Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2021

wdrag

On 8/13/2021 at 4:25 PM, bluewave said:

Don’t feel so bad. This has been a well known issue for a long time. Since the NWS left Rockefeller Center in the early 90s, the quality of the Central Park weather observations has declined.

Good afternoon BW. I did receive a short response from Mr. Kenneth Boutin, ASOS Program Manager, NOAA, NWS, ASOS Program Office, as follows:

”Ahhh, I see now. Let me work this and I’ll see what I can do. KB”

I thanked him in reply and now we wait again. As always ….

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good afternoon BW. I did receive a short response from Mr. Kenneth Boutin, ASOS Program Manager, NOAA, NWS, ASOS Program Office, as follows:

”Ahhh, I see now. Let me work this and I’ll see what I can do. KB”

I thanked him in reply and now we wait again. As always ….

Just show him this….

Yeah, I would be curious to see how they respond to a simple analysis like we have done on this forum.

JFK has seen a similar rise in JJA temperatures as the other stations. You can see the big giveaway that the NYC ASOS went from the sun to deep shade. Notice how the average minimum JJA temperature rose in line with the other stations since 1951-1980. But the average high from 1951-1980 to 2011-2020 is virtually unchanged. 

JJA 1950-1981 to 2011-2020 temperature change

NYC

max….83.0…83.2….+0.2

min…..66.0…68.2….+2.2

EWR

max…83.4…85.3…..+1.9

min….65.8….67.8…..+2.0

LGA

max…82.0….84.4…..+2.4

min….66.8….69.9…..+3.1

JFK

max….80.5….82.5…..+2.0

min…..65.4….67.7……+2.3

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Weakens it from there into what’s probably a transitioning cyclone by 102 hours with an expanding windfield 

yeah so even if you're 100 miles west of the center you'll get high winds as well as the heavier rainfall that usually occurs west of the center when these storms get up here

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Just show him this….

Yeah, I would be curious to see how they respond to a simple analysis like we have done on this forum.

JFK has seen a similar rise in JJA temperatures as the other stations. You can see the big giveaway that the NYC ASOS went from the sun to deep shade. Notice how the average minimum JJA temperature rose in line with the other stations since 1951-1980. But the average high from 1951-1980 to 2011-2020 is virtually unchanged. 

NYC

max….83.0…83.2….+0.2

min…..66.0…68.2….+2.2

EWR

max…83.4…85.3…..+1.9

min….65.8….67.8…..+2.0

LGA

max…82.0….84.4…..+2.4

min….66.8….69.9…..+3.1

JFK

max….80.5….82.5…..+2.0

min…..65.4….67.7……+2.3

Also look at how NYC mins have risen in concert with the airports, but the maxes have not, unlike the airports.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

yeah so even if you're 100 miles west of the center you'll get high winds as well as the heavier rainfall that usually occurs west of the center when these storms get up here

This entire subforum is in the game for now but I would anticipate some pushes back East until we settle in on one common solution. As others on the NE thread are noting wind threat probably won’t be the major stickler but flooding—surge and fresh—would be exacerbated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

This entire subforum is in the game for now but I would anticipate some pushes back East until we settle in on one common solution. As others on the NE thread are noting wind threat probably won’t be the major stickler but flooding—surge and fresh—would be exacerbated.

slow moving storm that might even stall?

Just now, LibertyBell said:

slow moving storm that might even stall?

That’s the school of thought being presented, any strong TC would need to absolutely book it to prevent weakening in these waters. In 36-48 hours a strong cat2/3 quickly weakens to a cat 1 that’s likely commencing an ET transition because of the slower movement speed. Surge and freshwater flooding would get exacerbated if/where this thing decides to park itself.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think that has allot to do with the fact that it’s not being forced up the coast after a Carolina hit later in the season via a trough. That scenario always seems to really degrade storms. 
Regardless of direct impact, days of large swells will cause beach erosion and lead to beach closures right during prime beach season. 

Its been a kinda tough season..everytime I try go to beach its cool/rainy, or warm but water closed for shark sightings. Sun I'll be at the 5 boro bike tour, been counting on good, mostly dry weather but it's looking more iffy??

14 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

That’s the school of thought being presented, any strong TC would need to absolutely book it to prevent weakening in these waters. In 36-48 hours a strong cat2/3 quickly weakens to a cat 1 that’s likely commencing an ET transition because of the slower movement speed. Surge and freshwater flooding would get exacerbated if/where this thing decides to park itself.

Like Edouard,  I remember that one clearly,  But that stalled too far to the east for anyone to get rain from it.

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Just show him this….

NYC

max….83.0…83.2….+0.2

min…..66.0…68.2….+2.2

EWR

max…83.4…85.3…..+1.9

min….65.8….67.8…..+2.0

LGA

max…82.0….84.4…..+2.4

min….66.8….69.9…..+3.1

JFK

max….80.5….82.5…..+2.0

min…..65.4….67.7……+2.3

I just received an almost immediate response as follows:

”I have engaged NWS Eastern Regional HQ for an assessment and course of action. I’ll keep you posted but request your patience in the process. KB”

when and if I get through copy and paste 101 I’ll certainly send it to Mr. KB. Thank you. As always ….. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yup I'm gonna ask for a point forecast... ;) Friday afternoon/evening at Citi Field looks ok doesn't it? Dry and warm, right? Thanx :)

Yeah...it's poured at every concert I've been to so far this summer...and I'll be there, so take that into account :). That said, looks like it might be dry for DeadCo Friday.

• Thanks 1

Not a meteorologist, only a pro weenie so take with a grain of salt. It seems that the Euro started Henri weaker than what it is currently, and GFS started stronger. Henry is currently at 70mph sustained winds, close to Hurricane status. Safe to assume a stronger intensification will lead to a more northwest track compared to a more eastern track if Henri remains weak as shown by the euro?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jfklganyc said:

That’s not true. That track is a Bob track with a much weaker storm. you need significant westward movement for all of us to “get it.”

It would be really tough for it to swing that far west though not impossible.

The WAR has to end up a lot stronger, Henri needs to become a lot stronger and then maybe it'll happen.

I do think if it did manage to get that far west that it'd be a pretty strong system.