Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

H5 is deceptive...look at the 2m temp anomalies.

Its not the same.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Delta change still a nice gradient look

index (25).png

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

It’s also highlighting the change from the previous run.  The look is actually nice for us.

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not sure I agree with this statement though, "snow/cold freaks enjoy the negative side of life and outcomes..."

In a vacuum I definitely do not; the end of the sentence does not follow logically from the beginning. Otherwise, I have trouble finding a context where this kind of dead-panned assumption of motivation, consigning all, can be true. 

Some ..in fact, most that I have ever met, Meteorologists and weather enthusiasts alike, are drawn to drama first - not people flying through the air, nor property being shredded off foundations.   There is an important distinction between the draw, and taking say ... 'schadenfreude' when observing harm unfold. 

The draw to drama is entirely ( by the way ...) a survival instinct.  For those that do not fixate on specters, tend to succumb to them - eventually..  That draw and fascination for the dystopian cinemas of nature, to wit, the cinema of 'big storm graphics' ... that draw is far in way more having to do with that instinct - but ... people then get a charge out of that excitement and then get addicted ( in a sense... ) and that's a whole 'nother phenomenon... 

Anyway, much of that is often misconstrued as some form of morality failing.  I'm disinclined to agree.  The total motivation is nuanced, but just in general here.

Does this have anything to do with me almost getting struck by lighting while enjoying a strong thunderstorm outside in a parking lot in 2016?

I don't - still - think the Euro is going to win taking a low NW of New England,  *IF* the -NAO is western limb oriented.  That's physically less likely.. The model will likely not have done that anomalous behavior last night and this morning's cycle, if it didn't wash it's 120 hour range with amplitude like it always does... after which it then has to 'conserve it's own invention'

So a little snark there, but heh... no -  It can happen, but it's too rare and not likely handled at this range.  The NAO is the wild card - it's a fickle beast in the models. 

If the block is for real around Christmas, I bet things either end up sheared to some mood flakes on/around Christmas or at least some nuisance wintry weather. If the block doesn't occur or is pushed further back, then probably ends up similar or even warmer than yesterday...

Going to be the first true cold night tonight, already down to 31.6° with some wind...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

If the block is for real around Christmas, I bet things either end up sheared to some mood flakes on/around Christmas or at least some nuisance wintry weather. If the block doesn't occur or is pushed further back, then probably ends up similar or even warmer than yesterday...

Going to be the first true cold night tonight, already down to 31.6° with some wind...

This is real cold. Dropped all day here 27.6. CAA cold is ferocious 

• Haha 1

In all honesty, how is it even possible to make a forecast a week or more out. There is not one model that has been consistent. And I dont mean a little off, I'm talking one extreme to another within 24 hours. 

Point is, no one can really make a confident forecast on what the weather will do if it's several days out. Its so crazy. I don't remember it being this volatile ever!?

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

In all honesty, how is it even possible to make a forecast a week or more out. There is not one model that has been consistent. And I dont mean a little off, I'm talking one extreme to another within 24 hours. 

Point is, no one can really make a confident forecast on what the weather will do if it's several days out. Its so crazy. I don't remember it being this volatile ever!?

I just cut to the chase and told my family there’s a 30 per cent chance of snow on Christmas. 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Data overload. Genuine question for the Mets. Were forecasts more accurate within 7 days when there was less data say 10+ yrs ago?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The pattern going forward, is definitely not the same after Christmas. We went over that tons of times.

This is instance of a true troll post...its not factually correct. There is major retrograding NAO block seeping cold down the coast, so showing an H5 image of a se ridge due to the RNA is pretty misleading.

36 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Data overload. Genuine question for the Mets. Were forecasts more accurate within 7 days when there was less data say 10+ yrs ago?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

I’m not a met.  But to answer your question nothing was ever accurate at d7.  In fact, the original gfs had the short range AVN that went out to 72 hours and the longer range MRF to d10 which was (and still is) ultra lala land.  Cmc went to d6 mainly available on the shitty graphics environment Canada.  The euro was run once daily (12z) with plots in 24 hour increments.  And it wasn’t available until around 7pm.  Some of the mets had better access but we would wait for unisys output to d6.   Later d7.  Few had access to eps so one of the mets would describe it but were not allowed to post it.

Accuracy through d4/5 is better vs 15+ years ago but there’s so much availability and so much trust that everyone presumes the models sucked.  I remember pd2.   The euro had the idea but the track was way off until d4 when it locked in.  Same for all the biggies.   

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I realize y’all point the troll finger but has he said anything that’s not true tho ?

Agreed he has not said anything incorrect, however would like to see him step up and and provide an opinion on the upcoming pattern change. I respect people who stick their neck out and provide forecasts/opinions (forecast).

I asked him his opinion on the upcoming change will see if he responds.

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Agreed he has not said anything incorrect, however would like to see him step up and and provide an opinion on the upcoming pattern change. I respect people who stick their neck out and provide forecasts/opinions (forecast).

I asked him his opinion on the upcoming change will see if he responds.

He won’t. He got quite a talking to today from mods. You’ll see different things moving forward . Not a met . Trolls .. and a fake mod. Nothing going for him 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Tick tick.  Decent snow for many during the day on the front end.  Pike region looks good.  You can see the nao keeping that press going so the trend is good.

Yes… wouldn’t take much to get that a mainly snow event, but looks mild after.:. Almost like a spring event 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1