Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

9 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

12z GFS w/ 41" at IAD, 33" at DCA, 29" at BWI next weekend. Somehow, Ji will scoff at this, but holey moley am I excited about the next three weeks. Could be an epic time. Haven't been this optimistic since 2009 - 2010.

Ji won't scoff at this at all. The problem is, for Ji, this is now the low bar and anything less is a disaster. This storm might already be ruined for him. The downside of long tracks I suppose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Ji won't scoff at this at all. The problem is, for Ji, this is now the low bar and anything less is a disaster. This storm might already be ruined for him. The downside of long tracks I suppose. 

We should really be investing in cryogenic suspension. That way all the weenies can go to sleep and wake up when the storm is 48 hours away. 

Textbook mid atl KU setup on mslp panels. Look at that freekin squeeze play on the banana high. I'll take the under on 1045mb but if the "shape" of the sprawling high looks like that (at any time in the next 3 weeks), it satisfies  one of the most important ingredients for a KU...

gfs_mslpaNorm_us_44.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Weenie 4

The reason the gfs has such a monster is a perfect stream phase leading in with solid confluence overhead. This will always create a big storm somewhere. Problem is, the odds of a global op nailing a stream phase beyond 5 days is very very low. 10 days? Lol. Fun fiction but not much more. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_41.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The reason the gfs has such a monster is a perfect stream phase leading in with solid confluence overhead. This will always create a big storm somewhere. Problem is, the odds of a global op nailing a stream phase beyond 5 days is very very low. 10 days? Lol. Fun fiction but not much more. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_41.png

Perfect timing for the WinterWxLuvr in house model op run probability of being correct function. Days on the horizontal axis and probability on the vertical. 

9222AED6-8003-467D-88BA-96BA17E42AFF.thumb.jpeg.8c1929a77bc08bf494e48608b09f2424.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Wow...I mean I know it's still very early, but...how do you have this potential in a nina? Lol More STJ than usual?

This is the part of weather that constantly shows us that we are a long way away from really predicting anything seasonally when it comes to snowfall around here (or anywhere really). Some enso phases are better than others. That's indisputable. But that never stops counter periods of compressed and busy winter wx from happening. It just happens sometimes for reasons nobody can or will predict. Nino, Nina, nada, it doesn't matter.

Neither does a raging +AO/NAO combo. Yea, that can def be a big problem. But 2013-14 and some of 2015 dropped by and reminded us to not think we know enough about the atmosphere for any kind of definitive calls at monthly or seasonal ranges. Just enjoy what we may or may not get as things look good in the mid range and forget about enso or any super long range thing for now. Time to make hay or something like that 

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic