Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major Noreaster 10-26 through 10-27

ineedsnow

16 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

This is and Feb 2013 are probably the two worst tree damage storms of past decade in SE Mass. I might be missing a couple others, maybe March 2018?

And those trees are going to be sitting in people's yards for quite some time. Almost impossible to schedule tree companies even before the storm.

24 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Was surprised to see an 80 MPH gust in Bristol Harbor...

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BOX&product=PNS&issuedby=BOX&fbclid=IwAR1xJ78AbmKII7FkGmM9fQ8GnowVipFCBFniU047-YyJzVLPTCfcjQi1zDE

Power is out for 3/4 town here, and most of Warren as well.  Weirdly, less outages on Aquidneck Island. Most of the outages started at around 5:30 or so, must have been some big gusts...

77 at URI. Lots of roads closed and trees down per friends from Hopkinton to Wakefield RI

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

March 2018 may be worse lol. Although to be fair I haven’t seen much of Plymouth county this go around. 

Yeah, now that I recall..March 2018 was the storm where a giant pine came about 5 ft away from taking me out while on the toilet. That one some wild winds, and I'm guessing there was more of an inversion to deal with? .so quite impressive. 

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

That makes sense, outside of microbursts,  Bobs max wind gusts on the upper cape away from the coast weren't terribly high...like 65-80mph.  Otis didn't crack 80 iirc.  Also, it was a dry storm.

Not everywhere.  The 6.41" I had in Gardiner, Maine is the greatest calendar-day rain I've measured since beginning to observe in 1962.  Bob is also the only TC of my experience in which the backside winds G60+) were as strong as frontside, though 95% of the rain came before the switch. 
(Greatest in 24 hr came August 1971 in NNJ from Doria [5.10" during the wee hours] plus the PRE [3.80'] the day before.)

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

And those trees are going to be sitting in people's yards for quite some time. Almost impossible to schedule tree companies even before the storm.

Yup, which will lead to a lot of DIY chainsaw work.  So many things that can go wrong trying to cut up a large downed tree.So many things that can go wrong trying to cut up a large downed tree if you don’t know what you’re doing.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yup, which will lead to a lot of DIY chainsaw work.  So many things that can go wrong trying to cut up a large downed tree.So many things that can go wrong trying to cut up a large downed tree if you don’t know what you’re doing.

It can't be overstated. Google man/chainsaw/cape next week and I'm sure you'll get plenty of hits

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I wish i had some of the baseball cards that i had clothes pinned on my stingray back in the day, I bet i had some valuable ones.

To top it off mom threw them all out when I was a teenager one time when she was getting rid of attic junk.  Wish I had them-they included a Topps Hank Aaron among others.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Pretty cool radar… similar in look to upslope.  I’m assuming it’s speed convergence as the fast flow off the water slows due to land friction and you get lift/precip along the South Shore in consistently same spots, with the best echos mirroring the coastline orientation.

9EE42996-F37F-4AA3-8777-970EBFA7BEAB.gif.ac46ef3e765582021f17a4d111b098b0.gif

Man, if this was snow.... 

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Pretty cool radar… similar in look to upslope.  I’m assuming it’s speed convergence as the fast flow off the water slows due to land friction and you get lift/precip along the South Shore in consistently same spots, with the best echos mirroring the coastline orientation.

9EE42996-F37F-4AA3-8777-970EBFA7BEAB.gif.ac46ef3e765582021f17a4d111b098b0.gif

misery mist

Cashes Ledge was reporting 23-24-foot waves this afternoon.  Also, Mt. Desert Rock had 50+ kt NE winds while George's Bank was reporting 4-6 kt SE breeze.
Block island buoy had a 16 ft swell on it from the north when I checked, 2hich you don't see too often. I also saw pictures of surfable waves on north facing land in Narragansett bay.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk