Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

29 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I’m

Part of the reason that flood was so bad was not just because it was a very warm atmospheric river… but also because it slammed into California and Nevada RIGHT AFTER THE REGION EXPERIENCED SEVERAL HEAVY SNOWFALLS WITH LOW SNOW LEVELS!!! 

Just Before that flood, We had deep snow all over Reno and Western Nevada as well as the mountains. I talk about the Bain of low snowfall in Sparks… well when that atmospheric river hit, our house in Sparks had 6 inches of snow on the ground and other parts of Reno had 12 to 18 inches. NeverMind the mountains. So yeah it was a recipe for disaster.

You might recall a similar flood happened in 2004-2005. That year there was 2 to 3 FEET of snow all over Reno. Followed by a flood but this flood IIRC was not as devastating. I wasn’t living there in 2005 I was in Rhode Island getting buried in Nor’easters.

We moved in august 2004 to CT so I do t think I remember that as vividly…..plenty of folks on here will remember what hakkened in RI any year…..they have like a photographic memory….it’s weird

9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

You would be surprised. I have two 4x6s and it was a handful keeping up with the beans and squash.

I tried doing everything by seed this past season and I definitely had similar tomato/pepper issues. Also notice the carrots were pretty small. I ended up buying pepper plants and those did great, my tomato finally popped around August and we got a handful of fruit, but I think that may have been shaded by the beans by then. 

The kale/broccoli gets destroyed by caterpillars. 

Cabbage worms eventually get my kale as well, but those leaves go directly to the chickens. A little extra protein in that kale. 

@Snowcrazed71I apologize for posting your PM, but in the future, please do not DM me a slew of insults. If you do not have the balls to call me names publicly, then don't do it period. You are taking this too personal, man. I have nothing against you...I was just trolling you because you were heated.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

@Snowcrazed71I apologize for posting your PM, but in the future, please do not DM me a slew of insults. If you do not have the balls to call me names publicly, then don't do it period. You are taking this too personal, man. I have nothing against you...I was just trolling you because you were heated.

Fair enough. The same goes for me. I did get heated, I am a little pissed off that I'm quarantined and we brought our eight-year-old home yesterday to live with us permanently. Things can be a lot worse I know. I apologize to you as well

• Like 5

10 hours ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I am looking into buying myself a Kia. I will tell you what. Kia is a good car company at this point and offers rather attractive, competent vehicles. They offer things that are relatively inexpensive even in this economy. $22000 out the door for a Kia Soul loaded with tech.

Now the main point of my post is that I am disturbed about the trends in Automobile business. Car companies are starting to phase out…. Cars. They are beefing up marketing of the ubiquitous and industry-wide monotonous crossover unibody SUVs 

These SUVs are nice vehicles, it’s just that the problem is they cost Forty Five Thousand Dollars. It concerns me that the industry might end up getting rid of options that cost around $25,000, and many Americans might no longer be able to afford any vehicles because Economy Car options are starting to go away.

I would like to think that the purchasing power of the hands of Americans will force auto makers to continue to produce economy options even if there are less variants to purchase… but considering the fact I am a millenial and a very large fraction of us and Gen Z have been long-priced out of the option of buying a home, I am not totally confident. of course, people really need cars to get to work so that alone should apply force in the auto industry and their offerings.

I have a 2019 Kia Sorrento and i can tell you its a beast in the snow with the AWD, I don't even need to engage the traction control.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Fair enough. The same goes for me. I did get heated, I am a little pissed off that I'm quarantined and we brought our eight-year-old home yesterday to live with us permanently. Things can be a lot worse I know. I apologize to you as well

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Get well and here's a to a better weather pattern in the new year.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

16 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

@dendrite @dryslotand other gardeners.

My wife and I are making a small area of raised beds in our backyard. Each bed will be 4x6…. I’m making them out of 40 2x4x10… I have a set of plans.

Anyway, what are some good vegetables that I can just plant seeds in the spring and go? We don’t have the space or time to start stuff indoors and transplant.

Also, is it easier just to buy tomato plants and cucumber plants than starting from seed?

Are potato’s a viable option?

You don’t have to wait until spring in order to obtain produce from your garden.  I have lettuce and parsley growing in mine right now.  They are quite hardy and will withstand cold temperatures.  I have been down to 17 with calm winds and our plants are fine.

F54BB87C-6AD1-4710-97DF-DEBEA8DB80A0.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

You don’t have to wait until spring in order to obtain produce from your garden.  I have lettuce and parsley growing in mine right now.  They are quite hardy and will withstand cold temperatures.  I have been down to 17 with calm winds and our plants are fine.

Not happening here.......lol, And i have some of those earth boxes as well, I like them a lot.

8BCB3361-8667-4094-99CD-C8F851D2194B.png

30 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

We’re still eating red leaf lettuce out of the garden here too. Parsley going strong as well. In 30 years, we’ll get tomatoes until Thanksgiving. 

• Like 1

@TauntonBlizzard2013 sugar snap Peas are good to start from seed, outdoors, harvest in June and start a new batch.

We did potatoes last year in grow bags that did well.

I'd start your stuff from seedlings, if you don't have the space indoors to starts seeds.  

Do some research on succession planting, so you're always growing and your space is efficient.  For example, we plant garlic in November, harvest in July, plant carrots in their place, harvest in November, plant garlic again.

Lastly, some plants are more compatible growing next to each other - important for a small garden.  All resesrchable.  I'm sure UMASS has a cooperative extension as UNH and UMaine do.  They'll have resources (tips) specific for your climo. (Edit: https://ag.umass.edu/resources/home-lawn-garden)

48 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Snow collapsed my small high-tunnel the other day.  RIP winter spinach.  Did just dig out the last batch of carrots, though.

I leave nearly half the carrots in the ground and pile leaves atop.  They should be dug within a day or three of the snow melting off in spring, before they start their 2nd year root growth.  I've had minimal rodent damage under the snow, and Bolero (from Johnny's) is sweet in the fall and sweeter in the spring, in part because fresh carrots that season usually travel thousands of miles to get here.
Other overwintering/growth is impractical w/o a heated greenhouse.  Each of our winters have gotten down to at least -12 and only 5 of 23 have failed to reach -20.  (And 4 have touched the -30s.)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I leave nearly half the carrots in the ground and pile leaves atop.  They should be dug within a day or three of the snow melting off in spring, before they start their 2nd year root growth.  I've had minimal rodent damage under the snow, and Bolero (from Johnny's) is sweet in the fall and sweeter in the spring, in part because fresh carrots that season usually travel thousands of miles to get here.
Other overwintering/growth is impractical w/o a heated greenhouse.  Each of our winters have gotten down to at least -12 and only 5 of 23 have failed to reach -20.  (And 4 have touched the -30s.)

Nice.  These were our first year with Bolero and they came out great.  We pulled them today because we're out, and the kids were excited to dig in the dirt.

Carrots and said collapsed tunnel:

Screenshot_20211228-134309_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211228-134331_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ice1972 said:

We moved in august 2004 to CT so I do t think I remember that as vividly…..plenty of folks on here will remember what hakkened in RI any year…..they have like a photographic memory….it’s weird

Well i suppose RI is in east coast megalopolis. And unlike Sierra and even Reno-Targeting systems, a more-Easter might bury millions of people in snow in one fell swoop.

Eastern California and Western NV is sort of more sparsely populated, with more transient types. And The entire Washoe County has way less than half the population as RI, over three times the area size that possesses a vast array of microclimates.

On second thought too the flood of ‘97 was definitely far more destructive, and lethal, than 2005

12 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

RIP John Madden. A legend. 

I met Madden in 1969 after the Raiders beat the Oilers in a playoff game. My brother and I got lost and ended up walking in the Raiders locker room with the Raiders families. Lol I got a lot of autographs from the huge Raiders. Madden came over to my brother and I and asked where were we from. Listened and shook our hands and asked if we played football.  When we said yes he said well how did we play today, we laughed, they won 56-7. He said good answer. Lol Bigger than life to me as a 12 year old.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I met Madden in 1969 after the Raiders beat the Oilers in a playoff game. My brother and I got lost and ended up walking in the Raiders locker room with the Raiders families. Lol I got a lot of autographs from the huge Raiders. Madden came over to my brother and I and asked where were we from. Listened and shook our hands and asked if we played football.  When we said yes he said well how did we play today, we laughed, they won 56-7. He said good answer. Lol Bigger than life to me as a 12 year old

Cool, back when you could get away with neat things like that.  Why is the goal post in the front, seems dangerous. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I met Madden in 1969 after the Raiders beat the Oilers in a playoff game. My brother and I got lost and ended up walking in the Raiders locker room with the Raiders families. Lol I got a lot of autographs from the huge Raiders. Madden came over to my brother and I and asked where were we from. Listened and shook our hands and asked if we played football.  When we said yes he said well how did we play today, we laughed, they won 56-7. He said good answer. Lol Bigger than life to me as a 12 year old.

Was that at the Oakland Coliseum?  lol back then when just wandering around you could just stumble upon something like that - that would never happen now......I used to deliver pizza to his house on the regular back in the mid 90's......a couple of times I got invited inside - the football shit in there was epic.....he was huge and a larger than life dude in a whole number of ways....BOOM!!! RIP

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ice1972 said:

Was that at the Oakland Coliseum?  lol back then when just wandering around you could just stumble upon something like that - that would never happen now......I used to deliver pizza to his house on the regular back in the mid 90's......a couple of times I got invited inside - the football shit in there was epic.....he was huge and a larger than life dude in a whole number of ways....BOOM!!! RIP

So cool. Yes Oakland Alameda