Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Discobs 2022

George BM

On 1/22/2022 at 2:35 PM, WVsnowlover said:

This article does a good job explaining the geographical characteristics of Canaan Valley and discusses the record low temperature they recorded this morning. Cool stuff!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/01/22/canaan-valley-low-temperature-record/

23 hours ago, T. August said:

Is that legit? I read the article, but just wondering. -30 twice in a week?

I know it’s real but I find it hard to believe lol. 

The low temps are due to Frost Hollows.  But it's still cold!  The breaker on our hot tub flipped so it froze...what a mess

29 minutes ago, CAPE said:

20 here. Deep winter look and feel. Side roads are bad due to the constant blowing and drifting from the open fields. Lots of cool snow devils. Snownado? lol.

Snow devils are awesome.  30 or so years ago here a day like today would be endless snow devils.  But now the trees are shadowing everything and we really need a decent blow (50 mph gusts) to get things charged up.  Ditto in the fall with leaves.  Leaves, of course, don't melt away so we only welcome leaf devils when the wind blows hardest from the west. ;)

Roads and drifting for the only time in my life here I remember a blizzard warning being issued under clear skies due to a frontal passage with a decent (foot+) snow pack.  It was probably in the mid 20s and after the front passed and winds kicked up it was in the single digits with gusts to 50-55.  Nothing but cornfield on both sides of 165 and the road drifted closed very quickly.  Outside it felt like we were in a legit snowstorm yet in the lulls I looked up and saw the Milky Way.  That was really cool.  Back then we used the old wind chill scale and wind chills hit fifty below!  That was 1982.

• Like 1

From Mount Holly AFD this AM

The dominant feature through this period will be the surface high building towards and over our region, resulting in tranquil conditions for the region through this period. As mentioned by the previous shift, low level flow is expected to become northeasterly as early as Monday night, continuing through Wednesday in response to not only the surface high shifting east, but also the weak low that is expected to develop off the Carolina coast and lifting further northeast (well off shore) before stalling). The net result of all of this is potential for patchy fog/freezing fog both Monday night and Tuesday night. Dew point depressions should be very low, especially in areas where the snow pack remains through this period (which will likely be mostly over the coastal plains). Two factors that could limit fog/freezing fog development are winds, especially Tuesday night could be in the 5 to 10 mph range, and if any marine layer stratus propagates in before the fog develops. All that being said, there was enough of a chance to warrant including a mention of patchy fog/freezing fog in areas with a 3 deg F or less dew point depression both nights. For Monday night, this would be primarily the coastal plains, but the potential exists across the region Tuesday night.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Solid snowpack for full 2 weeks.  Much of the time, frozen to the point even I can walk in top of it.  All from 1 storm.  That really is quite anomalous and impressive.  The great storms of 83, 93, 96, 03, 09, and 16 didn't last as long as this one 6" snow/ice.  

Agree. 15.9 inches of snow and snow cover for 18 days, 24 if you want to count the "T's" where the ground was at least white at 7 am, and running about a -4 temp wise on the month. ZERO complaints here after the way the month started on the 1st and 2nd......

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

Agree. 15.9 inches of snow and snow cover for 18 days, 24 if you want to count the "T's" where the ground was at least white at 7 am, and running about a -4 temp wise on the month. ZERO complaints here after the way the month started on the 1st and 2nd......

Only batted .250 in the storm department, but the best winter 'month' i can remember in a long time.  Twice at 0 or below here and you could definitely ice skate on the area ponds.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

You’d think it would be good looking at radar but it’s 99% virga - it’s a win for very short range EURO, though, which picked this up last night.

Yeah definitely virga. In fact, I was going to make that my obs

25F, moderate virga.

Looks like it will stay below freezing all day for a second straight day. Closing out January nicely!

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic