• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

The upcoming HRRR runs should help balance out those horrendous nam runs from about 20 hours ago.

Back in '16, some models were printing out about 47 inches of snow; the reality was about in the middle: 27 inches for Dale City.

In this case, take the worst runs of the nam and the best runs from other models that we were all hugging like a once in a lifetime gf, and average them all out. the outcome will end up about in the middle.

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I’ll leave the snowfall map to others, but the 06z NAM nest is similar to prior.  Lose the column at 5pm after 0.15” precip in DC, lose the surface at 7pm after an additional 0.15” frozen.

Comparing to the 06z HRRR, the frozen precip totals are very similar, but the HRRR hangs on to snow for an hour longer, so the snow totals are more like 2” with a bit of IP/ZR on top.

By the way, for the Winchester area folks, ignore the NAM nest precip totals.  The NAM is too aggressive with topographic lifting.  There is still a 800mb warm nose that is problematic, but you should get more precipitation than the nest shows.  Hopefully the HRRR pans out.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

16/1

latest HRRR is pretty tasty...DCA doesn't mix until 6-ish or maybe even later...sounds like its been trending that way.

Looks like DCA gets to 0.35" QPF by 00z on latest HRRR... and sounding shows us flirting with some sleet... so I'm guessing that's all snow before... 2 to 4 before being erased by cold rain would be acceptable 

17/1 in my neck of Charlottesville. NE wind at 8.

Will be very interesting who wins the battle of the short-term models.

HRRR gives us 7+. NAM gives us basically nothing. I'll be happy with a split decision.

Will also report how it feels later today, headed outside shortly. Might be the coldest its been here, wind chill wise, in several years. Usually when it's in the teens there's no wind at all.