Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

10” Compact, 11.5” Total.  

Shows just How crappy and sleety the snow was last night to have such a uniform 10” but 11.5 total.  

Past 5 Hours...... 2.5”.  Putrid.  Meanwhile half the board North and West of me has 20” and still getting killed.  But can’t complain as much s that Historic subby zone.  But they probably already have 12” while I catch up, but this little rounded band may not last.  

2 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Whats your total so far? I may of missed it. My uncle in Andover has been pretty much ground zero too. 

Had 20” at 8am...13.3” from 12-6 and then 6.7” new in the huge area I cleared. New uncleared depth was 18.5” so that passes the smell test for settling. That 6.7” was 2 hours so we’re doing 2-4”/hr. I’d estimate 22-23” right now. I’ll go out and measure at 9am. I need to reclear the path to the birds. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, dryslot said:

That has to be his best positive bust ever, What did you end up with Luke?

I had 12 when I shoveled at 6am so with steady snows since then... probably 13 total. It was sandy compacted stuff from about 1-6am which kinda slowed down the stack up. Otherwise, my 14-20 call would have worked out well. Still pretty good. 

You?

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Had 20” at 8am...13.3” from 12-6 and then 6.7” new in the huge area I cleared. New uncleared depth was 18.5” so that passes the smell test for settling. That 6.7” was 2 hours so we’re doing 2-4”/hr. I’d estimate 22-23” right now. I’ll go out and measure at 9am. I need to reclear the path to the birds. 

Have you done a core sample for LE?

4 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

10” Compact, 11.5” Total.  

Shows just How crappy and sleety the snow was last night to have such a uniform 10” but 11.5 total.  

Past 5 Hours...... 2.5”.  Putrid.  Meanwhile half the board North and West of me has 20” and still getting killed.  But can’t complain as much s that Historic subby zone.  But they probably already have 12” while I catch up, but this little rounded band may not last.  

Poor you!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I had 12 when I shoveled at 6am so with steady snows since then... probably 13 total. It was sandy compacted stuff from about 1-6am which kinda slowed down the stack up. Otherwise, my 14-20 call would have worked out well. Still pretty good. 

You?

I'm thinking my 8-14 call for CT is going to end up being money

• Like 1

Yup, we urged taking the 'notching' and 'gap' work painted on QPF progs seriously and here we are - nailed that! 

Just eye-ballin' out of window, looks like 6-8"" here in N. Middlesex Co/Ayer.  Respectable low-end result is a fair qualification at the moment.  Seems rad has no interest in bringing SE here, or NW axis back S, and seeing as short range diagnostic tools don't either we're probably already flurries mode on this dawg.

I can see 20" totals surround this axis. These notches are interesting.  It's hard to say if it is purely coincidence of mid and low-level disparate physical mechanism, where a split then both avoiding this region - one being frontogenic and 'quasi' CSI, N and the other being lower baroclinic SE ... Or, is it that this region sits right in the core of barrier jet mechanics where the evaporation is higher..?  I think like everything it is probably some percentage of both. I lean toward splitting the systemic mechanism as most culpable, however.  

I've looked back at some storms in history with the NESDIS totals product and you know it's fascinating ... I can see this phenomenon is not unprecedented for the region that aligns ~ central Worcester CO to interior SE NH.   Not in every case .. no, and in fact, there's are times when this region's presented with the max as well.. But this region does gap in certain sets up, and is reproducible so it's probably a real phenomenon.  The Boxing Day Event was an even more pronounced variation than this one... though this is going to be pretty striking at 1/2 to as much as 2/3rds less than NW and SE. Anyway, there are a lot of them that featured this interesting "dent" in the totals ... might be in an interesting sub-genre study -

21/20 S-

(EDIT, actually we're suddenly closer to S here. I'm guessing fractals and chaos made a phone call to discuss the impudence of me daring to suggest only flurries the rest of the way here  :)   .. We'll see.  I haven't been up red-eyed over this. But NCAR's wonderful gritty past-and-present product suggests we didn't really start gapping until after 5 or 6 am amid said region..  So it's interestingly suggestive of being in axis of that oreographic focused dry tongue of air cutting in underneath the growth region - I think it's both mechanical split and evaporation.  )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You?

Awesome, It just started here around 6 am, Looks like close to 2", I'm sitting on the northern edge of this band so not sure what to expect or how long it stays.

IMG_5076.PNG