Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I forgot about that, that really screwed up flight patterns iirc. 

It was insane. We literally had someone on my team just handling that volcano and where our advisories were drawn. It actually got political. We started cutting back our advisories and really went against what the governments there had over Europe. We were confident in what we saw on satellite. The London VAAC guys apparently notified the NWS to "speak" with us about how we were handling it. :lol:   Poor London VAAC was getting a ton of pressure from the aviation industry. Those guys issued CYA advisories that made no sense. Finally (I think Virgin Atlantic?) sent a plane up there to where the government had advisories out to see if there was any ash of consequence. They reported back blue bird skies and pressured those folks to cut back the advisories. We FTW.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Messes up the great circle route between North America and Europe.

Not only that, it initially went into Europe and basically shut them down. But that part only lasted a week or so if that. Europe really was shut down way too long to be honest.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

All due to volcanic activity I think.  I hope Iceland doesn’t go boom, I have not been there yet.I hope Iceland doesn’t go boom, I have not been there yet.

ingredients aren’t really there for the true big dog eruptions (VEI 6/7) .. maybe they do a VEI6 like once every couple hundred years. anything larger prob has a return rate 10x that .. won’t have to worry about it going “boom” :lol: .. altho id love to see it happen. From a scientific perspective, would be very interesting to see the climatic impacts .. and some crazy weather. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

All due to volcanic activity I think.  I hope Iceland doesn’t go boom, I have not been there yet.I hope Iceland doesn’t go boom, I have not been there yet.

The potential volcano is between Reykjavik and Keflavik Airport on a relatively narrow peninsula, so there's the (probably low) possibility of the capital being cut off from the island's major AP.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Get there if you can. I went 4 years ago and it was a quick flight from NYC. I think it's actually less flight time than flying to the west cost. 

What's incredible there is everything is geothermal. The power is like practically free and they send all the waste heat from the power plants to heat homes. Every person I asked said you basically just pay for maintenance on pipes and wires. They said it cost the equivalent of like $40 month for their heat and electricity. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Get there if you can. I went 4 years ago and it was a quick flight from NYC. I think it's actually less flight time than flying to the west cost. 

What's incredible there is everything is geothermal. The power is like practically free and they send all the waste heat from the power plants to heat homes. Every person I asked said you basically just pay for maintenance on pipes and wires. They said it cost the equivalent of like $40 month for their heat and electricity. 

I've never flown nonstop from coast to coast, but we were airborne 6-7 hours EWR-KFL both ways on our Norway trip in 2017.  (Icelandic allowed indefinite stays before the 2.5-hr continuing flight to Oslo - we stayed there 2 nights.  Had an 8-hr layover on the way home, just enough to visit the Blue Lagoon but alas, they were booked solid.  Went to the Viking Museum instead.)

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I've never flown nonstop from coast to coast, but we were airborne 6-7 hours EWR-KFL both ways on our Norway trip in 2017.  (Icelandic allowed indefinite stays before the 2.5-hr continuing flight to Oslo - we stayed there 2 nights.  Had an 8-hr layover on the way home, just enough to visit the Blue Lagoon but alas, they were booked solid.  Went to the Viking Museum instead.)

Iceland and Norway, two places on my list of countries to visit.  My younger brother played soccer in college with some kids from Norway, so I'll probably try to get him to plan a brother trip so I can have a place to stay for cheap.  The UK and Italy are on the list too to visit family.  

• Like 2

On 3/4/2021 at 10:57 AM, dryslot said:

I've been thru that section over the years a few times, Its impressive, Good luck with the Vac.

Nearly 4 hours after the stick, so far not even any soreness at the site.  Tomorrow might be different according to the literature - we'll see. 
Nice upper teens and windy March afternoon, not quite in Tuesday's league but no evening obs spoiler this time.  Skies suggest there's flakes up there but none reaching the ground here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Nearly 4 hours after the stick, so far not even any soreness at the site.  Tomorrow might be different according to the literature - we'll see. 
Nice upper teens and windy March afternoon, not quite in Tuesday's league but no evening obs spoiler this time.  Skies suggest there's flakes up there but none reaching the ground here.

My wife and I missed an opportunity to get it by 10 minutes yesterday.  We went to walk our dog and we get very poor cell reception in our neighborhood.

When we got back we saw we missed a call from a friend of ours who is volunteering at a clinic being held in the next town over.  When they are about to close shop for the day they occasionally have a few doses left and they have been told to contact people that could use them.   By the time we saw the call and called back we had missed it.

Stupid dog...lol 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Doc says the moderna has more side affects then the pfizer vac, Don't know which one you received, Just took my dad to the drive thru one at the VA.

43 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My wife and I missed an opportunity to get it by 10 minutes yesterday.  We went to walk our dog and we get very poor cell reception in our neighborhood.

When we got back we saw we missed a call from a friend of ours who is volunteering at a clinic being held in the next town over.  When they are about to close shop for the day they occasionally have a few doses left and they have been told to contact people that could use them.   By the time we saw the call and called back we had missed it.

Stupid dog...lol 

lol, Blame the FCC.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Iceland and Norway, two places on my list of countries to visit.  My younger brother played soccer in college with some kids from Norway, so I'll probably try to get him to plan a brother trip so I can have a place to stay for cheap.  The UK and Italy are on the list too to visit family.  

Italy is great, I have family there but travelled all the way from Naples to Venice. My wife went to Iceland with a friend and wants mw to go there with her, not that expensive either.

2 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

On our longer stop in Iceland we spent one day walking around Reykjavik, including a great but costly lunch on the shore, then took the touristy but fun Golden Circle trip.  One little highlight for this forester was when the host on our vehicle said, "If you're ever lost in an Iceland forest, stand up!"  Lots of scraggly head-high birch saplings clinging to the young volcanic rubble.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Doc says the moderna has more side affects then the pfizer vac, Don't know which one you received, Just took my dad to the drive thru one at the VA.

Moderna is what Franklin Mem Hosp ha been given so far.

Have to modify the "costly lunch" comment above.  The Icelandic krona was about 100 to the dollar when we were there.  It's been running closer to 130 for the past couple years, so our $30 (apiece) lunches would be 21-22 now, not cheap but plenty and excellent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Moderna is what Franklin Mem Hosp ha been given so far.

Have to modify the "costly lunch" comment above.  The Icelandic krona was about 100 to the dollar when we were there.  It's been running closer to 130 for the past couple years, so our $30 (apiece) lunches would be 21-22 now, not cheap but plenty and excellent.

He received the moderna one as well.

Just now, tamarack said:

One caution I'd offer - if I get any reaction beyond minor and ephemeral soreness at the injection site, it will be my first.   Many others are not so fortunate. 

Apparently, The second one is where some had issues, She read off all the possibilities to him, I went with him just in case he had any issues, He's 89.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Stupid dog...lol 

That's how I got my first Moderna vaccination.  I was volunteering at a clinic and they had some leftover.  I'm scheduled foe the secon on the 19th.  Meanwhile, this is the hospital in my area.  https://vtdigger.org/2021/03/04/cvmc-wasted-99-vaccine-doses-last-month-because-the-hospital-lacked-a-process-for-scheduling/  They could have walked across the street to the mall and grabbed 99 people from Walmart instead of wasting the doses.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dryslot said:

He received the moderna one as well.

38 minutes ago, tamarack said:

One caution I'd offer - if I get any reaction beyond minor and ephemeral soreness at the injection site, it will be my first.   Many others are not so fortunate. 

I've volunteered at 4 or 5 clinics.  My "job" is to observe the after vaccination waiting area.  I've seen more than 500 people and have only seen one that has had a bad reaction.  I've only been there for first doses though and have heard the same about more people having reactions after the second shot.  I'll see next week when I'm at the clinic again.

• Like 3