Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

EPS still looks like a warm risk Christmas. We finally sort of move things east a bit on guidance after Christmas. I’m not hopeful for things to finally going right (at least in SNE) until that happens. Pray for the 6z gfs but my thought is more towards the NY.

Pants tent pattern on both EPS/GEfS post-Xmas. 

image.thumb.gif.ef35d4dc5dd61f49ec638286fd39349c.gif

image.thumb.png.accafcf3193b8b1443905a598fc49854.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Exactly. Maybe with any luck we can get a bone thrown our way prior.

Xmas is still somewhat interesting. Wish we had a stronger push of cold but at least there NAO block is actively retrograding while that system approaches so there’s room for models to correct better on that one unlike the previous system. Not holding out a lot of hope but not tossing yet. 

And while no OP model shows this right now, I noticed that several ensemble members on both EPS and GEFS eject some energy for 12/24 so a few of them had something for that day instead. 

The flip side of the equation is that if the NAO block doesn’t press down as much, we could still have flamingos and parrots for Xmas. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Xmas is still somewhat interesting. Wish we had a stronger push of cold but at least there NAO block is actively retrograding while that system approaches so there’s room for models to correct better on that one unlike the previous system. Not holding out a lot of hope but not tossing yet. 

And while no OP model shows this right now, I noticed that several ensemble members on both EPS and GEFS eject some energy for 12/24 so a few of them had something for that day instead. 

The flip side of the equation is that if the NAO block doesn’t press down as much, we could still have flamingos and parrots for Xmas. 

I saw that too for the 24th. The gfs interesting for Christmas in that it swings the cold down from Maine into SNE. Could be another I-90 north deal but it wants to push in as the storm moves off the cape. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Maybe we can muster the same dispersion of winter we just had.

8 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Maybe we can muster the same dispersion of winter we just had.

Could be very similar actually. But at least this one has a more realistic chance of trending south and colder because you have an active retrograde of the NAO block occurring.  

58 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Could be very similar actually. But at least this one has a more realistic chance of trending south and colder because you have an active retrograde of the NAO block occurring.  

Awesome. If we are getting a repeat of yesterday… just give me 75 and sunny so I can enjoy the weather outdoors 

• Like 2

Egh ...  I was gonna write about it. Even considered a new thread, "Anatomy of a White Christmas," that covers the scaffolding of major atmospheric, mass field modes --> modalities, replete with annotated graphics ...etc. Then, onward to elaborating how those might parlay into better chances to Currier&Ives the appeal of Xmas Eve through Boxing Day then we may think.

Alas! Will ( bastard! ) beat me to it.

J/k Will..

I mean he's succinctly covered the generality, and why/how the 'correction vector' toward ( what I believe would mean ) less likeliness for a Euro wound up western Ontario low by D7.   

I just want to offer some more specific insights/observations re the dailies:  The differences track back to roughly/beginning D5.5/6, off the 00z runs when comparing the Euro and the GFS operational version ( the GGEM is mid way between so take for what that source is by least regrets.   I won't for this exercise.. )

Looking first over Ds 2.5 - 5, the flow construct is, in essence, not significantly different between the two - and for what it is worth .. the means of both ens systems don't urge questioning much either.  They have an 'outside slider' type trough curling down the Cali/west Coast, turning E and probably bringing mud slides to the elevations E of San Fernando Valley.  From there on the -EPO trough ejects these mechanics into the crucially different morphology.

Look over lower Saskatchewan/Manitoba by D6 ... ?  By then these models have completely divorced in falling diametrically out of sync with one another.  The Euro has a tightly nucleated, deep negative anomaly in that vicinity, amid a negate regional nadir in the height fields. Contrasting, the GFS bifurcates teh flow west of there, with the N component ridging amid those same skies, while said ejected trough coherence cuts underneath toward Chicago...

The reason for this difference isn't abundantly clear, but it has meaningful forcing implications heading in Xmas day and the 26th from the Lakes to New England ( and all of this could be move up in time, too, nodding to the antecedent persistent fast flow state that's more of an on-going corrective, endemic hemispheric footprint ).  This flow type of the GFS with the trough underneath, is a progressive low-amplitude REX configuration; those typically wrought winter headaches.

Despite these significant mid/upper air differences aloft, the Euro surface featuring/version actually is not hugely different than the GFS for east of BUF... certainly ALB as we head toward the 24th.  Both version initially maintain a bit of '50/50' low CAA leading, and start overrunning and snowing by dawn on Xmas, but... the Euro then has huge momentum in warm sector push and ends up cold raining and clear to southern NH. 

But those details are all going to change of course. I suspect if the EPS/GEFs mean, which both show Greenland/-NAO node tending to move S toward the D. Straight region is correct, that is going to offer less support for Lakes transits ( like Will said. ) So I'm precariously close to restating his ... heh. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m getting kind of sick of “past x date it’s going to be awesome” is it?

I dunno. Pre-Xmas was always precarious even if still possible. It’s not like guidance is pushing back the blocking. If anything, guidance has improved since a week ago....remember when the SE ridge was poking into SNE on all the longer range guidance about a week ago? You don’t see that now. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I dunno. Pre-Xmas was always precarious even if still possible. It’s not like guidance is pushing back the blocking. If anything, guidance has improved since a week ago....remember when the SE ridge was poking into SNE on all the longer range guidance about a week ago? You don’t see that now. 

Thanks Will. It’s a good look coming up…I have no issues waiting a bit.  December is always precarious here in SNE. Sometimes ya get hit..more times ya don’t. Climo is quickly swinging in our favor too.  And to be fair, it isn’t even winter yet officially.