Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm actually really happy that you can afford to make that decision with your kids. Truly. If I could I think my wife and I would do the same, but not everyone is in that position. So I get irritated when I see people who in the name of their freedom take away from my kids' freedom (I'm not singling you out here, but the broader "people" who actively flout the recommendations to make a statement). 

I can't force anyone to get a vaccine or get their kids vaccinated for COVID (of course we do for many other diseases), but the primary way my kid will not get it at school is if those people mask up in indoor, public settings at the current moment. I don't like it anymore than the next person (I've been wearing a mask at work for 8-10 hours a shift since last summer, I get it, I'm tired of it too).

I can’t disagree with any of this. I always feel the worst for the kids in this entire thing. They have had a rough go of it in a lot of ways. We are very fortunate to be able to homeschool. It has made a world of difference in eliminating one major source of stress and risk for us. I really hope this school year somehow works out for the kids.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

from your link:

how is that rate--a little over 20% of .003& "to [sic] much death" compared to the number of unvaccinated people who have died, and compared to the rising infection rate as of late because selfish people won't get vaccinated and/or wear masks?

Its to much for certain governors in this country. Politicians wont care the death rate is around seasonal flu. 

Restrictions will still be in place because of cases and occasional death. The scare of mutations alone is enough for mask mandates.

• Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This is what is going to send me out of Banter for the night. 

4,115 out of ~164,000,000. Even if the level of breakthrough infection was 10 or heck let's say 50 times higher than what has been reported that's still only .125% of vaccinated people.

Then lets open up the country. Its not a big deal if you vaccinated right. Due away with mask and all other BS.

• Weenie 1

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

It is indeed a very small number so far. Some of you seem to think my posts are intended to question the effectiveness of the vaccines at preventing serious disease and death, and that causes some angst and defensiveness. Vaccines are very serious business here.

That's not my intent at all. I am not trying to create doubt about the vaccine (the vaccinated are doing enough of that to themselves). I am simply commenting on the "casedemic" and the government reaction to it. This early data is just another log on the fire that boosting everyone forever is still probably not going to stop these clusters of cases that can cause government overreactions and restrictions.

Hope that helps.

Take the politics to another forum.

• Weenie 1

30 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Maybe the focus should be on booting the posters from other regions stirring up trouble instead?

Some mods like to see the day to day Functioning disrupted , they will say blah blah blah , but the solution should be simple . If the regional forum members voted for the solution it would be a landslide 

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Some mods like to see the day to day Functioning disrupted , they will say blah blah blah , but the solution should be simple . If the regional forum members voted for the solution it would be a landslide 

I don't think it's too much to ask for less political leans and member trashing.  Anyone can post in whatever sub forum they want and this is a weather forum, not a political one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last year we had a long and (usually) informative COVID-19 thread.  Then a minority chose to troll incessantly and trash other members to the point where the mods understandably closed the thread.  Hoping that doesn't reoccur (and it took a half dozen or so folks engaging in that boorishness to bring it down, not just one.)

• Like 3

Just now, tamarack said:

Last year we had a long and (usually) informative COVID-19 thread.  Then a minority chose to troll incessantly and trash other members to the point where the mods understandably closed the thread.  Hoping that doesn't reoccur (and it took a half dozen or so folks engaging in that boorishness to bring it down, not just one.)

I give it 6 hrs to be closed now that the Trix has showed up....

• Weenie 3

Just now, tamarack said:

It's become far more politicized now that we've got vaccines out there and we as a Country are virtually wide open again.  There's polarizing talking points on both sides with little acceptance or compromise about some ways we can move forward and not backwards to where we were.  

• Like 2

Dr. Eric Topol wrote a good article on how America is flying blind when it comes to the Delta variant...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/09/america-is-flying-blind-when-it-comes-to-the-delta-variant

I wonder if the lack of counting of breakthrough cases in our country is because they just want to keep calling it "a pandemic of the unvaccinated" here. We know from data from other countries like the UK and Israel that there are a huge amount of breakthrough cases. And as Eric Topol mentions in the article, some countries are reporting that 10% to 20% of their hospitalizations are in vaccinated people. In fact I just read an article that talked about the fact that the UK just released data on their Delta variant hospitalizations from July 19th to August 2nd. Of the 1,467 people that were hospitalized, 512 people (34.9%) were vaccinated. You have to wonder why other countries are reporting that a much higher percentage of people in hospitals are vaccinated. The United States just is not being honest about the fact that the Delta variant is causing a significant threat to vaccinated people. I was just reading about the outbreak that Iceland is having right now. They thought Covid was over, but now they're having a big outbreak due to the Delta variant. In Iceland, 93% of the population over 16 years old is vaccinated. Yet they're seeing an outbreak. The vaccines just are not stopping the transmission of the Delta variant.

• Thanks 1