Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

12 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Distance runners are Atrophied of leg muscle usually 

the higher the distance the more atrophy. Look at Olympic distance runners, hardly any quad , hamstring or glute  muscle . Then look at the sprinters- jacked legs and Glutes.

Direct correlation as you go from sprinters to distance runners (amongst the medaled athlete’s/ really the entire field ) you atrophy more muscle the higher the distance you participate in . 

Sprinting is the heavy weights/lower reps version of running. Heavy weights build muscle/strength. Sprinting builds a stronger heart. 

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

wait ..are you female?   Not being a jerk - I don't know you. Heh.   let's face it, female physiology is a bit more ... "responsive" shall we say to cool settings. 

Something I have noticed in the past - ahahahaha.  No but its true

Nope, I'm male.  When I hear about chafed or bloodied nipples it is with male runners.  Off the top of my head, it could be for two reasons: a.  The fabric with bras tends to be less of an issue for chafing than with shirts or b.  men whine more about such things.

3 ways I would address it/prevent it:

1. run shirtless

2. use body glide (vaseline would stain my shirts and the marks would make it look like lactation stains)

3.  band aids (often in addition to body glide)

36 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

I find it easier to go down the mountain after a couple. For example, I did my MCL after snagging a tree on the bobsled track out to the 19th hole at Mad River. Went down to the lodge pounded Lawson SOSs until I didn't notice it, then proceeded to lap the stuff out past Paradise. Great day! Next day and weeks sucked though lol

I used to do 3 10ks a week to stay in shape for hockey, but after a year I started feeling it in my ankles and knees. Think I am just not built for it. My wife recently decided to pull the trigger on a peloton and I now understand the hype and probably use it more than she does. 

I want a peloton.  I was actually in my best shape when I used to bike every day.  Hill climbing and distance, even gravel back road riding.  Biking is low impact and just a great workout.  Great interval training.  My knees and ankles are going to be smoked soon from skiing and then hiking.  Down hiking is so bad for your knees.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I want a peloton.  I was actually in my best shape when I used to bike every day.  Hill climbing and distance, even gravel back road riding.  Biking is low impact and just a great workout.

She is/was an avid road biker but after a few close calls around here I think she might be done with it. Just too many distracted drivers. Great workout with low impact sums it up, it's a "good type of sore" the next day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I'm confused as to what this is...same initialized and valid time. The difference is the weight of the various models. Why are they using one with the CMC weighted more than the GFS and then one where the GFS is weighted the most?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, klw said:

Nope, I'm male.  When I hear about chafed or bloodied nipples it is with male runners.  Off the top of my head, it could be for two reasons: a.  The fabric with bras tends to be less of an issue for chafing than with shirts or b.  men whine more about such things.

3 ways I would address it/prevent it:

1. run shirtless

2. use body glide (vaseline would stain my shirts and the marks would make it look like lactation stains)

3.  band aids (often in addition to body glide)

Time for me to re-watch this episode of The Office. 

The Office" Fun Run (TV Episode 2007) - IMDb

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

She is/was an avid road biker but after a few close calls around here I think she might be done with it. Just too many distracted drivers. Great workout with low impact sums it up, it's a "good type of sore" the next day. 

I know a guy who was road biking a few years back and was clipped by a car. Messed him up really badly. Now he limps everywhere and is sort of hunched over all the time. It seems really risky to me to bike on open roads like that. People do it around here in MD on narrow hilly roads with blind curves. 

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We'll see if it holds.   I have a suspicion we finish +1 anyway ...which is a relative win for those that don't prefer summer, for a lot of reason. ha! 

It's the way in which these/those neg values got aggregated - it took a bizarre pattern anomaly to do it, with 594 dm ridge anomaly actually CAUSING a cold surface - using observed means that were probably pretty rarefied frankly.   It's almost (symbolic) as though it got so hot in the mid and upper troposphere that it caused things to flip by way of inverting the sounding too much.   But ... that odd timing of that surface high genesis and movement over the last 3 to ...jesus 4 days now, has really happened in a range depth of Rosby heights, both hydro and non hydro static, very seldom seen, and as a consequent, we sustained a cold low level jet right under some otherwise extraordinary warmth aloft.  Very strange -

Talks about faking cold.  Whatever it takes to keep balance the climate loading.  I have mused this in the past... Usually when you have a striking climate departure, usually start seeing a counter/mirror or diametric balance emerge, whether in short extremeness, or in aggregate...usually not too far away.  Sometimes that does take awhile when it is the aggregate form.    Put it this way...if we were -2 for July ( also very plausible...), and -3 for august, we were average for summer. But the sensible impact for summer enthusiasts was a gip-job shirked piece of shit stolen season.   

Same bullshit happens in winter.  All a season's worth of snow eggs laid down in two storms in CC PWAT mass, then it never snows again.  Average year? 

Just making zamples... But, June was staggeringly warm here.   I don't know if that is sustainable for a summer- intuition tells us no anyway.  I don't know if July can manage to sustain -4 when it took the above rareness to get it that cold, and there is still two weeks remaining... and that base-line heights are positive through the end of the month in the ens means of all.   It'll be interesting.

download (4).png

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I want a peloton.  I was actually in my best shape when I used to bike every day.  Hill climbing and distance, even gravel back road riding.  Biking is low impact and just a great workout.  Great interval training.  My knees and ankles are going to be smoked soon from skiing and then hiking.  Down hiking is so bad for your knees.

My wife and I got one. It's not cheap, but overall I think the value is there. My wife is not a gym person, so this is great for her. Can do it on your own time. I actually like it. It really kicks your but depending on what you do. 

This clearing line edging east through eastern Mass is legit.

Explosion of open sky sun happens at the scale of street width when that goes by

Now, regular diurnal CU fills partially in.

Also, area home stations bolted from 74 to about 82 so far.   Average DP is 74

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I have been wondering that… It seems like the models try to edge towards it finally tipping over and flopping big heights in the east and then it goes right back into some kind of raging early autumn mode driving hgts down thru the great lakes/eastern Canada.  and bottling up heights in the west. It’s been oscillating back-and-forth across every two or three days worth of cycles. Could be a major heatwave out there ; could be nothing but blasé for the rest of the way

-on the fence as it were

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

My wife and I got one. It's not cheap, but overall I think the value is there. My wife is not a gym person, so this is great for her. Can do it on your own time. I actually like it. It really kicks your but depending on what you do. 

But aren't those just the same as the stationary bike at the gym ?   I mean, I realize with Pel. you get that internet group thing and classes and shit ... But that means nothing to one's physiology.  The stationary tech at the gym allows one to set resistance, keep track of calories, MPH and distance traveled ..etc.   So you are either turning the peddles at resistance-cadence, or not, right. 

I'm not sure what the advantage is -

25 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I know a guy who was road biking a few years back and was clipped by a car. Messed him up really badly. Now he limps everywhere and is sort of hunched over all the time. It seems really risky to me to bike on open roads like that. People do it around here in MD on narrow hilly roads with blind curves. 

That's how we lost Marshall Dodge (Bert and I) and almost the same for Stephen King.  And only in a minority of times it's the biker not the driver.  Several years back on the "Bike Across Maine" fundraiser a biker was killed when he took one hand off the bar to grab a drink, just as a log truck was passing him.  Truck was well off the shoulder and at the same speed as other traffic but the big rig's slipstream pulled the one-hander biker into a rear bunk, right at helmet level.  Driver had no clue until he stopped in Farmington, and even then there was no evidence except the timing of both vehicles and some eyewitnesses.  Combination of small phenomena resulting in a big tragedy.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That's how we lost Marshall Dodge (Bert and I) and almost the same for Stephen King.  And only in a minority of times it's the biker not the driver.  Several years back on the "Bike Across Maine" fundraiser a biker was killed when he took one hand off the bar to grab a drink, just as a log truck was passing him.  Truck was well off the shoulder and at the same speed as other traffic but the big rig's slipstream pulled the one-hander biker into a rear bunk, right at helmet level.  Driver had no clue until he stopped in Farmington, and even then there was no evidence except the timing of both vehicles and some eyewitnesses.  Combination of small phenomena resulting in a big tragedy.

Yeah... I used to get into it the life.   The clip-in shoes, and the helmet and garb.  I turned right down an intersecting street and some teen age nitwit wasn't paying attention and hit me from behind on her bicycle - wasn't even a car... I heard her shriek out in horror just then, and then I as on the ground having just spent 1.24 seconds air born over the handlebars.  It takes just that much to ruin a day ..week, month year or in that poor bloke's case, life.  

I just lost my nerve. I'm mid age and no ambition to be sleek.  Fuggit.  work out is a work out.    I'm perfectly contented now on my high tech Specialized Rockhopper.  'Sides, my road bike was forced retired back in April because it had developed a micro-fracture in the frame some where.  Can't be fixed... But, libel to fold up on me going around some tight corner at 33 at some bad point or the other.   I'm like ...okay, that's it - I don't care about this hobby that much.  So, I outfitted just the back wheel of the Rockhop' with a slick middle hybrid tire tread option, so that it spins okay on roads, and I just hit the bike trails.  We have a lot of them around down here now.  They can be 12 or even 16 miles long in one direction, so if you can make a good enough distance work out going to the end and back. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

We went the route of a Concept 2 Rowing Machine earlier this summer as I am under orders not to run for the foreseeable future.  I am really enjoying it, which I hope is not just the novelty factor, but am still at the stage of rebuilding my fitness and adjusting to the new stressor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

While in Oklahoma standing in an open field watching a supercell that was 20 miles away the anvil threw out a massive positive CG so close that we heard the air sizzle before the actual strike. Have heard that twice in my life.

My buddies and I got caught on in a storm walking a golf course last year. We just went into the woods a bit and crouched down next to a cluster of bigger trees.

Im not sure what you are supposed to do in that instance, but standing out in the open sure didn’t seem like the right choice.