• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?

Typhoon Tip

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

HRRR is the official weenie deflator.

That 21z HRRR run looks strange... the eastern low, which materializes 4z-5z out of not much, refuses to fade the entire run, and so dynamics at our latitude shunt east faster than earlier runs.

Stranger things happen, but I'd think the vorticity over KY/WV (apparently with results on the ground) will be the main driver of SLP development.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I suggest for folks the improved look is less about zonking ( lol, not sure what the means ), and more about shedding the eastern "choke-low"

100%. the event is capped purely because it is booking along, but we could afford a healthier conveyer belt

1 minute ago, wxsniss said:

That 21z HRRR run looks strange... the eastern low, which materializes 4z-5z out of not much, refuses to fade the entire run, and so dynamics at our latitude shunt east faster than earlier runs.

Stranger things happen, but I'd think the vorticity over KY/WV (apparently with results on the ground) will be the main driver of SLP development.

Yeah it's a CAM which means it could be keying on that low a bit too much, or it's right...lol. Seems kind of an outlier, but something to watch.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

There may be a TROWAL formulation getting going. That deeper westerly cyclone node probably occludes to that "fake" low, but in reality ...it may be dominant - in route to becoming so in the next runs.

It would be a hoot if all this consternation all week was just convective feed-back hallucinations ... But anyway, as that eastern low decays in future guidance, that increases the elevated warm tongue wrapping back west -

I suggest for folks the improved look is less about zonking ( lol, not sure what the means ), and more about shedding the eastern "choke-low"

Agree, that's been the fly in the guidance ointment for days... both from perspective of low placement and conveyor mechanics.

See the 21z HRRR... it exemplifies that eastern low refusing to decay and shifting dynamics east faster. I think there's good reason to be skeptical of that with the intense vorticity over KY/WV and results on the ground, and the weaker-than-progged pressure/wind obs of our culprit off NC.

Just now, wxsniss said:

Agree, that's been the fly in the guidance ointment for days... both from perspective of low placement and conveyor mechanics.

See the 21z HRRR... it exemplifies that eastern low refusing to decay and shifting dynamics east faster. I think there's good reason to be skeptical of that with the intense vorticity over KY/WV and results on the ground, and the weaker-than-progged pressure/wind obs of our culprit off NC.

Yeah... this is an interesting now-cast later evening and night.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Gotta step away for a few... will post more realtime when I can

23z (18z 3k NAM left, mesoanalysis right)

3kNAM_Realtime_23z.thumb.jpg.85880c29b0b8357f07f143434f4f8812.jpg

fwiw, i am starting to see signs of a possible defined lower level circulation to the southeast of the radar returns

2 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Cool piece of history that when quabbin was made they sunk entire towns filling the reservoir. I didn't know that for years and years. 

Used to fish there a lot,  some remains of buildings are still visible, there's an island where a house was and the only thing left is the chimney, beautiful place, thinking of getting another boat and start fishing out there again. Good snow spot too.

• Like 1