Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 18/19th Storm Potential

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Hush. Never doubt the ability of something to pull the football away last minute.

Lol! Absolutely true in the dc region. Luckily we are essentially within 36 hours and every hour that ticks by without a sudden shift makes that less likely.

Just now, blueberryfaygo said:

48 hours out.. how could this possibly fail.. with that run I think we are safe

Just my humble opinion, but I don't think any operational model ensures that we're safe. Mesos are clearly trending more positively, but they still blast that warm nose through our region, and they were right to a degree with that feature in previous events. I would say that the past few model suites have cemented the fact that a significant wintry event is going to unfold. 0.5"+ QPF of any frozen is rather significant, and most models put that total at almost twice that precip output. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Hush. Never doubt the ability of something to pull the football away last minute.

2 minutes ago, chris21 said:

Lol! Absolutely true in the dc region. Luckily we are essentially within 36 hours and every hour that ticks by without a sudden shift makes that less likely.

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

For sure, especially this year.  But we're ~36 hours out and still moving the right direction so far.  

Past tracking has shown the graphs plummet around 36 hours out (from model init) a few times this season. That would be the 00Z runs tonight. We're looking good, but by no means home free. I'm crossing all available appendages 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Just my humble opinion, but I don't think any operational model ensures that we're safe. Mesos are clearly trending more positively, but they still blast that warm nose through our region, and they were right to a degree with that feature in previous events. I would say that the past few model suites have cemented the fact that a significant wintry event is going to unfold. 0.5"+ QPF of any frozen is rather significant, and most models put that total at almost twice that precip output. 

what's nice is that the worst case scenario is trending better.  feb 94 does come to mind with that plume of moisture depicted on the nam which ended up being a sleet storm here (no hyperbole either...it was indeed 4"+ of sleet), but when you have globals converging towards a colder solution, it's hard to take a short range model too seriously until it gets into its wheelhouse.  that said, assuming the warm nose is correct, elevation will play a role...tho it normally does here anyway.

Interesting that the GFS para again focuses the initial thump further south.   The northern areas score, but it's actually during the afternoon.     It's also more aggressive than the ops with moving the changeover line further north.       Verbatim, it hits southern areas with a lot of snow in the morning and hits northern areas with a lot of snow in the afternoon - there is an impressive screw zone running along I-50 from DC to Annapolis.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnowDreamer said:

Past tracking has shown the graphs plummet around 36 hours out (from model init) a few times this season. That would be the 00Z runs tonight. We're looking good, but by no means home free. I'm crossing all available appendages 

I'll feel comfortable with the 6z Thursday runs.  Thankfully, I'll be asleep when they come out so oh well.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, high risk said:

Interesting that the GFS para again focuses the initial thump further south.   The northern areas score, but it's actually during the afternoon.     It's also more aggressive than the ops with moving the changeover line further north.       Verbatim, it hits southern areas with a lot of snow in the morning and hits northern areas with a lot of snow in the afternoon - there is an impressive screw zone running along I-50 from DC to Annapolis.

Interesting is a lot nicer word than I would have used!  Luckily it’s the only model really focusing that southern max of the initial push. I have a feeling that it will settle along a line from Winchester to northern Maryland, but without that dramatic drop in between.