much across the board in one way or another (granted, looking at the deterministic solutions).  So the possibility of that is not quite so crazy sounding.

Everybody needs to take 10 deep breaths and chill out.  This possible threat is 175 hours out.

When I read many doomsday proclamations, I chuckle.  All of this will change a dozen times during the next week.

Remember, there is a threat 150 - 200 hours in the future.

All of the hype and perceived expert hyperbole at this point means nothing.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

In other words...accept the chaos and uncertainty...because it's all we got for the next several days! When there's big potential we always wanna know certainties even more than usual, but again, chaos...get your towels out if you wanna sweat on the Zs, lol

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

In other words...accept the chaos and uncertainty...because it's all we got for the next several days! When there's big potential we always wanna know certainties even more than usual, but again, chaos...get your towels out if you wanna sweat on the Zs, lol

Haha, pretty much!!  But like I said, the one thing that is now looking more possible across the models is a potentially monster event...somewhere!  That's more or less the takeaway.  Or at least, the wild solution the GFS showed the other day is perhaps not so much the "crazy-uncle-in-the-attic" after all!!

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

A lot of these people should never look at an op run at range, esp consecutive cycles. I mean, 12z and 18z are so close and exactly what we(collectively) want to see at this juncture. 

Yep. Exactly. The big take away is all 3 globals show an intense Storm along the east coast in about a week. Pretty good consensus for an amplified pattern next weekend. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chris78 said:

Yep. Exactly. The big take away is all 3 globals show an intense Storm along the east coast in about a week. Pretty good consensus for an amplified pattern next weekend. 

My take as well.  Honestly, I was actually a bit surprised that all 3 major global deterministic runs showed a similar thing.

• Like 2

Just now, CAPE said:

A lot of these people should never look at an op run at range, esp consecutive cycles. I mean, 12z and 18z are so close and exactly what we(collectively) want to see at this juncture. 

Yeah I'd like to see the ensembles continue to improve for the threat window first...those previous storms where the ops lead the way were a little disconcerting.

10 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I NEED my fix of blue pixels man! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, CAPE said:

BINGO.  This man here gets it.  Da fuq can somebody sweat details at a >100 hr map?  Right now, I'm looking for general and broad signal.  It's still there.  Why would anybody want it to show the perfect scenario now when they know damn well it's not going to hold for the next 30 or so runs?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic