Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2021

George BM

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Love the American flag ....and is that a can of Tab ?:pepsi::lol:

LOL, @losetoa6 -- somewhat sadly, at this point on a non-typical Friday afternoon, no -- it's a can of Wegman's Cherry Pomegranate sparkling water. I don't want to be handling a firearm in the range shortly with any alcohol in my system. I'm paranoid that way.  :) 

Also, Son #2 left the flag before moving out, so I just left it where it is...provides a nice background for work-related Zoom/MS Teams meetings. :D 

17 minutes ago, mappy said:

starting my friday off by dealing with stupid insurance. the worst. 

its no wonder people go bankrupt over medical bills. a free wellness visit resulted in a bill because something was found that needed to be treated. thankfully its an affordable bill and was an easy treatment, but geez. talk about stupid loopholes and the like. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mappy said:

its no wonder people go bankrupt over medical bills. a free wellness visit resulted in a bill because something was found that needed to be treated. thankfully its an affordable bill and was an easy treatment, but geez. talk about stupid loopholes and the like. 

Seriously. Medical insurance is still...messy. I don't know the answer, but I still think there's a better answer out there, somewhere, somehow.

On a somewhat related note -- I recall you sharing about or near this time last year that your sister had a serious accident? Are things better/improved in her life?

10 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Seriously. Medical insurance is still...messy. I don't know the answer, but I still think there's a better answer out there, somewhere, somehow.

On a somewhat related note -- I recall you sharing about or near this time last year that your sister had a serious accident? Are things better/improved in her life?

I literally laughed at the insurance on the phone at how ridiculous their process is on what is covered and not. So so stupid.

Thank you for remembering and asking! She is doing so much better, was a year last month. She went through some major life changes following the accident; a long term relationship ended, had to sell her house and move back home, couldn’t work for almost 6 months, navigating covid like the rest of us...all while recovering from the accident. I thought I was a strong female, but she’s incredible. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I love the combined "comfort" and utility of your workspace, @Mrs.J...along with the upgrades you've shared here. I hope it's working out well for you.

Our Son #1 moved out two years ago, about a year after he graduated from college and decided to go into Army Officer Candidate School (go figure) -- which provided us the chance to have our first dedicated guest room in our small-ish home. Son #2 graduated in December 2019, lived/teleworked with us during most of 2020 and just moved out to Arlington about a month ago -- and Son #2's vacant bedroom provided me the first opportunity EVER to have my own dedicated home office, which couldn't be more timely as I'll likely be teleworking 90% or more of the time for the last few years of my career. I'm on Cloud 9.  :) 

PXL_20210305_195350905_2a.jpg.92c51b7de968ab1b852281463a3d3f48.jpg   PXL_20210305_195412657_2a.jpg.84593fb0c0109d484a55f1826bbd975b.jpg

Looks really nice

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mappy said:

I am a medical provider and I know what you mean by the convoluted process that the insurance companies put patients and providers through.  My wife just got a bill for services provided during her "free" wellness visit.  It should only take a few hours on the phone to straighten this out. :fever:

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

I love the combined "comfort" and utility of your workspace, @Mrs.J...along with the upgrades you've shared here. I hope it's working out well for you.

Our Son #1 moved out two years ago, about a year after he graduated from college and decided to go into Army Officer Candidate School (go figure) -- which provided us the chance to have our first dedicated guest room in our small-ish home. Son #2 graduated in December 2019, lived/teleworked with us during most of 2020 and just moved out to Arlington about a month ago -- and Son #2's vacant bedroom provided me the first opportunity EVER to have my own dedicated home office, which couldn't be more timely as I'll likely be teleworking 90% or more of the time for the last few years of my career. I'm on Cloud 9.  :) 

PXL_20210305_195350905_2a.jpg.92c51b7de968ab1b852281463a3d3f48.jpg   PXL_20210305_195412657_2a.jpg.84593fb0c0109d484a55f1826bbd975b.jpg

It is so nice to get your own space. I have spent the last 17 years only ever doing for the rest of my family. It has taken me this long to be ok with doing for myself. 

Your office space looks great! And like that it is it’s own room. :D

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Nice. Looks like a good one...I have a boozy bomb waiting to drink from fourscore in PA...a peanut butter marshmallow brownie imperial at 15%....waiting for a special occasion...thinking 1st day of March Madness tournament

Bad pour, but this is pretty good. 

20210305_201406.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

Bad pour, but this is pretty good. 

20210305_201406.jpg

Not sure if it’s the same one but had a version of that I believe from Schafly brewery or something like that. Not bad. I’ve been really into the barrel aged stuff lately though. To a fault, seems like if it isn’t at least 10% ABV, I don’t enjoy it as much lol

• Like 1

To you IPA-loving sub members....greetings from Fair Winds Brewing Company, from two hours ago. In Lorton, VA, literally a minute or two off the Fairfax County Parkway/Ft. Belvoir exit from South I-95. If you have the time and the means, definitely stop sometime. Honestly, I forget what we had in the tasters (I think one each of the #12 and #14 Mosaics), but my Sirens Lure was the tall one in rear left, and my wife's was the Howling Gale on rear right. In our top three favorite VA breweries, easily. Never had a bad beer in this place.

PXL_20210306_010720898.MP_2a.jpg.60640f7de04925c3ae077195a9249700.jpgPXL_20210306_011414526.LS_exported_1012_1614993361046_2a.jpg.ef9d5ba746e3a10ff8d2647e0742c30d.jpg  

• Like 7

We’re about to sign a contract with a General Contractor for home renovations...I’m pushing for him to add a clause about penalties for delays beyond the timeline (e.g. for every day late $50 reduction in final payment) - things outside of his control like delays on appliance delivery, etc aren’t included.

Has anyone here successfully gotten their GC to include a penalty clause like that?  I’ve read some horror stories online about GCs so want to protect us as much as possible.  

9 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

To you IPA-loving sub members....greetings from Fair Winds Brewing Company, from two hours ago. In Lorton, VA, literally a minute or two off the Fairfax County Parkway/Ft. Belvoir exit from South I-95. If you have the time and the means, definitely stop sometime. Honestly, I forget what we had in the tasters (I think one each of the #12 and #14 Mosaics), but my Sirens Lure was the tall one in rear left, and my wife's was the Howling Gale on rear right. In our top three favorite VA breweries, easily. Never had a bad beer in this place.

PXL_20210306_010720898.MP_2a.jpg.60640f7de04925c3ae077195a9249700.jpgPXL_20210306_011414526.LS_exported_1012_1614993361046_2a.jpg.ef9d5ba746e3a10ff8d2647e0742c30d.jpg  

Gonna have to takE a drive and check them out soon. I see 3 beers that I know I want to try

• Like 1

Gonna have to takE a drive and check them out soon. I see 3 beers that I know I want to try

Was there a couple weekends ago. May be going today too after we park our new camper and get a hike in.

Definitely one of the better breweries I’ve been to in the area. And the bbq they have on site is top notch. This is from a few weekends ago. d191452d587a178091f453bff4e8595c.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MDstorm said:

I am a medical provider and I know what you mean by the convoluted process that the insurance companies put patients and providers through.  My wife just got a bill for services provided during her "free" wellness visit.  It should only take a few hours on the phone to straighten this out. :fever:

The worst. 

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

That surely wouldn't get the relationship off on the right foot imo. ( the $50 a day penalty) . I've been in Construction for almost 30 years and never have I heard of that . I'd probably walk away as a electrical contractor if a customer suggested that to be very honest.  ( or if you do maybe give them a 2 week buffer then have a penalty if you want)There so many things out of the GCs control that can alter the timeline.( his subs, weather, illness , unexpected stuff, etc etc) . Especially a large Job.  Instead check him out really good and talk to previous customers if possible.  As far as any delays to the GCs fault I would instead modify the draw schedule in your favor.  Example...instead of him only being owed 10% at the end maybe make it 30% . 

Just my 2 cents 

Good luck :)

Number 1 thing to do imo is constantly communicate with them as the job goes along . That's key . Once communication gets sketchy.  That's a red flag . This the single #1 complaint I hear from my customers about other contractors. 

By law I think any remodel job the GC can ask for 1/3 up front . I actually don't like that . I would want at least materials delivered on site before I cut someone a check for $1,000s . As a electrical contractor I've never taken a third upfront before any work was preformed.  Occasionally I'll ask for 10-15% on large jobs  . But maybe I'm the minority 

Helpful perspective especially given your experience in the industry.  Our realtor recommended him (and has used him countless times both for client projects and stuff he’s done in his home) and suggested we add the clause...I hadn’t heard of it but after doing research online yesterday, apparently it is a thing (unsure how it impacts the relationship though).  I definitely understand your POV but just trying to protect us from having to live through a renovation that takes 6 months instead of 8 weeks.  I actually like his payment terms as he is leaving final payment as 25% so I guess that would incentivize him to finish it on time.

I’ll see what he says back to my ask and go from there.  Definitely agree with your point on communication...we won’t be living in the house for the first 5 weeks but I’ll be stopping by enough to check on progress/escalate/etc.  I probably sound like an annoying customer but I’ve heard of enough horror stories that I won’t leave this to chance :)

Thanks for the perspective, appreciate it!  

Only story I can offer is myself acting as GC when building my house, so a different perspective. It was a challenge at times trying to keep contractors lined up and on schedule, and I had to randomly leave work and run to the site sometimes to resolve some issue or conflict. There was an odd issue between the plumber and the company installing the septic system about whose responsibility it was to actually make the connection to the tank lol. I ended up helping the Septic system installer to get it done. It all turned out okay and it is nice to be the one in control of the completion of your own house, but definitely stressful and not sure I would do it again. I did a lot of the finished work myself with my dad helping, so the last stage was all on me keeping on schedule to get it completed on time per the construction loan. Pretty much all I did for months when I wasn't at work.

Was there a couple weekends ago. May be going today too after we park our new camper and get a hike in.

Definitely one of the better breweries I’ve been to in the area. And the bbq they have on site is top notch. This is from a few weekends ago. d191452d587a178091f453bff4e8595c.jpg&key=f06f6aa1331724bddee43f282296681a7860ab6487497b28e2bbce66c21b9322

Will be there around 1230 today if anyone else happens to be there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Being your own GC is tough and a bit stressful even if your like me who is in Construction as a occupation.  A homeowner who has no construction experience I imagine it's almost overwhelming but with enough research and prep work its certainly possible.  I was my own GC on 2 of my homes and drew the plans up myself with some help from my brother and father ( both engineers)but I knew all the sub contractors and I actually did much of the work myself...Electrical, Cable, telephone, all trim work, tile,duct work , fireplace install, etc which cut  down on people I needed to rely on . 

Yep. For me it was mostly dealing with company doing the construction of the foundation and the shell of the log home. I also subbed out the HVAC, plumbing, ofc septic and well, and the rough electrical. Hired an Amish stone mason to do the fireplace. Me and my dad did the rest. The electrical is tricky with a log home esp on the exterior walls and any wire run for lighting fixtures that can't be pulled through the interior walls. Has to be well planned and the workers stacking the logs have to pay close attention to the rough electrical diagrams for location of outlets and light switches on the perimeter walls as they go. A bit tricky having solid walls, and pretty hard to go back and rectify it if they miss something. I drew up all the plans, and the guy I hired to do the rough electrical worked well with the guys constructing the shell to make sure it was done per the the plan. I got lots of calls while at work but most everything was resolved without me having to show up on site.

eta- the only 'fix' is to run wiremold on the walls :yikes:

3 hours ago, WeatherShak said:

Will be there around 1230 today if anyone else happens to be there.

Sorry we missed you by about 18 hours, @WeatherShak! But I'm sure you found some great drafts waiting for you, hope you're enjoying.  :)  Fair Winds could be another viable option for a future "south-enders mini meet-up" that @H2O proposed a couple weeks back...

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic