• Member Statistics

    16,653
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    samithdfm
    Newest Member
    samithdfm
    Joined
George BM

March Banter 2021

Recommended Posts

I know someone who used to live in MD but has moved elsewhere where Old Bay seasoning isn't as popular.  He did this even before he moved, but whenever he travels, whether via plane, train, or automobile, he carries the stuff with him because he feels it's a good idea to be prepared.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

I know someone who used to live in MD but has moved elsewhere where Old Bay seasoning isn't as popular.  He did this even before he moved, but whenever he travels, whether via plane, train, or automobile, he carries the stuff with him because he feels it's a good idea to be prepared.

OMG, I use Old Bay on salmon, chicken, pork, pasta, sauces, on the grill, on the stovetop.......  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

 

That must be a heck of a TV:lol: . You can buy a 70 incher for under 1K. $5K is top top top shelf . I don't have that problem.  I stopped watching TV a couple months ago  . I just read Dr. Seuss books , play with my potato head and track weather after pulling wire all day . 

 

This post made my day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

 

That must be a heck of a TV:lol: . You can buy a 70 incher for under 1K. $5K is top top top shelf . I don't have that problem.  I stopped watching TV a couple months ago  . I just read Dr. Seuss books , play with my potato head and track weather after pulling wire all day . 

 

If you get bored you could spend a relaxing evening reading 1984 or perhaps a little Fahrenheit 451.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

 

I just had a crab cake sandwich from Box Hill (don’t want to quote all of @Stormfly’s last post) and though I like them a lot, the bun is too large. It takes away from the crab cake. I like G & M’s crab cake a lot, but the Olive Branch that used to be used to be here and moved up 140 a ways is really good too.

Tim Buk Too in Hanover used to be good too, but I haven’t been there in awhile.

I need a good recipe from @Mrs.J for all the crabbing we do.

I have a couple good recipes. Getting ready to crash but will put them up in the morning. :sun:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason the end of this winter hurts worse...As bad as last winter was, you were still happy to put it out of it's mystery. But this year? What could've been feels worse. Like every mention of spring is a bit depressing (only bright spot is the cicadas, lol) I don't want warmer days (they only remind me of what we missed)...I'd like more cold for more opportunities for snow to try and improve the totals and have something to look forward to, for crying out loud. End venting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might want to keep your eyes on the models. March 5-6 could be something else for the Mid Atlantic Region. Dont put the shovels and snowblowers away just yet!

I think you guys are gonna get shellacked by heavy snow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

OMG, I use Old Bay on salmon, chicken, pork, pasta, sauces, on the grill, on the stovetop.......  :) 

don't forget in scrambled eggs, tuna salad, deviled eggs.....any many other great dishes!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

I have a couple good recipes. Getting ready to crash but will put them up in the morning. :sun:

I usually just make them without a recipe.  I use mayonnaise, Old Bay, Jumbo Lump Crab Meat and occasionally I'll add bread crumbs (but not always).  I use a ladel to scoop them and place on the cookie sheet and broil them until they are golden brown. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

JO spice is what crab houses use. Old Bay is for tourists. 

I made the mistake of using JO once for crab cakes for a mother's day meal.  I put a little extra in and they were way too salty. :-)  

 

I ate mine because I was too stubborn to admit I used too much, but I definitely failed that day. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

It’s not (just) UHI going on.

 

 

17 hours ago, H2O said:

Dulles isn't as rural as it used to be.  Far from it now.

Curious to see what MRB or HGR look like. They've stayed largely rural and it would be interesting to see if a similar trend exists there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

I usually just make them without a recipe.  I use mayonnaise, Old Bay, Jumbo Lump Crab Meat and occasionally I'll add bread crumbs (but not always).  I use a ladel to scoop them and place on the cookie sheet and broil them until they are golden brown. 

I don’t make them enough so keep recipes on hand. One thing I will have to try though is pork rinds. Since I am newly diagnosed gluten intolerant I recently made some fish cakes. Substituted plain crushed pork rinds for bread crumbs. Wow that is a well kept secret of Paleo eaters. Amazing flavor. They have gluten free Panko, but Pork rinds are cheeper and worked great. Going to try them in my meatballs next week. And serving over polenta instead of pasta. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

I made the mistake of using JO once for crab cakes for a mother's day meal.  I put a little extra in and they were way too salty. :-)  

 

I ate mine because I was too stubborn to admit I used too much, but I definitely failed that day. 

Lol gotta use JO#1 for doing stuff like that. JO#2 (the salty one) is basically just for steaming crabs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Lol gotta use JO#1 for doing stuff like that. JO#2 (the salty one) is basically just for steaming crabs.

Trial by error.  I definitely learned a something that day :-)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

 

Curious to see what MRB or HGR look like. They've stayed largely rural and it would be interesting to see if a similar trend exists there.

I would think it would be similar. As @WxUSAF pointed out, 850 is pretty high, usually around 4500-5000 feet. Would probably be hard to influence that temp with hot asphalt and concrete.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mattie g said:

Old Bay is good for crabs and that's about it. Nasty on most anything else.

I like it on shrimp

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I would think it would be similar. As @WxUSAF pointed out, 850 is pretty high, usually around 4500-5000 feet. Would probably be hard to influence that temp with hot asphalt and concrete.

That seems like an interesting and probably not difficult GCM experiment. Run the model with the same conditions a few times and just change the surface conditions (forested, farm, urban). I’d wager that’s been done. Wonder if anyone has determined how high the changed response extends. I’m sure it’s seasonally variable and I’d guess winter (due to generally higher wind speeds and reduced solar input) have the lowest “cap” to the UHI impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that it is official that Hurricane tracking by NHC will start May 15th.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=PNS&issuedby=NHC

 

000
NOUS41 KNHC 021258
PNSNHC

Public Information Statement
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
800 AM EST Tue Mar 2 2021

To:       NWS Partners, Users, and Employees

From:     Michael J. Brennan
          Branch Chief, Hurricane Specialist Unit
          National Hurricane Center

Subject:  Routine issuance of the Atlantic basin
          Tropical Weather Outlook beginning on May 15, 2021

In order to provide more frequent information on the potential for
tropical cyclone formation as the official June 1 start of the
Atlantic hurricane season approaches, the National Hurricane Center
will begin routine issuance of the Atlantic Tropical Weather Outlook
(TWO) and the Graphical TWO at 800 AM EDT (1200 UTC) May 15, 2021.

Given recent increased tropical cyclone activity in the Atlantic
basin in late May, routine issuance of the Atlantic TWO starting on
May 15 offers a service improvement over unscheduled Special TWOs
that are issued to discuss the possibility of tropical cyclone
formation prior to the official start of hurricane season on
June 1.

The Atlantic TWO can be found under AWIPS header MIATWOAT and WMO
header ABNT20 KNHC. The TWO and Graphical TWO can also be found
online at hurricanes.gov.

Any questions or comments on this change should be directed to:

Michael J. Brennan
Branch Chief, Hurricane Specialist Unit
[email protected]

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Now hold on here. What exactly are we discussing?

This spice

Top 30 Old Spice GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mattie g said:

Old Bay is good for crabs and that's about it. Nasty on most anything else.

The local bars in College Park toss fries in Old Bay. It's incredible. Otherwise, Old Bay is way overused. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

The local bars in College Park toss fries in Old Bay. It's incredible. Otherwise, Old Bay is way overused. 

I've definitely had times when local restaurants added Old Bay to their fries - almost all from quite a few years ago when I lived in the District. I've *never* been happy about it!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I've definitely had times when local restaurants added Old Bay to their fries - almost all from quite a few years ago when I lived in the District. I've *never* been happy about it!

While I love the stuff and probably use it too much in my food/grill prep (Frank's Red Hot, too), Old Bay is polarizing. My sister can't abide the stuff....she gets a bite of food I added OB to within a foot of her nose, she'll glare at me and growl, "You added it, didn't you?" It's the OB's addition of celery seed to the mix that ruins the taste/smell for her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.