• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 2021 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Stormlover74

Good Wednesday morning to all,  Jan 13.  Weather.US models rts ~550A EST.

I think our long rangers are going to be relatively happy... flurries into NYC Sat night or Sunday Morning,  maybe a period of wet light melting snow Monday in NYC, and then potential for several events late 21st through the end of the month. I'm thinking a model topic for 1/21-22.  Even if mostly wet NYC,  I think a significant wintry event for part of our area, between I80 and I90 (Ohio eastward), is coming in that two day time frame per GFS 15 and 16, GGEM, NAEFS and EPS ensemble. 

• Like 5

The next 8 days are averaging 39degs.(34/44).        Making it 34degs., or +2.0         No BN T's till the 20th, No Snow till the 27th. on this run.         The GFS will get it right given enough chances.  lol.        06Z has snow on the 22nd and 27th.

39*(59%RH) here at 6am.   (Was 37* at 1am)     42* by Noon.           44* by 3pm.         40* by 5pm.

Quick idea of what I'm expecting  in our NYC forum coverage area. Wintry hazardous weather opportunities, long heralded for January, but so far, suppressed to our south, should gradually become known to everyone here in the northeast USA by the end of next week (21st-22nd, for which am considering a topic but want to wait til late today before committing)  My take below from a review of many 00z/13 ops and ensembles. 

Day by day starting with Thursday: I84 corridor to Boston. Mostly north of I84 but a period of light snow or flurries should occur between 5AM and 2PM Thursday. Probably inconsequential. 

Late Friday-Saturday night: Poconos should see 1 to possibly 4" of snow and a period of untreated hazardous conditions, especially Saturday afternoon-evening. Meanwhile east of PA along the the I84 high terrain above 700 feet, periods of rain change to wet snow at times, with most of the snow later Saturday. Amounts of an inch or so highest terrain but negligible in the valleys. 

Monday the 18th:  A period of snow or flurries possible. Small amounts possible but for now, not much of a hazard, if any at all. 

Thursday-Friday the 21st-22nd: Entire northeast USA from Ohio eastward along and north of I80. VERY early but this does appear to be a fairly widespread hazardous wintry weather event of plowable snow and/or ice. Rain could get involved south of I84??  Just too early for me to be sure of suppression that allows significant snow into NYC.

Around Monday the 25th: Probably another widespread wintry event from the nations midsection into the lower Great Lakes and a portion of the northeast USA. 

If it's not the 25th, then maybe the 27th but for now am concentrating on the 25th. 

For both the 21st-22nd and ~ the 25th: Potentially a period of travel problems for many in the heart of winter. The usual amount of uncertainties prevail, inclusive of how strong the Canadian high pressure and it's suppressive southward dominance in the northern USA. 

Added a couple of GEFS probs from the 00z/13 GEFS (chance of Greater than 2" of snow, and chance of >1/4" qpf). Serves as a starter to compare future ensemble probs.  Have a good day.  

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 5.12.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 5.13.51 AM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

figure I’ll toss this out once again. The theme of rather scary analogs for tornado season continues. While obviously not implicating any one event this year matches the ferocity of those, the potential very much exists. It should also be noted that in some of these examples a TC would then eventually ride up the East Coast, most notably (and recently) Irene.

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

I think our long rangers are going to be relatively happy... flurries into NYC Sat night or Sunday Morning,  maybe a period of wet light melting snow Monday in NYC, and then potential for several events late 21st through the end of the month. I'm thinking a model topic for 1/21-22.  Even if mostly wet NYC,  I think a significant wintry event for part of our area, between I80 and I90 (Ohio eastward), is coming in that two day time frame per GFS 15 and 16, GGEM, NAEFS and EPS ensemble. 

The 21st still looks like a pretty weak signal to me. It's also 8.5 days out. We've had several of these head fakes over the past few weeks, and most threats have faded with time.

The wave train continues, with a new system moving through every 2 - 3 days, which might actually be too active with non ideal spacing. The activity looks good and the forecasted trof axis looks promising. Hopefully one of these systems will sharpen up soon enough to impact us... not way out in the Canadian Maritimes.  But which one?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, eduggs said:

The 21st still looks like a pretty weak signal to me. It's also 8.5 days out. We've had several of these head fakes over the past few weeks, and most threats have faded with time.

The wave train continues, with a new system moving through every 2 - 3 days, which might actually be too active with non ideal spacing. The activity looks good and the forecasted trof axis looks promising. Hopefully one of these systems will sharpen up soon enough to impact us... not way out in the Canadian Maritimes.  But which one?

I agree and also creating winter storm threads and trying to determine which areas of the Metro will get what precip amount and type will be a real challenge because right now guidance has been all over the place past 5 days especially.......typical pattern change reaction from most of the models.......so far most guidance is not showing any significant winter threat around most of the metro..around  the 20th IMO we will have a better idea how this pattern might play out...

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

@bluewave @donsutherland1 Here’s the CFS extremely well predicted secondary peak in January. This La Niña is far from dying... nino34.pngnino4.png

Haha. No it’s not. You’re not showing the whole picture.  Enso 1/2 and 3 have warmed. This is a west base nino with the coldest anomalies in the western enso. It’s still weakening. It bottomed out in early October 

F382AE17-4B09-4A54-B0C1-7F4C31353C19.gif

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

48 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Haha. No it’s not. You’re not showing the whole picture.  Enso 1/2 and 3 have warmed. This is a west base nino with the coldest anomalies in the western enso. It’s still weakening. It bottomed out in early October 

F382AE17-4B09-4A54-B0C1-7F4C31353C19.gif

Haha Niño 3.4 and 4 are dropping. Not weakening. Dropping SST = not weakening. Solid Moderate La Niña. In fact, it’s now a Modoki La Niña

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, looks like a very fast flow across the Northern Tier. The -PNA trough drops into the West with the 50/50 trough to our east. So storm spacing and late developing Miller Bs could be an issue. The EPS late January forecast is hinting at this.

9F4AE15F-896F-4098-AE5A-D66C74A3F51C.thumb.png.6bdccac3163f098553fe30ed7a9fd490.png

3FD44AB4-2743-4289-9F40-5A88C86EF532.thumb.png.7d2c1c766a64017104555e282402034c.png

I’ll take my chances with colder air and that beautiful west based block and -EPO. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Here is the NYC 10 date snowstorm outcome for -EPO-PNA -AO in January and February. The snowfall was within a week of the dates below. 1985 had 2 storms and the other years 1.

19790128....T

19710107.... 0.0 ??       ........ these are the only ones ? Which years had the same -EPO-PNA-AO and had none ?

12Z  Summary:

GFS   up to the 30th.         0"  Snow    2.1"   Rain      coldest day(27th.)  14/27,  equivalent to last year's lowest T.

CMC   up to the 23rd.       2"  Snow    1.8 "  Rain      coldest day              25/37.

EURO  up to the 23rd.       Trace         0.4"   Rain      coldest day              17/30.

Using the 12Z T's   which average 34.5degs.(30/39)  uncorrected for the next 17 days, January should be somewhere between   32.1 to 35.1   by the 30th.

In addition ACCUWEATHER  is taking all T's up it seems, on a nationwide basis,  for the next 6 months.         Warns of SW Drought this summer.         This summer is one of those 11-year cycle years,     1933,44,55,66,77,88,99,2010 +11 = 2021.       Bound to be AN.

Odds that J,F,M finish AN around here  on average is 2:1.        That J,J,A finish AN around here the odds are now a whopping 5:1.

Top Secret>>>>> I am hiding my SPF 45 in my snow boots.      Which one do you think I will need first?

• Weenie 1