Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2021 Discussion/Obs

CAPE

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If you have state minimum, probably not.

I don't. I have good car insurance.  I have just never considered if it responds to flooded road situations. If you don't know, that's cool. Was just wondering if someone here had some experience with this.  Thanks anyway. 

42 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

So, it was bad.

For those that know the city - the Univ. Balt School of Law at corner of Mt. Royal and Charles - just before you get to the train station. Right as I crossed over Mt. Royal I realized the water was a LOT higher there than I had suspected. I've never seen high water there so me and the car next to me drove into what you are told not to drive into. It was up to hood level and I think I may have lost contact with the road briefly. I did re-grip, car engine never cut off, and got through it. But now my check engine light is on as is the traction warning light. Got home, parked it, crawled inside, and am getting an early drink. If, when it dries out, those lights stay on, anyone had experience with this and car insurance? Should I make a claim if it ends up being something got damaged due to the high water?

The check engine light will probably not turn off until you clear the fault code. But I would want to know that fault code before clearing it. You can probably reset/clear the codes by disconnecting the positive lead from your battery. You may have other problems like water in the fuel system as well. Hood level water has to be within the range of the air intake for the motor... not good unless it is something like a jeep with a snorkle. You may want to call your insurance company.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KAOS said:

The check engine light will probably not turn off until you clear the fault code. But I would want to know that fault code before clearing it. You can probably reset/clear the codes by disconnecting the positive lead from your battery. You may have other problems like water in the fuel system as well. Hood level water has to be within the range of the air intake for the motor... not good unless it is something like a jeep with a snorkle. You may want to call your insurance company.

Or it just needs to dry out. It may not be bad.

My advice is to try to enjoy the drink @North Balti Zen and let it sit til tomorrow. Trying to self-diagnose will have you tossing and turning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

So, it was bad.

For those that know the city - the Univ. Balt School of Law at corner of Mt. Royal and Charles - just before you get to the train station. Right as I crossed over Mt. Royal I realized the water was a LOT higher there than I had suspected. I've never seen high water there so me and the car next to me drove into what you are told not to drive into. It was up to hood level and I think I may have lost contact with the road briefly. I did re-grip, car engine never cut off, and got through it. But now my check engine light is on as is the traction warning light. Got home, parked it, crawled inside, and am getting an early drink. If, when it dries out, those lights stay on, anyone had experience with this and car insurance? Should I make a claim if it ends up being something got damaged due to the high water?

I had a flood damage situation in the big Ellicott City flood in 2016.  My car was parked in a restaurant parking lot.  Water rushed in and covered the car up to hood level.  The car wound up being totaled by the insurance company due to electrical damage.  The insurance company paid out without any issues.  Hopefully, your car will dry out and operate without issues.  Otherwise, insurance should cover the damage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

So, it was bad.

I know the spot your talking about, having worked in that area at my previous job. I never saw high water there either in my 6years working in the city. Hope the car is better in the morning once it dries out. Enjoy your drink :) 

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Played the age old "will the silt fencing hold?" game this evening. 

20210610_191449.jpg

20210610_191520.jpg

Your backyard? That silt fencing should have had a drain area that would lead to that grate. 

28 minutes ago, mappy said:

Your backyard? That silt fencing should have had a drain area that would lead to that grate. 

Wouldn't surprise me if they messed up the silt fencing. Lots of removing and reinstalling the other day when they were grading the lot, which I guess they'll have to do again tomorrow. 

At least now I know that drain works, haha. 

2 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

So, it was bad.

Ugghhh.. I am sorry to hear that dude. I would press hard to get the insurance to pay for it. Its a mistake.  Thats the point of insurance.  People make mistakes and accidents happen.  I a just glad you are okay.

I had a 2014 nissan sentra with 150,000 miles and a dying transmission.. with an insurance claim is was worth $6,000.  I ultimately only got $1,000 from car max for it.  

I was seriously thinking about driving it in to some water somewhere or leaving it in a flood area where I knew it would get totaled.  

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, blueberryfaygo said:

Ugghhh.. I am sorry to hear that dude. I would press hard to get the insurance to pay for it. Its a mistake.  Thats the point of insurance.  People make mistakes and accidents happen.  I a just glad you are okay.

I had a 2014 nissan sentra with 150,000 miles and a dying transmission.. with an insurance claim is was worth $6,000.  I ultimately only got $1,000 from car max for it.  

I was seriously thinking about driving it in to some water somewhere or leaving it in a flood area where I knew it would get totaled.  

Jesus.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, blueberryfaygo said:

Wtf

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they messed up the silt fencing. Lots of removing and reinstalling the other day when they were grading the lot, which I guess they'll have to do again tomorrow. 

At least now I know that drain works, haha. 

Yeah usually there some sort of exit to allow for drainage so what your second picture showed, doesn’t happen. With as close as they were to that drain, it’s actually mind boggling they didn’t include that lol

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic