• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Here are the exemptions from permits in our town.  As you can see, our shed size exemption is pretty small.  I was actually thinking it was 120 sf before I looked it up.  In my defense, even though I am the chair of the DRB, we never see any of these types of things come before our board so I rarely look at these rules.

image.png.455936785026d9a8a5db09072ded1f27.png

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

That 64 sf would apply to a lot of Hone Depot type shed kits.  8’ x 8’

You're right.  I hadn't thought of that.  I'd actually support upping it to 10'X10' or 10'X12".  As far as zoning in general goes, it's a mixed bag.  It doesn't always promote smart growth and can be used over zealously.  However, it also can be a valuable protection for neighbors.  We just had a case where a business built and addition without getting a permit and then came to the DRB seeking a variance from setback requirements.  It turns out that the addition may actually be partially on his neighbor's land.  We obviously couldn't grant the variance request but now the neighbor at least has some recourse if they can't come to a boundary line adjustment agreement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah... looks like they have grown a bit since we bought ours 23 years ago...  I think back then many were 8 x 8 so 2 sheets of 4 x 8 plywood could act as the floor... 

That's how I did my coop...8x8 floor and front wall...sloped down to 8x6 in the back. Not much waste.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

You're right.  I hadn't thought of that.  I'd actually support upping it to 10'X10' or 10'X12".  As far as zoning in general goes, it's a mixed bag.  It doesn't always promote smart growth and can be used over zealously.  However, it also can be a valuable protection for neighbors.  We just had a case where a business built and addition without getting a permit and then came to the DRB seeking a variance from setback requirements.  It turns out that the addition may actually be partially on his neighbor's land.  We obviously couldn't grant the variance request but now the neighbor at least has some recourse if they can't come to a boundary line adjustment agreement.

We put in a deck a few years ago and had to get a zoning variance. What a nightmare and long and expensive process. Had to go in front of the zoning board multiple times  to get them to approve it. The whole process took like 6 months.. They also made me spend a few thousand on a survey before and I after I built the deck. 

As much as a pain it was now a days you need to do it. My neighbor built an addition without permits like 5 feet from the property line where we have a 25 foot zoning setback. The town caught it and made his life a living hell. He had to spend big money on lawyers as the town wanted him to rip it down. Also, now a days everything is checked much more thoroughly when houses are sold. If you have an illegal addition, deck, shed, etc you can almost guarantee it will be found when you try and sell.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BrianW said:

We put in a deck a few years ago and had to get a zoning variance. What a nightmare and long and expensive process. Had to go in front of the zoning board multiple times  to get them to approve it. The whole process took like 6 months.. They also made me spend a few thousand on a survey before and I after I built the deck. 

As much as a pain it was now a days you need to do it. My neighbor built an addition without permits like 5 feet from the property line where we have a 25 foot zoning setback. The town caught it and made his life a living hell. He had to spend big money on lawyers as the town wanted him to rip it down. Also, now a days everything is checked much more thoroughly when houses are sold. If you have an illegal addition, deck, shed, etc you can almost guarantee it will be found when you try and sell.

Yeah... my parents had a hell of a time with a porch going through that process at the first house they owned. It was close to wetlands and they gave them hell about being able to build it.... I guess because a porch and deck etc etc is basically an addition to the actual house structure, not an accessory detached building.

After that experience they never pulled another permit for anything they did. Sold two houses after they did a good amount of work without permits and it was never an issue.

heh...outside but in a bowl with people on top of you in every direction. Then you also have to go into the grandstands to take a leak and get food/drinks. It's not like you're on the beach spaced out a little more and with a nice breeze. To each their own, but I wouldn't pack myself in there like that yet. Texas gon' Texas though.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Idk. But its outside. 

Personally I'd wear a mask only to respect others but it's been 13 months...its time to swing doors wide open like Florida . 

“I’d wear a mask to respect others”... I respect that view even if I’m not sure I’d pack myself into a stadium. Once poked, I’d go.

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

"give it two weeks"

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

they said the same thing after the big cold outbreak there-all the shelters and people crowding into homes that had electricity would lead to a big outbreak-never happened.  And that was indoors.  The stadium is outdoors so even less chance....media has to hype up every little thing....

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

they said the same thing after the big cold outbreak there-all the shelters and people crowding into homes that had electricity would lead to a big outbreak-never happened.  And that was indoors.  The stadium is outdoors so even less chance....media has to hype up every little thing....

yeah, I'm just posting in quotes cause that's what some will say. I think we'll be fine and am happy to see some semblance of normal coming back.