Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It’s been the grinch the last 3 years...they were loaded up 18 and 19 with 3 ft plus pack, and grooming was in full swing.  Even this year they had 2ft plus and grooming operational, until Xmas Eve and day wiped it out. So it’s been just incredibly bad timing for the last 3 years... he 

I don't go to the county until mid Jan, The grinch storm we had was one of the worst this year.

• Weenie 1

41 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The snow retention in the areas that retain snow this early is whats really horrific even though you have some that are above avg for snowfall.

I thought last year was poor for retention. It seems like we had the snow but we had some melts that kept us from a really good pack. My unscientific, superstitious self always thinks winters come in packs.  I remember how 2007 turned heading towards VDay and then 08 was good too. This seems like we are continuing on from last winter’s crap. 

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I thought last year was poor for retention. It seems like we had the snow but we had some melts that kept us from a really good pack. My unscientific, superstitious self always thinks winters come in packs.  I remember how 2007 turned heading towards VDay and then 08 was good too. This seems like we are continuing on from last winter’s crap. 

Not like this at this time, It was thin, But i was riding up there last year.

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I don't go to the county until mid Jan, The grinch storm we had was one of the worst this year.

If we had this grinch storm last year..last year would have looked just like this year everywhere too. It’s just a bad timing Rainer the last few years...with this grinch being the king of wiping out the snow everywhere in New England this year.  

We rebuild. 

• Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We bootleg

I dunno. I’m sure the mean is biased positive some by the warmth near Davis but those are some strong anomalies to get at those ranges from just that. You will never see the ridge signature past 10-12 days due to smoothing on ensembles but when I look at most individual runs and the controls there is legit ridging and even a Rex block at times. Plus with the pac trough where it is we wouldn’t see lower heights into the central and eventually the eastern US in the long range without legit blocking. There would just be a wave 1 signature with full latitude trough on the west coast and a full latitude ridge in the east.  I think past day 10 the blocking signature looks real imo. Will it actually evolve that way and can it overcome the pac and a scorched N Amer thermal profile though...?  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Why do people post 5 day averages? Also tell me what the temp is in Canada under those pretty reds.... like 5 f up north lol

The temp has nothing to do with that. We’re talking height anomalies, not actual heights. So well above avg temps will support significant height anomalies there. Therefore, I’m not sure exactly how strong the actual ridging signal will be over the next two weeks or so. Obviously there is some, but if guidance started to look less of an anticyclone there with less curvature and a little more zonal, I wouldn’t be shocked. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The temp has nothing to do with that. We’re talking height anomalies, not actual heights. So well above avg temps will support significant height anomalies there. Therefore, I’m not sure exactly how strong the actual ridging signal will be over the next two weeks or so. Obviously there is some, but if guidance started to look less of an anticyclone there with less curvature and a little more zonal, I wouldn’t be shocked. 

Always something.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And look at AK and the Pacific. That’s definitely a better look. You barely averaged below normal Out west and had ridging.

Yeah not sure why he’s implying the PAC looks like those composites. The PAC looks way worse than that over the next 10-12 days...now, it may improve after that, which is reason to get more optimistic assuming west-based blocking develops. 

• Like 1