• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Agreed. The window for “wintry” here IMO is mid-January. As far as the pipe dream that the MJO is going into phase 8….we’ve been hearing that the MJO is going to phase 8 since Halloween now, it’s time for certain people to give that wishcast up, just like the SSW that we’ve been hearing is coming since November and the very weak SPV for Dec, Jan……

Ok, not sure who's being referenced. I think there's been plenty of warnings of various factors in these threads. 

• Like 1

The 18z NAM looks a lot more threatening for Monday than the previous runs. Significant changes. Southern shortwave is much sharper this run. That looks like it would produce a decent snowstorm in the mid-South through parts of the mid-Atlantic. We'd still probably need a little help to get snow to our region, but if this run is onto something real, it's something to watch for sure.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Yeah, this run with the EPS was better with moving the MJO again. It get wishy-washy sometimes so need a few more runs. But it was nice to see anyway. 

The EPS VP anomalies as of the 0z showed more motion to the east. Starts out in phase 6 next week and progresses over to phase 7 during the 2nd week of January. So it’s no surprise there is so much volatility from run to run with the NEPAC pattern. 

44427325-837F-4D1F-9AE0-82844E9CBCBC.thumb.png.381845aee0e45aeb72e7816197bb78ad.png

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The EPS VP anomalies as of the 0z showed more motion to the east. Starts out in phase 6 next week and progresses over to phase 7 during the 2nd week of January. So it’s no surprise there is so much volatility from run to run with the NEPAC pattern. 

44427325-837F-4D1F-9AE0-82844E9CBCBC.thumb.png.381845aee0e45aeb72e7816197bb78ad.png

Yes, that's true. It seemed to want to linger more near Indonesia on the 00z run though to me. So that gave me pause. I've seen that before. This run was moving it along a bit better again though. So we'll see if that continues for a few runs. Tricky situation with that warm pool and La Niña. 

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Gfs ticked northwest with the storm on the 3rd

The GFS is has a pretty wound up southern stream shortwave. It looks a lot like the NAM, just about 8 hours faster. That's gotta be a good hit for parts of the mid-Atlantic. Nice trend at 18z with the American guidance.

• Like 3

The RGEM is not nearly as sharp in the SE as the GFS/NAM, but it still managed to get a little backside snow to EPA, CNJ, NYC etc. Maybe the start of a trend? I find the RGEM much more believable with a more strung out look instead of the wound up look. Not sure if that's just pessimism. 

Agreed. The window for “wintry” here IMO is mid-January. As far as the pipe dream that the MJO is going into phase 8….we’ve been hearing that the MJO is going to phase 8 since Halloween now, it’s time for certain people to give that wishcast up, just like the SSW that we’ve been hearing is coming since November and the very weak SPV for Dec, Jan……

I like how negative you are and how positive other people are; I figure it helps novices like me to split the difference between the two, and the outcome will be there in the middle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, eduggs said:

The 18z NAM looks a lot more threatening for Monday than the previous runs. Significant changes. Southern shortwave is much sharper this run. That looks like it would produce a decent snowstorm in the mid-South through parts of the mid-Atlantic. We'd still probably need a little help to get snow to our region, but if this run is onto something real, it's something to watch for sure.

18Z GFS is moving precip further north into our area again

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_15.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

overall, this event is certainly a "thread the needle" type storm, but things still look interesting given today's trend of a stronger, slower SS vort with less NS interaction. a GFS-like solution cannot be discarded at this juncture

it looks like the American models are doing a decent job with this, as the ECMWF and RGEM took some steps towards the GFS/NAM. the 18z ECMWF made a nice shift towards a more favorable solution:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.thumb.gif.0b0b05b10be21cbac5a89dc2a85c7b52.gif

of course, this remains rather unlikely, but I think it's worth looking to see if the 00z runs continue this trend

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

No thread from me on the Sunday night-Monday morning event/non event. Have seen all that is spoken of above from the past 4 hours (3PM onward).  EPS/GEFS give an inch or less to entire NYC subforum. WPC midday issuance has 10-29% 3+" far se NJ. This plus the 18z/EC operational is dry here Sunday night-Monday morning which all guides me to wait til tomorrow mornings model adjustments for a thread, if any.  

Could be a period of snow or flurries, esp LI/s of I80 in NJ but so far no sign of an 850 low with the second wave so, myself, I need to withhold the love for much, if anything.  It's possible this scenario will adjust north on the 00z or 12z/31 related cycles?

I am picking up on some SREF ZR- in southern NYS (BGM area) with the transition to colder Sunday. 

So Chicago picked up its first snow of around 2" Dec 28-29, and now with a 60% chance of more than 6" on NYD. It' going forecast is 3-5". Can that eventually happen here this winter? Hope so. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, eduggs said:

The RGEM is not nearly as sharp in the SE as the GFS/NAM, but it still managed to get a little backside snow to EPA, CNJ, NYC etc. Maybe the start of a trend? I find the RGEM much more believable with a more strung out look instead of the wound up look. Not sure if that's just pessimism. 

mentioned on WABC tonight they are monitoring a possible snow event for early Monday

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wdrag said:

No thread from me on the Sunday night-Monday morning event/non event. Have seen all that is spoken of above from the past 4 hours (3PM onward).  EPS/GEFS give an inch or less to entire NYC subforum. WPC midday issuance has 10-29% 3+" far se NJ. This plus the 18z/EC operational is dry here Sunday night-Monday morning which all guides me to wait til tomorrow mornings model adjustments for a thread, if any.  

Could be a period of snow or flurries, esp LI/s of I80 in NJ but so far no sign of an 850 low with the second wave so, myself, I need to withhold the love for much, if anything.  It's possible this scenario will adjust north on the 00z or 12z/31 related cycles?

I am picking up on some SREF ZR- in southern NYS (BGM area) with the transition to colder Sunday. 

So Chicago picked up its first snow of around 2" Dec 28-29, and now with a 60% chance of more than 6" on NYD. It' going forecast is 3-5". Can that eventually happen here this winter? Hope so. 

it's better to have it south of us at this point the trend has been for everything to shift north for years now

As others have said the southern S/W has to slow down and amp so the snow can reach far enough north. I wouldn't buy anything outside of 72hrs this winter so I guess that's a plus that it won't just snow in Richmond and the Delmarva, but the trend this "winter" so far has been very progressive, so that's a reason to think it won't happen. I guess keep an eye out but odds are against it. 

Latest NAM shows the problem-stays too positively tilted/progressive so whatever does form is shunted straight out to sea. That would be congrats Norfolk even. Would be fitting for this season. 

• Like 1

GFS lost the Monday event like the NAM. The southern shortwave is clearly a very sensitive feature. The wide ensemble spread supports this sensitivity too. Since the majority of guidance for several runs says we don't get any snow out of this, that is clearly the most likely outcome. But based on the individual ensemble members, we should probably expect something like one or two out of 10 operational runs to be hits or near misses. And maybe that's the approximate likelihood of getting some snow out of this in our region.

13 hours ago, bluewave said:

Besides the MJO, the strength and coupling of the La Niña/-PDO, the SPV was another poorly forecasted factor going into this winter, we kept hearing that we would see a weak to very weak SPV for December and January, now we have anything but with no signs whatsoever of a SSW and signals that it may couple with the troposphere going into late month: 

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

Besides the MJO, the strength and coupling of the La Niña/-PDO, the SPV was another poorly forecasted factor going into this winter, we kept hearing that we would see a weak to very weak SPV for December and January, now we have anything but with no signs whatsoever of a SSW and signals that it may couple with the troposphere going into late month: 

Pacific is going to improve according to the models. That should help the pattern .

• Like 1

EPS with another decent run moving the MJO along on the 00z. Some signs of it making it's way back around to the warm pool area for later in the month. Will keep monitoring it. That would seem to make sense to me. Nice run again with the western ridging. Hopefully we can make something happen with that while we have it.

• Like 3