Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@stormtracker...illustration...

look how the h5 jumps over us...we need it to stay closed and phase over VA not jump too off the coast like that.    But it was VERY close...the track is perfect just need it a little more amplified and the trough less positive so it doesn't open up.  

hfgif.gif.4e839383d08f3465edf30d67dfc69b45.gif

Yeah, I was encouraged by the quasi-neutral look at ~72 hours.  Then all of a sudden that closed 5H low opened up right over us and re-formed around south Jersey.  Interestingly, it "expanded" southwest of there at the end of the loop you display.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

yes but the euro trended a little better this run.  It was the first time it nudged the "other way" in 36 hours.  The trend is USUALLY (not always) to relax features up there a little at the last minute.  Not a ton but usually once you get inside 48 hours you see some relaxation of the flow to the northeast as the next wave approaches.  This isn't any great insight just stating typical model bias over the years...of course every situation is unique.  I was happy to see the euro start to back down with that crushing feature even if just a little.  If you loop the H5 trend at 72 hours from the last 3 runs its a little closer to a better phase for us imo.  

I guess it all depends on where you live but for dc proper the 6z Euro run and more suppressive look was cleaner. 

8 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Euro was an improvement for me in Moco over the last run. PSU has got to be happy too with the Euro lol. NW burbs are a little safer now.

GFS is obviously what a lot of us want.

8-12" seems like a great forecast right now and it's not surprising to see a bunch of those pop up. I will be SO happy if I get my first double digit snowfall ever.

Where were you in Jan 2019? I believe that storm was around a foot for most of Moco..

@psuhoffman already touched on the 500mb aspect of the Euro and how it was closer to something big, but just a bit off on the transfer details. Another thing to watch is the evolution of the 700mb low with regards to the transfer. I was checking the model comparison on Pivotal and I noticed the time frame of most interest will be hrs 72/78 for this section of runs. 

The biggest differences I find is the NAM and Euro hold back the 700mb low over the OH Valley while the remainder of guidance actually is in the process of a full transfer and enhancement along the coast. You can really see the difference at hr 72

GFS

700wh.conus.png

ECMWF

700wh.conus.png

NAM

700wh.conus.png

RGEM

700wh.conus.png

This is important because this is part of the delay in redevelopment of the NW precip field as the low becomes captured and pulled to the west. It will be very important to watch how the 7H and 5H lows evolve in the transition from the primary to the coastal and that happens on Monday morning. That is the make or break time period. If the transfer is clean during that time, the 7H low will strengthen off OCMD. If it's slightly late, it'll be elongated and have the greatest enhancement to the north, placing the best deformation axis over NJ. The Euro took a positive step forward, but it wasn't completely there. Regardless, even without the major hit, it still dropped a WSW criteria event across much of the sub-forum. Hopefully the positive trends continue and that piece in New England can scoot out or become weaker to allow for development and a cleaner transfer period.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@psuhoffman did you see that northern stream energy on the backside of the trough dive in?  It was like 12-18hrs too late, but if that could speed up...

This was so close in so many ways to something much bigger...  We don't even need it ALL to come together we just needed either some combination of slightly more backing off of the feature in New England or faster with the feature diggin in behind, and probably only slightly, and that H5 doesn't open up and instead amplifies across to our south which links up with the mid level moisture feed off the coastal and activates the deform axis over our area.  

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Ji said:

it actually caved more to the GFS than the GFS caved to the euro

It has been a compromise but the GFS didn't even see the coastal at all for our area until recently.  At this point yea they are converging and run to run the euro might cave to a detail on the GFS at this point...but lets not forget from 5 days the GFS was totally clueless as usual.  

• Like 1

@MillvilleWx good catch.  I think the h7 and h5 issues are linked.  The runs that do not open up the h5 and amplify it from the OH valley across VA to the coast jump the h7 in and phase "clean".  The runs that stall the h5 then jump to off the coast do not because the storm is not "phasing" yet.  The phase gets delayed (which for our area is a killer) as the H5 makes the jump.  We want the h5 to stay closed off and start to phase as it crosses VA not jump to off the coast...and we probably get the h7 feature you pointed out to respond.  They are symbiotic imo.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This was so close in so many ways to something much bigger...  We don't even need it ALL to come together we just needed either some combination of slightly more backing off of the feature in New England or faster with the feature diggin in behind, and probably only slightly, and that H5 doesn't open up and instead amplifies across to our south which links up with the mid level moisture feed off the coastal and activates the deform axis over our area.  

I usually don't pay much attention to ensembles at this point, but I'd expect (and hope) that the EPS has some big dogs in the mix. 

Just now, WxUSAF said:

I usually don't pay much attention to ensembles at this point, but I'd expect (and hope) that the EPS has some big dogs in the mix. 

12z today is probably the last cycle that we can use ensembles. Maybe the 18z GEFS/EPS for placement of the coastal low since it's not until Monday, but that's it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rookie here...

Seems like a ton of great analysis of the models over MD/VA area. Are there other analyses looking closer at this New England feature that could illuminate whether that will have the dampening effect that the models are reacting to differently? 

0z tonight we will have our final consensus. Looks like models, while having subtle differences with confluence, vort, and the trough... are definitely converging on a solution envelop. 

our typical fears as mid atlantic residents are alive and well here.... will the primary transfer be clean, will it be far enough south, and will h5/h7 pass by and then close in a favorable position near CHO to allow the precip shield to blossom on the NW flank and not just firehose up into Delaware / NJ. 

NYC, NJ, and coastal NE will score big from this. I’ve lived in a thousand times up  that way and I’ve said it for nearly a week - this has NYC Miller b special written all over it. That being said, we can cash on 6-12+ Type storm even with nyc being jacked if the cards fall into place on the transfer. 

Tonight’s 0z NAM, RGEM and GFS will be extremely key 

• Confused 3

20 minutes ago, jayyy said:

0z tonight we will have our final consensus. Looks like models, while having subtle differences with confluence, vort, and the trough... are definitely converging on a solution envelop. 

our typical fears as mid atlantic residents are alive and well here.... will the primary transfer be clean, will it be far enough south, and will h5/h7 pass by and then close in a favorable position near CHO to allow the precip shield to blossom on the NW flank and not just firehose up into Delaware / NJ. 

NYC, NJ, and coastal NE will score big from this. I’ve lived in a thousand times up  that way and I’ve said it for nearly a week - this has NYC Miller b special written all over it. That being said, we can cash on 6-12+ Type storm even with nyc being jacked if the cards fall into place on the transfer. 

Tonight’s 0z NAM, RGEM and GFS will be extremely key 

It’s never final consensus. I mean we’re at the stage where we can start talking about totals, but it’s still early. On our forum someone posted discussion back from 2016. Just 48 hours out the euro didn’t crush the nw Philly burbs and finally as the storm was literally starting it shifted N

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic