Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Heck Yea! Storms chances just about every other day. 

Plus vodka cold air getting stuck under a -4 to -5SD block. The polar vortex is finally being displaced over our side of the globe, over most of Canada except the far western part.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

@psuhoffman thoughts?

Here is mine. These HL blocking patterns usually require some time and patience. Some of us have done better than others with the latter lol. We are finally seeing it begin to payoff now. Over the next 10 days we should see multiple storm chances with legit cold air in place. The pattern doesn't get much better than what we now see depicted on guidance- well maybe if it were a Nino. And we are in our prime climo window for cold and snow. The bar should be pretty high. If we fail here, it will probably be because of pure bad luck.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Plus vodka cold air getting stuck under a -4 to -5SD block. The polar vortex is finally being displaced over our side of the globe, over most of Canada except the far western part.

Careful. Unless u can get lobes of the PV or the entire PV phasing that can spell a dry and cold period. But as we saw as recently as the past few days, our chances will go up when the blocking relaxes. Again, thats assuming the PV doesn't play into our storm threats. I like the chances going forward for sure. We aren't even close to being done tracking. The warm Nina Feb outlooks certainly won't verify over the next 10 days at least. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Careful. Unless u can get lobes of the PV or the entire PV phasing that can spell a dry and cold period. But as we saw as recently as the past few days, our chances will go up when the blocking relaxes. Again, thats assuming the PV doesn't play into our storm threats. I like the chances going forward for sure. We aren't even close to being done tracking. The warm Nina Feb outlooks certainly won't verify over the next 10 days at least. 

I'm guessing you didn't get 30" which is why you are in here crapping on the threats....it's ok if I'm wrong just speculating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

9 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Here is mine. These HL blocking patterns usually require some time and patience. Some of us have done better than others with the latter lol. We are finally seeing it begin to payoff now. Over the next 10 days we should see multiple storm chances with legit cold air in place. The pattern doesn't get much better than what we now see depicted on guidance- well maybe if it were a Nino. And we are in our prime climo window for cold and snow. The bar should be pretty high. If we fail here, it will probably be because of pure bad luck.

Ralph just said to be careful

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'm guessing you didn't get 30" which is why you are in here crapping on the threats....it's ok if I'm wrong just speculating.

Wrong (wrt crapping on the threat) :hurrbear:

Many here seem happy with the storm currently pulling away....I haven't been in here. Certainly not dismissing the threat, just suggesting if either of our areas get bullseyed with another Miller B with 4 days+ lead time we should be realistic and keep expectations in check knowing Miller b track history.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Wrong (wrt crapping on the threat) :hurrbear:

Many here seem happy with the storm currently pulling away....I haven't been in here. Certainly not dismissing the threat, just suggesting if either of our areas get bullseyed with another Miller B with 4 days+ lead time we should be realistic and keep expectations in check knowing Miller b track history.

I hear ya....still has a funny smell to it but it's solid advice :raining:

• Haha 5
  • Weenie 1

Hey all! I storm chased up to Dover NJ. Finally got lucky, band stalled over this region all afternoon. Total anywhere from 24-28”, and I’m sure there is isolated 30 spots. Just wanted to see 2 feet somewhere this year and it happened, the rest is gravy.

anywhere, onto the LR

Sunday, the issue with this potential event is that the wave is just an extension of the tpv. This unfortunately could allow HP to slide off the EC and put a low in the lakes. This could still work if the two vorts dive farther SE & with the block this could very well happen.

6A5F083E-0651-423E-A7DF-BE37D8883596.thumb.jpeg.038a707855f26394e59ec30c6b55c468.jpeg

I am highly interested in the day 10-15 time frame.  We usually cash as things break down or relax a bit.  On this map you can see the block has retrograded. This has allowed a huge 50/50 ULL to form. There’s bit of a split flow out west. What would be important here is if the block retrograded more southwest than due west. If the NS cooperates this has big time potential. 

841F9291-1D91-45FB-B9E7-E20DB3A810C4.jpeg

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I was today years old when I learned that Miller B came from the gulf.  

Yeah yeah :P I looked quickly at the surface and saw weakness near the GL, triple point, and a storm near Hatteras and it looked like a miller b redeveloping. Hopefully we can keep the Miller a signal and this doesn't go hybrid with later coastal development