• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 16-17, 2022 MLK storm obs/now cast

George BM

Obviously, my preference would be for 100% cold smoke but if not at least give me something interesting.  A pretty wild day... Single digit lows, snow with temps in the teens, rapid temp rise, rapid pressure falls and strong winds. 

Currently, gusts outside 40+ I would think.  Its the loudest I can remember in this house (15yrs) and we live in a fairly protected spot. I am sure the ridge tops are getting big time gusts..

988.5mb

34 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Mets-can any of you recall a time where there’s been a severe t storm warning with temps in the upper 30s and just a couple hours after snowfall? Is this unprecedented?

In the plains, no. In the Mid Atlantic, extremely rare. It takes one heck of a setup to pull this off. This certainly is the definition of, “One heck of a setup”. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Who here is near Dulles? 

My husband and daughters flight from Seattle is scheduled to take off on time at 4 PST with a wheels down time of Midnight here. How confident is the temperature rise and change to rain? They will be driving back up to Frederick and I am really thinking they just need to get a reservation and head home tomorrow. 

I don't know how road conditions are up there or how much the temperature rose up there but it's currently 41F at IAD. However my neighborhood sideroads (Herndon, VA. ~2 miles from the airport) are still slushy and slick. Main roads appear to be marginally better. However, I don't know exactly how roads are between here and Frederick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pazzo83 said:

anyone in the central shenandoah valley (staunton/h-burg)?  I'm headed back to my parents on tues, wondering how they are doing.  I chatted with my mom around 6pm and it looked like they had about 6".

I’m in fishersville. It’s 19° heavy sleet with snow about 13-14” on the ground 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pazzo83 said:

anyone in the central shenandoah valley (staunton/h-burg)?  I'm headed back to my parents on tues, wondering how they are doing.  I chatted with my mom around 6pm and it looked like they had about 6".

We only got 6-8” here in Luray. Pretty hard to measure with all the blowing then sleet. 
Starting to get freezing drizzle really do some work. It’s 28°. 

• Like 3