Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

9 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

That’s probably very true, but I don’t think it means you throw meteorology 101 out the window here in hopes of a weenie miracle, I guess is the point I’m trying to make.

We obviously have some hope for a strong WAA push that helps keep things cooler. Psu mentioned something like that a few nights ago. I just don’t think that depends on a unique “this has never been seen before” event.

This is an extremely rare event. I’ve never seen it unfold like this. 

• Like 4

This is an extremely rare event. I’ve never seen it unfold like this. 

I just don’t know what that means, I guess. Seems like a way to justify higher hopes, which is fine but not a reason to throw guidance out the window. The EURO/HRRR/ICON are already showing higher totals so it’s not like a boom scenario wouldn’t be caught by some of the models.

28 minutes ago, PWC Split said:

I have lived here long enough to understand our climo.  History says we get 2-3 inches,  a little bit longer then expected period of frozen precip, and then rain.  However, for some reason I have my weenie goggles on.  Maybe it’s the bourbon talking, or maybe it’s the euphoria of the Bills pounding the Pats.  Either way I am glass half full on this one.

You will turn out right. You will get hammered by heavy snow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I just don’t know what that means, I guess. Seems like a way to justify higher hopes, which is fine. The EURO/HRRR/ICON are already showing higher totals so it’s not like a boom scenario wouldn’t be caught by some of the models.

Not a way to justify. Learned my lesson on that one a few years ago with an Apps runner which I definitively said wouldn’t happen…and did. Just a very unusual storm IMO

• Like 1

Not a way to justify. Learned my lesson on that one a few years ago with an Apps runner which I definitively said wouldn’t happen…and did. Just a very unusual storm IMO

My two cents on this storm is that places out on I-81 are vastly underestimating the icing potential with this one — DC gets up to like 50 on some of these models as the low tucks in so the ice isn’t gonna be a problem here for long but areas out there only get to 34, maybe. I think things are gonna suck (or be very enjoyable, if you like winter) out your way for sure.
  • Like 1