Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2021-2022 Ski season thread

Skivt2

1 hour ago, bch2014 said:

Skied Pats Peak this afternoon for a couple hours...

Pretty icy with a layer of granular sugar on top, but still had fun.

The amount of snow they have blown (especially given their southern location) is incredible. Deep, deep base depths on all open trails (they're about 60% open) with the guns roaring on the trails that are still closed. Very impressed-hadn't skied there since 2013 (and probably won't again for awhile-I just had a Indy Pass ticket so there was no incremental cost), but what a great showing they're putting on.

The pictures I see in reports from Pat's always show some nice looking bump runs for southern New England and a short drive. Been wanting to check it out for years. 

53 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

The pictures I see in reports from Pat's always show some nice looking bump runs for southern New England and a short drive. Been wanting to check it out for years. 

Yeah-Can’t speak to the bump runs so much, but they have 3-4 trails on the “main face” that are pretty steep for ~400-500 vertical. 

On 12/20/2021 at 11:05 PM, Froude said:

What I wouldn't do to be holed up in the Sierra this week. While we debate inches they're doing it in feet over there. For Kirkwood...

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 11.57.18 PM.png

Thats frackin ridiculous. Even snowblowers would be challenged by all that snow. Probably well over 15 feet of fresh snow, windpacked too, in ONLY 7 days! Better have top shelf snowshoes or else a strong strong lodge and plenty of stocked food and water. I'd be very concerned about cornices building and avalanching hazards.

22 hours ago, MarkO said:

Skied Vista on natural snow. If they could muster another 6" or so, they might be able to open more natural terrain. 

Vista Way is one of my absolute favorite trails in all of NE. Maybe a combination of the views and the terrain but it never gets old.

I saw it was open on the trail report and thought 'ouch' - there are a lot of rocks and given its exposure, lot of snow gets blown off especially on the right side. I've definitely hit a few things on it over the years!

16 hours ago, Angus said:

OMG, reality is a beeyotch lol.  Love the frozen washboard track quote.  Way too much of that this year.  I feel like most trails in the northeast right now are basically 18" of ice.  The west is stealing our snow!!!

We were at Bromley Mon-Wed.  We always come up this week and the snow is usually disappointing this early in the season, but it was fine.  Pretty soft snow, which helped because it's not getting pushed off the trail as easily.  But there are plenty of ice patches.  We are going back Friday, then it looks like rain off and on this weekend.

6 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Anyone skied the last few days?  How bad does it suck?

Depends on where, rode Stratton tues/weds and with minimal trails open it got dicey quickly with ice and Moguls. Driving back currently from sugar bush where it was much much better. Still limited terrain but conditions were so much better overall with limited ice and much more snow. 

ouch at crotched. this is very unfortunate...

As a result of these challenges, we have made the difficult decision to amend our schedule of operations to Wednesday through Sunday, beginning January 1, with the following hours: Wed. 9-5; Thurs-Sat. 9-9; Sun. 9-5. This change to a five-day schedule will allow our hard-working resort teams to better focus on delivering the best possible ski and ride experience for our guests on those days.

Up in the NEK. Skinned up Burke yesterday and things looked and skied decently well! Natural trails looked like they could even be carefully navigated up high. First time making turns on this hill and shocked at the minimal crowds this time of year. 

Otherwise it's definitely a wintry look around here. 6-8" pack when we got here a few days ago has condensed a little bit.