Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Can't wait until I'm yelling at my own kid to get off my lawn.

Actually I'm having more trouble insulating my new plants with the lack of snow cover. 

Brutal. Don’t be that dad. Pretty soon he won’t have friends over ‘because my dad sucks’ and would rather go to his friends house instead.  

Make a mess, get dirty, have fun...

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Can't wait until I'm yelling at my own kid to get off my lawn.

Actually I'm having more trouble insulating my new plants with the lack of snow cover. 

I enjoy the plant and shrub aspect more and more. When we ripped out all the overgrown crap, it just made things look so much “cleaner.” You obviously don’t have that issue with a newer house, but I’m sort of transitioning to the shrub and flower side of things more than grass. Grass is just a pita most of the time. Unless it’s irrigated, I find it a losing battle.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I enjoy the plant and shrub aspect more and more. When we ripped out all the overgrown crap, it just made things look so much “cleaner.” You obviously don’t have that issue with a newer house, but I’m sort of transitioning to the shrub and flower side of things more than grass. Grass is just a pita most of the time. Unless it’s irrigated, I find it a losing battle.

Actually because most of the lot was natural waste area that couldn't be cleared it's a lot of overgrown crap. I'm trying to slowly reclaim some of it by planting native species and do things like blueberry for the kids to pick. But those first couple of years are key to getting the roots to take hold. I could use a nice pattern that retains my pack during the heart of winter. Torches followed by brutal cold ain't going to help the shallow root systems.

• Like 2

You know... so long as this "pattern"  ( ..mockery) is what it is, I hope that D 10 operational Euro depiction of COL atmosphere under ridging at +4 C at 850 goes ahead and verifies...

( as interesting aside, is a 'lack' of a pattern a pattern in itself ??   ...that extended Euro has 0 identifiable R-wave ownership - not sure I have ever seen a pure nebularity in January before... another curious little example of how GW doesn't appeal to anyone because it is like hypertension: silent stalker )

Yeah yeah...here comes the pettiness to remind of low sun-angle this, and short day length that... But, excluding those bargaining for 'avoidance' tactics for the moment, with no snow on the ground and a multi-day rotted or even absent polar air mass, that's prooooobably a pretty dam delicious 56 F high ...

In light winds, even the tepid suns of January will be inspirational - for those of us not in fact saddled in life with -(S.A.D.) variant disorders ...hahaha... Just kidding but it is actually a real, recognized affliction ...it's just that it affects a smaller percentage of people...  It's literally called "negative SAD" ...and those that have this feel a similar experience in spring and summer that the majority experiences in autumn and winter.

Anyway,  I can swap out my passions on a dime and just knowing how nice that weather is, it'll be nice ..

What I really, reeeeeally pray to the remorseless god for  ( that's code for 'good luck getting this prayer answered in kind') is that we don't sans winter in lieu of flurries on Memorial day.. .I think this last year was four consecutive stolen springs...  I mean, yeah ...spring warm in New England is a fool's expectation anyway, of course.. But snowing in May like it's 'normalcy' is beyond the pail.  Made horrifically worse when it's 70 + in February long enough to fatten buds

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

College grad. A kid.

He’s extremely arrogant and condescending. Back in November he was hyping a “huge”, “historic” -EPO coming for December. He actually had an attitude towards anyone who questioned it. That turned into an epic fail. Not surprisingly that he’s back on the hype train for January. Everything is historic, huge and epic to him, and don’t you dare question him.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Scott, here is the last 30 years or so of our garbage winters. The NAO and the AK pig stand out well.

image.png.8dd02513e09095ff144860e9f1691d66.png

Maybe I'm too generalist ...but that really just looks cut and dry like +AO winters tend to suck - that's our canvas...

Begs the question, do -AO winter unsuck ?

I suspect if run the at or above snow years thru whatever algorithm/GUI provided ...expanded to include Chi- town and Denver back to Columbus OH and ROA -PHL-NYC-BOS-PWM... the whole circuit, prooooobably the layout looks polar to that rendition .. .if not diametrically so, still considerably -

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

He’s extremely arrogant and condescending. Back in November he was hyping a “huge”, “historic” -EPO coming for December. He actually had an attitude towards anyone who questioned it. That turned into an epic fail. Not surprisingly that he’s back on the hype train for January. Everything is historic, huge and epic to him, and don’t you dare question him.....

Lol..sounds like he’s trying to drum up business/views/or likes...whatever it is that he feels makes him legit/popular. 

• Like 1

Probably should be noted - or not ...  that the Euro really had 'dynamic evacuation' as it's real only limitation to a NJ model low scenario for that Jan 4 ... we spoke about this in the other NYD coverage ... There are GEF memberships carrying on with that -   just sayn' ...

These are all 'tweener' system really ... None of them are really connected to a modality ... They like the "weather-life" version of John Lennon's famous aphorism, "...Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"