• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?

Typhoon Tip

1 minute ago, wxsniss said:

18z 3k NAM (left) vs. mesoanalysis for 22z... this is promising... (the east system is weak / disorganized)

3kNAM_Realtime_22z.thumb.jpg.6ee6322b045e13185552175c39d79632.jpg

21z HRRR (vs. earlier runs) hangs on to the eastern SLP a little longer... let's hope it's wrong

Yeah. It looks pretty anemic at hour 0, but then boom, between hours 1 and 3 it just blows up the convection.

Wait, where have I seen that before? Oh yeah, just every single run for the entire day.

5 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

Wow that comparison looks like it bodes excellently for a consolidated evolution

The strength of the western low is 1008 mb right now, 4mb stronger than the NAM had it. The eastern low is also weaker, I’m not entirely sure what that means, but it’s probably a good sign that the storm as a whole will be stronger and more west. I hope so anyways.

2 minutes ago, George001 said:

The strength of the western low is 1008 mb right now, 4mb stronger than the NAM had it. The eastern low is also weaker, I’m not entirely sure what that means, but it’s probably a good sign that the storm as a whole will be stronger and more west. I hope so anyways.

The next several hours will be telling with that. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

18z 3k NAM (left) vs. mesoanalysis for 22z... this is promising... (the east system is weak / disorganized)

3kNAM_Realtime_22z.thumb.jpg.6ee6322b045e13185552175c39d79632.jpg

21z HRRR (vs. earlier runs) hangs on to the eastern SLP a little longer... let's hope it's wrong

Word of warning though, the radar returns on the spc mesoanalysis is always way underdone. It's a little more robust than that right now.

5 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Yeah. It looks pretty anemic at hour 0, but then boom, between hours 1 and 3 it just blows up the convection.

Wait, where have I seen that before? Oh yeah, just every single run for the entire day.

Yep, exemplified by 21z HRRR... between 4z and 5z Friday poof it develops a surface low far east that drives the show and refuses to give up the wheel... almost as if the strong vorticity rounding KY/WV were not there... doesn't make sense to me.

37 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yes... that has me worried for the Hartford area. Could definitely see a 10" jack in that mid level banding given the MAUL and good snow growth. 

Some pretty impressive signaling on the guidance since last night for Connecticut. There's still a few caveats but getting a bit hard to ignore some of the signals favoring heavy banding traversing much of the state. 

• Like 1

Just now, JC-CT said:

Word of warning though, the radar returns on the spc mesoanalysis is always way underdone. It's a little more robust than that right now.

Definitely, I actually assumed it was a radar sparse area over the ocean... I'm looking at the pressure and wind field response of the ocean low, which are clearly lagging at least vs. 18z 3k NAM.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

18z GFS almost looks like it's wrapping the convection into eastern MA by 12z Friday... Will mentioned this hypothetical earlier:

image.thumb.png.0ba5885dd79174d9d604e76e43d5b670.png

There may be a TROWAL formulation getting going. That deeper westerly cyclone node probably occludes to that "fake" low, but in reality ...it may be dominant - in route to becoming so in the next runs.

It would be a hoot if all this consternation all week was just convective feed-back hallucinations ... But anyway, as that eastern low decays in future guidance, that increases the elevated warm tongue wrapping back west -

I suggest for folks the improved look is less about zonking ( lol, not sure what the means ), and more about shedding the eastern "choke-low"

• Like 4

Roads are going to be a disaster tomorrow. I'm sure other states besides CT are having the same issue. 

Prolonged CT storm could pose ‘huge problem’ for shorthanded DOT, official says.

According to Eucalitto, there are 265 absences from the highway operations division, responsible for snow cleanup, along with 193 unfilled positions.

The absences, Eucalitto said, are DOT employees who have tested positive and are quarantining, or are waiting for a test in order to work.

https://www.ctinsider.com/news/article/Prolonged-CT-storm-could-pose-huge-problem-16752659.php

• Like 2