Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 18/19th Storm Potential

stormtracker

Just now, ErinInTheSky said:

I hate the Euro. It's such a fail for the different scenarios that would give much enjoyment.

At least with the GFS and co, it's a ton of snow.

And with the NAM, it's 3" of sleet and then freezing rain to make the biggest mess we've seen in a while (and this is my personal favorite solution because, again, I LOVE 3"+ sleet bombs)

But the Euro? Non-warning snow, insignificant sleet, and a tenth an inch of Zr

We toss

1 minute ago, ErinInTheSky said:

I hate the Euro. It's such a fail for the different scenarios that would give much enjoyment.

And with the NAM, it's 3" of sleet and then freezing rain to make the biggest mess we've seen in a while (and this is my personal favorite solution because, again, I LOVE 3"+ sleet bombs)

It's like 10" for you

3 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Euro is 6" - 10" for Montgomery County.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

I wouldn't say that exactly. The wave 2 we were talking about on the 12z run is practically nonexistent on the 18z. Regardless, the axis of heavy precip moved NW some, but 850s and 700s only gave in a little. It's actually wetter for the initial thump for IAD and points NW I believe, it's just that it lost the ~.2-.3" qpf that came from wave 2. 18z has been wonky the past 2 days, not that I'm too certain about anything in regards to off hour runs. 

It's probably 800-850 that is worrisome...higher up and lower down in the column is safe for DCA.  Even 850 temps peak at 0.  Now we know there is probably a +1 warm nose somewhere....but it doesnt look like a sleetfest for the cities ala nam...

• Like 1

Just now, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Solid event, I’d sign for the 3 inches that gives me right now if I could.  3 inches + sleet + snow showers + a cold weekend is about as good as it gets most of the time for us.  Gotta just roll with it, can’t be punting events like this as a mid Atlantic weenie. 

Oh I'm not punting.

I'm banking on the NAM, everyone knows I want a 3" sleet bomb capped with .25"+ of freezing rain. Those are fun. Stays for days. Everything caves instantly.

But if I'm not getting the NAM's solution, give me the GFS any day.

7 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Oh I'm not punting.

I'm banking on the NAM, everyone knows I want a 3" sleet bomb capped with .25"+ of freezing rain. Those are fun. Stays for days. Everything caves instantly.

But if I'm not getting the NAM's solution, give me the GFS any day.

3 inch sleet bombs are more rare than big snow storms, I wouldn’t get your hopes up for that. 

• Like 3