Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb Long Range Discussion (Day 3 and beyond) - MERGED

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

Para is much closer to a decent outcome next weekend.  Late bloomer verbatim...storm signal growing.

Trend has been in our favor the last 24-48 as far as overall setup in concerned. Let’s see how things evolve once tonight’s biggie is out of the way. 500mb setup indicates we have a pretty decent shot at cyclogenesis off the Atlantic coast late next weekend 

• Like 1

Just now, CAPE said:

At least it appears we will have some legit cold to work with, and all of us on the coastal plain know that is the number one ingredient for snow.

For the second threat mid-next week, for sure . The first potential threat next weekend isn’t so cut and dry. It’ll be in the low to mid 40 Thursday through Saturday. Huge cold shot comes overnight Sunday. Forecasted overnight low is 5 degrees in Baltimore city with a high of 19 on Monday. Let’s gets some classic Gulf of Mexico overrunning thrown up here next week and were in business. That snow where .5 of QPF gets you 10”. Mmmm, yes please.  

8 minutes ago, jayyy said:

For the second threat mid-next week, for sure . The first potential threat next weekend isn’t so cut and dry. It’ll be in the low to mid 40 Thursday through Saturday. Huge cold shot comes overnight Sunday. Forecasted overnight low is 5 degrees in Baltimore city with a high of 19 on Monday. Let’s gets some classic Gulf of Mexico overrunning thrown up here next week and were in business. That snow where .5 of QPF gets you 10”. Mmmm, yes please.  

Initial cold front comes through on Friday, and at least on the Euro, Sat looks pretty damn cold. Have to see exactly how it plays out and what the timing is, but this does not appear to be situation where we are trying to score with multiple days of 40s and 50s leading in, and, dat block doe.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jayyy said:

I will do a summersault if we can ever get to the point where we are talking about cold powder and ratios of 15  to 1 .  :snowman:  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rhino16 said:

Are Miller A’s usually the storms better at covering the whole state in knee-deep tasty snow?

Miller A's are at least more predictable, and deliver the goods way more often than Miller B s .

Miller Bs normally favor areas North of us.  Like this storm. Miller A totals vary depending on exact track, strength of the low,  and other factors. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

We do backloaded way better almost always anyway. That's just climo, esp for the coastal plain. A -AO/NAO in Dec may produce, but if it persists, by late Jan into early March it is often money. I can be impatient, but realistic, and I know a pattern like this will usually pay off here.

It’s provably becoming true even more so with warmer ocean SSTs. We need those to cool to stop flooding the mid latitudes with warmth. But it certainly happened in the past also. 1958 and 1960 has blocking all winter but it wasn’t until February/March that we cashed in. 

1 hour ago, frd said:

Tasty animation ! 

That retro Greenland block is sweet,  and the evolution is looking to deliver two potential threats. The end of the 7 day period,  and even going out beyond that as well.  

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_fh96-300.gif

The NAO is likely to reload again after that imo. The TPV is still a weak POS so the next wave break will just start the whole cycle again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

2 hours ago, Quasievil said:

After the recent debacle, I’m having trouble buying into anything. Am I alone there?

1 hour ago, Rhino16 said:

Are Miller A’s usually the storms better at covering the whole state in knee-deep tasty snow?

If we get a nice "clean" Miller A or Miller A hybrid then we stand a better shot at a nice, simple snowfall for everyone that can probably be sniffed our 2-3 days in advance with more reasonable accuracy. Miller B's are torture and we're lucky the upper level energy saved a lot of people.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Quasievil said:

After the recent debacle, I’m having trouble buying into anything. Am I alone there?

Looking better than most of what's been thrown at is the past few seasons, when I am getting excited over an inch, you know it's been rough lol.

9 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Had 3.5 yesterday, compacted down to 2 and back up to 3.25

Overall the models and most forecasters  missed this for DC proper. Not so close by but that is the most frequent finish to Bs.

Not a bust and there have been several awful painful historic ones. Not a hit either.   This seems to start reversal of our bad winter pattern and we might not get above 25 by Sun and Mon 

Might wanna put this in the other thread?

• Like 1