• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2021-2022 Ski season thread

Skivt2

Dutch Hill was pretty nice on Saturday.             Such a great spot for easy backcountry turns.  Snow was firm enough to cover most rocks on the lower angle stuff, steeper stuff scraped down to rock in places but not thin. The skiing was better where it had been skied in a little, it made for better coverage.  Decently busy but not terrible.  I probably won’t go back until they get another 6-8”. 

0D388DC5-7F54-474B-B65D-1ECD2AEA91FC.jpeg

B8266E1B-2E40-44F3-B179-0173503CB038.jpeg

8D1870A9-5F61-4CFF-A932-5EF73CDDC3E1.jpeg

ADF3E958-0DBA-46E1-8448-56D24E20A44F.jpeg

• Like 3

Experienced Cannon on January 24th and had a pleasant surprise of about 6 inches of very dry new snow during the overnight providing some effortless powder conditions on ungroomed tracks. About 2/3 of the mountain was open, but it felt more like 1/2. Solid packed powder was the norm, except for the historical icy spots that I just take as a part of the landscape, less so a question. It is pretty amazing how relaxed mid-week skiing can be in these areas, except for the base of the mountain, never really see anyone!

• Like 2

K-mart was on point yesterday.  No lines, Fast groomers and still a decent amount of natural snow.  Run of the day surprising was north star off Snowdon.  Great natural bumps and not skied off at all.  Royal flush was biggest disappointment.  Thin is an understatement.  Woods were manageable, but not deep.  They had superstar lit up like it was the day before the World Cup.  Guns every 10 feet and huge whales up top.  They were also blowing cascade.  One of the few closed trails was lower ovation.  I sometimes forget how steep that is until I see a picture of it.  Overall, really enjoyable day and conditions.

7F04AB72-C940-4345-8A4E-5188587928A3.jpeg

7ED476DB-FF09-4AA0-9D2C-7EB42B307CA6.jpeg

• Like 2

Experienced Loon (South Peak Only) on January 25th and had a pleasant surprise of about 3 inches of very dry new snow during the overnight providing some effortless powder conditions. The entire south peak was probably groomed before it snowed, because fresh tracks were available on all the runs (it says there are 9 or so trails, but feels like 5). With a high speed quad and ridiculously easy access from car to lift to lodge, the south peak is a great combination of steeps (rip cord or saw) and the other trails are reasonable pitch. All in all, balmy air temperatures in the 20's. 

@powderfreak @Angus

Hit Wildcat today and have to give credit where it is due. Conditions were damn good.

They had a few trails groomed and clearly they had given them good attention. There was also some decent fun on the ungroomed trails. It wasn't just icy mounds like last season. You could still carve your way down between the bumps.

Mountain was empty so we had the place to ourselves. Overall, a good day. Kids all had fun. Hopefully things are turning around for Wildcat.

Can't beat the views on a clear day either.

They still need snow though. Natural trails are really thin. A cutter would knock out like 70% of the open terrain there.

9C9DEE75-0F2E-4CDC-863F-41FF4DD91496.thumb.jpeg.f417fe82bc862367615161591360d999.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, PhineasC said:

@powderfreak @Angus

Hit Wildcat today and have to give credit where it is due. Conditions were damn good.

They had a few trails groomed and clearly they had given them good attention. There was also some decent fun on the ungroomed trails. It wasn't just icy mounds like last season. You could still carve your way down between the bumps.

Mountain was empty so we had the place to ourselves. Overall, a good day. Kids all had fun. Hopefully things are turning around for Wildcat.

Can't beat the views on a clear day either.

They still need snow though. Natural trails are really thin. A cutter would knock out like 70% of the open terrain there.

9C9DEE75-0F2E-4CDC-863F-41FF4DD91496.thumb.jpeg.f417fe82bc862367615161591360d999.jpeg

Good update. I really like Wildcat and positioning my next trip to have this as an option. While Sunday could be the better day, I'll take leftovers on Monday with the minor crowd. Keep skiing!

11 hours ago, mcglups said:

While Sunday could be the better day, I'll take leftovers on Monday with the minor crowd. Keep skiing!

Wildcat on Sunday will be a mad house I'm betting if folks in Mass can get out there house and Wildcat gets reasonable amount of snow. @J.Spinskied Lost Trail today - wow, outstanding. Lapped chair 4 all morning. Between that, chutes off chair 1 and Hollywood Bowl area - just tremendous terrain.

Did a quick half day at sunapee today.  Arrived at 835 and parked in the last row of lot 1.  Conditions were pretty great after trying out attitash and wildcat a couple weeks ago we didnt have high Hope's for another vail resort day.  

Jay peak last weekend was cold -21°f but no wind.  The tram and summit lift ran all weekend.  With canada cracking down on border crossing again and all the wind holds after the MLK snow, the right side of the mountain was pretty much untouched when we got up there friday.  We were still finding fresh stashes in the woods sunday before we left.   

Ps. Hooksett commonman rest area has Breckenridge vanilla porter.  Cheers to winter even when it starts a little late!

Today was a reminder of why i chose Jay as my home mountain.  Everyone is chasing a “bomb cyclone”, aka snowstorm, and Jay quietly says, I’m all good here.  The woods are sick right now with untouched lines everywhere.  Natural trails are soft and full of snow and you could ski right on to the flyer all day.  Really great conditions and a reminder that while I love Stowe, Killington and the like, when the snow is good, Jay has the best glades hands down.

5393800D-BC4F-4B2E-9C3F-B4B1A3C17C49.jpeg

3294F35C-1F65-48D7-91DD-B54A446BD991.jpeg

8348BCAC-4329-4C50-8000-66CA6904402D.jpeg

11C7D945-15E6-42B1-907F-543EBE3EB5FD.jpeg

2FCFCB51-CF2D-4393-9A19-E70E84971793.jpeg

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Today was a reminder of why i chose Jay as my home mountain.  Everyone is chasing a “bomb cyclone”, aka snowstorm, and Jay quietly says, I’m all good here.  The woods are sick right now with untouched lines everywhere.  Natural trails are soft and full of snow and you could ski right on to the flyer all day.  Really great conditions and a reminder that while I love Stowe, Killington and the like, when the snow is good, Jay has the best glades hands down.

We almost ended up there too. Close to pulling the trigger on a lot in Montgomery. No direct flights from BWI to Burlington sunk that. 

28 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Looks awesome! I’ll be sending my conditions report from Arapahoe Basin next Friday. Crossing my fingers but looks like they could get a pretty good dump on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

Looks awesome! I’ll be sending my conditions report from Arapahoe Basin next Friday. Crossing my fingers but looks like they could get a pretty good dump on Wednesday. 

My son just skied ABasin and said it was great although they still need more snow to cover some of the rocks but he said the mountain was skiing great! I’m heading out there in Feb. I’ll probs hit Stratton or Windham Sunday. Hope they get some snow. Need a mountain dumper!!!
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, snowgeek said:

My son just skied ABasin and said it was great although they still need more snow to cover some of the rocks but he said the mountain was skiing great! I’m heading out there in Feb. I’ll probs hit Stratton or Windham Sunday. Hope they get some snow. Need a mountain dumper!!!

Great to hear! Looks like they are getting snow Wednesday before I go should be awesome. 

49 minutes ago, mcglups said:

Experienced Sunday River on January 30th and 31st.  Sunday was packed and I couldn't handle the crowd, but Monday was really good.  Mostly packed powder on the groomers and about a foot or more of off trail action.

The setup there with the horse race gates scanning passes is just infuriating to me. It's always such a jumble. I'm sure they spent millions on it. It just doesn't work for anyone under 5 feet. They need to take the pass out of their jacket and hold it up to the machine, which is a hassle and increases chances it gets dropped by the kids.

Cool mountain if you know where you are going and can blast around. With a family, it gets hard because of all of the flat crossover trails to get between the various areas. A lot of hoofing it.

We are trying to learn to love Wildcat so we can add that to the rotation more regularly. SR just hasn't stuck for us and to get there we drive double the distance from Wildcat.

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The setup there with the horse race gates scanning passes is just infuriating to me. It's always such a jumble. I'm sure they spent millions on it. It just doesn't work for anyone under 5 feet. They need to take the pass out of their jacket and hold it up to the machine, which is a hassle and increases chances it gets dropped by the kids.

Cool mountain if you know where you are going and can blast around. With a family, it gets hard because of all of the flat crossover trails to get between the various areas. A lot of hoofing it.

We are trying to learn to love Wildcat so we can add that to the rotation more regularly. SR just hasn't stuck for us and to get there we drive double the distance from Wildcat.

The arm band pass holders work pretty well for kids. I've even seen pass holder on the goggle straps of some of the little ski schoolers. 

I purposely got a jacket with a pass pocket on the arn so I dont have to mess with it at all.    

Wildcat is a tough place to love.  It's like an ex.  When it's good it's great but most of the time its an ice cold b!tch.  

If I didn't have an epic pass I would choose bretton woods over attitash or wildcat 100% of the time.  

You ski wildcat in Dec, Jan and Feb to get in shape to enjoy it in March and April. Sugarloaf is the same way.

Sitting at SLC airport after 5 hours of skiing today at Powder Mountain. Ten days straight, 7 on the Indy Pass. Skied ID, MT, WY and UT.

Frankly the "little guys" won out over the big guys on this trip, great days at Brundage, Missoula Snow Bowl, Lost Trail and Beaver.

• Like 3

Looking like this incoming event is just what the doctor ordered for MRG. Their most recent snow reports have been sounding increasingly concerned, but beginning the event with a nice layer of paste to buff out the base should work wonders. Top that off with fluff as the storm departs on Friday and most of NNE should see great turning conditions!

5 hours ago, Boston Bulldog said:

Looking like this incoming event is just what the doctor ordered for MRG. Their most recent snow reports have been sounding increasingly concerned, but beginning the event with a nice layer of paste to buff out the base should work wonders. Top that off with fluff as the storm departs on Friday and most of NNE should see great turning conditions!

Are they all staying snow or are the Pat's peak, ragged , sunapee crowd starting as rain?   They were all doing pretty well coming into february. 

3 hours ago, Southshorewx said:

Are they all staying snow or are the Pat's peak, ragged , sunapee crowd starting as rain?   They were all doing pretty well coming into february. 

All 3 will certainly have rain on the onset, and the mesos definitely have all 3 right on the knife’s edge with regards to sleet/snow totals (with Pat’s Peak looking especially tenuous on recent runs). Given the orientation of the snowfall gradient, as well as its latitude, Ragged is likely to walk away the best. Regardless, looks like plenty of sleet will be present throughout the region, as this 12z Hrrr sounding for Sullivan County shows.

D28DE369-D63F-4A16-BD9B-DA513564E38C.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LaGrangewx said:

Will be at Arapahoe Basin tomorrow. Deciding between Taos or Wolf Creek for Saturday. Both received 2-3 feet of super light fluffy pow yesterday. Rumor has it Taos may open Kachina. Will report back over the weekend. 

I've skied both. Ski Taos if you're an expert, Wolf Creek if you're an intermediate.

• Thanks 1