Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Look at all the green trees in BTV. Amazing . Looks like DC

That view looks like it couldn’t be any further from what I experienced all day today… and only like 15-20 miles away as the crow flies.

Meanwhile the plows are out on the other side of Chittenden County.

BTV is in another world, it’s so awesome the local variation.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Downtown BTV still half leaves.. and green ! 

They’ll give you a run for your money on first freeze by the warm lake and urban environment.  You might even beat the waterfront there.

Then in the spring when everyone else is leaf out that area is still chilled as icebergs float in the harbor lol.  Learn the hard way at UVM how much lag BTV downtown has because of that lake.  75F in April at UVM and 46F at the waterfront three miles away.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve hit 32 twice now . But no green leaves other than some random vines and underbrush . Should freeze tomorrow night finally 

Yeah I can tell you those green trees in the city streets haven’t sniffed freezing yet along the water and urban heat.  Probably like 38F has been the coldest there, barely under 40F.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah and so did December 2005 and Jan 2009 for a couple others off top of my head. I think even Dec 2017 may have been positive but not a raging +PNA like ensembles show. 

Getting a raging +PNA in a Niña is very good though...even if just for a few weeks. Lots of northern stream goodies for us. 

Well, I was mentioning Nina events that had very negative PDO, but yea, those seasons had some PNA, too.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, I was mentioning Nina events that had very negative PDO, but yea, those seasons had some PNA, too.

08-09 was severely -PDO. 05-06 was not. 

But this year is on another level. I think Nick posted last week that this might be the most negative since the 1955-56 Niña. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

They’ll give you a run for your money on first freeze by the warm lake and urban environment.  You might even beat the waterfront there.

Then in the spring when everyone else is leaf out that area is still chilled as icebergs float in the harbor lol.  Learn the hard way at UVM how much lag BTV downtown has because of that lake.  75F in April at UVM and 46F at the waterfront three miles away.

UVM is only a mile from waterfront. 

6 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

UVM is only a mile from waterfront. 

Ha good catch, I was thinking airport for some reason.  Even that mile though... everyone would be out on the Redstone campus green, sunning themselves in the first warmth of April or May.   As freshmen we all made the mistake of heading down to the lake thinking it would be better to hang out there in the warmth than up on campus.  Get down to North Beach and it's like 20-30 degrees colder with a wind off the 40 degree water.  Back into the car and back up the hill to UVM where it was warm and outside the cold sink bubble of the water.