• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

I’m thinking now is the perfect time to set ourselves with a mindset of 1-3 inches by late Sunday night (including the squall on Friday)—-safe expectations. Until, of course, the weenie model that pops up with more ——and then, well, I fold like a cheap card table with disappointment of less than 6. 

14 minutes ago, Zdudswx said:

Looks like plenty of cold air in the upcoming weeks and looks active. Fun couple weeks of tracking ahead 

Source regions getting primed to deliver arctic air over large areas of the country. Combined with snow cover and looking nasty. 

2 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Looks like 12z GFS is gonna miss on the Sunday threat. 

ETA: ninja'd by jakkel :ph34r:

Just now, Scraff said:

GFS won’t catch on likely until Thursday. As long as the Euro keep advertising it I’ll be interested...

I think thus far, the past several runs, the GFS has been indicating more of a very strong frontal passage here for Sunday, with the southern low remaining well south.  Haven't seen the GEFS.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

The 12z GFS verbatim actually is a stinker.  Not only is there no snow through 7 days, it doesn't send the core of the cold down to us.

I was thinking the same thing! The whole set up for wave trains and Arctic air kind of fizzled out (to a degree (or maybe 20 degrees - LOL)! 

• Haha 1

The euro did pretty damn well with this past storm from 8 days out. Some folks firmly believe a few clown maps of 20-40” from various runs 7+ days out not verifying means the mode busted - that couldn’t be further from the truth.  That’s not how analytics work when you’re trying to figure out the reliability of a model.

It nailed many aspects of this storm, and the track of both the primary and the secondary coastal low. The fact that it missed some of the aspects regarding h5/h7 and where the best moisture feed would be, but nailed the rest (cold, confluence, storm track) is pretty damn impressive.  NWS and Mets don’t use a singular model to make a forecast for a reason: because no model will nail every aspect of a storm. We shouldn’t expect that from any model either as snow enthusiasts  

As far as next weekend is concerned, the GFS is showing its typical SE bias given the setup at 500mb and strong confluence to the north. If EPS/Euro/Ukie/Canadian are consistent with the overall potential, as we are seeing on the euro today, but are simply shifting solutions by 50-100-150 miles either way this far out - that’s perfectly fine. The GFS being suppressed and the euro showing the potential is exactly where we want to be right now. If by Thursday the GFS still shows nothing, then we can begin to worry about a miss. 

The upcoming pattern is absolutely ripe for Miller A’s and overrunning type events. Let’s get it!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Eps looks solidly cold . I'm riding that 

If the afternoon EPS comes in again like last night we will have multiple threats to consider moving towards mid month. 

I feel the GFS is not handing Canada well and the evolution of the TPV. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The 12z GFS verbatim actually is a stinker.  Not only is there no snow through 7 days, it doesn't send the core of the cold down to us.

It’s still cold enough to suppress two storms south of us day 5 and 9 lol. I’ll pass on arctic cold if it means we don’t get any snow. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s still cold enough to suppress two storms south of us day 5 and 9 lol. I’ll pass on arctic cold if it means we don’t get any snow. 

Going to require some phasing, lets see the afternoon EPS . I can't wait 10 days for more snow.