• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    friday
    Newest Member
    friday

March 2021 Discobs

8 minutes ago, KAOS said:

Couple of gusts in the last few minutes. Though I have no doubt it will increase. We do well with wind.... except in the summer when it's hot and humid. Then there is not a breeze to be found. I have really enjoyed the last three days of what seems to be non-stop rain (sarcasm). Cold rain is something we excel at as well. Hard to imagine three days of snow that isn't pixie dust.

The entire winter has been a disaster here in Pasadena. All I've had is a slop mess and piles of puddles this year. I've never heard my sump pump run so frequently in the 15 years I have been in this particular house. Like 5 minute intervals.

Yup. Pretty much a blazing dumpster fire full of HIV syringes in AA county for the third winter in a row. I guess the pixie dust slop job was the most exciting event in at least 2 years. Pretty sad lol

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, WVclimo said:

Getting a few flurries.  39/30.  Wind NW 19 G31.    Guess this qualifies as a Lion? 

A cub. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Current conditions on mt washington. Nice weather for a jeb walk. 

I actually thought that was Mt. Psu at first.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Currently 32, got down to 30 overnight. Breezy through the night, and appears to still be...

Low of 23 here this morning.   Brisk. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Even though its below average temp wise today, man did my car feel warm when I got in.  Sun angle today is the same as early October.

Today’s going to be my highest solar power production since September 23!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Banter but how’s solar working out for you? Thought about it here.

I’ve been very pleased. Wish I had more roof area. I did the solar lease through solar city (now Tesla). Usually it produces all we need or nearly so from May-September more or less. 

• Like 1

Being a electrical contractor for 20 years I've seen my fair share of Solar systems and even Installed the necessary wiring requirements occasionally.  By in large most customers have not been happy with solar . Many spent x amount of dollars upfront and aren't seeing return on investment or realize it will be decades before it pays for itself and maintenance will be needed before then ( panels replacements,  shingle roof replacement so co. Has to remove panels then reinstall) . The few that I've run into that are happy are mostly in it for the "saving the earth " idea not necessarily for saving $ which is fine . And I'm sure certain setups will save people $ and do for some people just hasn't been my general experience.  Similar with Geo thermal  . Many customers have ripped those systems out and installed standard hvac back in.  

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, olafminesaw said:

Greensboro Climate plot for February

1882648861_GSOclimateplot.png.4e53b7df28cbe5b3f528d5d17ff8e979.png

I am still confused by why the climate summary for Greensboro was posted

10 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Being a electrical contractor for 20 years I've seen my fair share of Solar systems and even Installed the necessary wiring requirements occasionally.  By in large most customers have not been happy with solar . Many spent x amount of dollars upfront and aren't seeing return on investment or realize it will be decades before it pays for itself and maintenance will be needed before then ( panels replacements,  shingle roof replacement so co. Has to remove panels then reinstall) . The few that I've run into that are happy are mostly in it for the "saving the earth " idea not necessarily for saving $ which is fine . And I'm sure certain setups will save people $ and do for some people just hasn't been my general experience.  Similar with Geo thermal  . Many customers have ripped those systems out and installed standard hvac back in.  

My dad had solar installed 6 or so years ago, and also has a geothermal heat pump. He has 20 acres so his solar panels are in a field next to the house. He tracks everything and showed me the numbers on a spread sheet. I am totally jealous. All I have is a standard heat pump(and a wood burning insert). If it wasn't completely wooded here, I would have solar.

• Like 2

^  Yep. Definitely certain types of installations and situations can work out . I was Just mostly communicating my experience with the average residential homeowner that I have talked to. Probably on the order of 50 + so definitely not a small sample size . Either way good luck if you choose to get one Installed :D.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

^  Yep. Definitely certain types of installations and situations can work out . I was Just mostly communicating my experience with the average residential homeowner that I have talked to. Probably on the order of 50 + so definitely not a small sample size . Either way good luck if you choose to get one Installed :D.

Not sure the times you worked on these, but certainly the older systems were less efficient and more costly.

I did the lease, so I’m essentially just paying for the power monthly. They guarantee any repairs to the panels or the roof. It’s working out well. I did a lot of math before I did it and it will save me money in almost any circumstance over using the grid 100%. 

• Like 1

These dry breezy afternoons in tandem with below freezing mornings are doing wonders to dry out the swamp. Keep it coming.