• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BobbyB
    Newest Member
    BobbyB

December 16-17, 2020 Winter Storm Obs/Nowcasting

11 minutes ago, nj2va said:

3.25”.  I haven’t been under any yellow banding but the mountains sure are squeezing every bit of liquid they can from these returns.  Nice, fluffy flakes.

Where are you around Deep Creek? I just measured 4.5" on a table outside my house at the top of Wisp. Definitely feels like we haven't had any of the fatties some other places are reporting but it's piling up as quickly as it can

11 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

For reference, the average December monthly snow for IAD, BWI, DCA is 3.5, 3.0, and 2.3. Not the kind of storm we originally hoped for, but a 12”+ event is not all that common for this time of the year in the MA. We are starting the year off pretty good. 

A huge chunk of this forum will beat their annual total from last year and we're not even into our prime snow climo period.....I call that a HUGE win regardless of what happens with the rest of this storm. Something GOOD to remember about 2020 at least.....

• Like 2

Warm nose aloft making steady progress. Should be a pretty wide area of sleet for a while -- freezing rain where the nose gets thick enough. Haven't seen any thunder reports yet, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ErinInTheSky said:

Damn

Sadly it’s more about latitude than anything else with that sleet line. Sleeting in WV C-MD  VA south of Leesburg and points south. Being further out west from the UHIs that are Dc / Baltimore isn’t helping stifle that sleet line. We need the 850 low to pop. Like now lol!

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

how much longer do i have before the flip? 

Still all snow here. What I though was the changeover as depicted on radar has already passed over my area so I'm expecting sleet to commence any moment.

Just now, HighStakes said:

Good question.

CC showing sleet down near Towson, down through Ellicott City, Damascus. So probably a little bit longer one would think for us?

Just now, jnis said:

Still all snow here. What I though was the changeover as depicted on radar has already passed over my area so I'm expecting sleet to commence any moment.

Yeah I just looked at CC -- def on your doorstep.

1 hour ago, UIWWildthing said:

Heavy, fat flakes falling in Dundalk. Looks nice out there

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Nooooooo. Hearing the pinging now. Big flakes mixed with sleet. Pretty disappointing given that I was on the edge of the mesoscale bubble and HRR had me snowing for 2-4 more hours.

We optimized the hand we were dealt. Hopefully a flip back comes in later this evening. Measured 2.5” right as the heavy stuff turned to effing pingers. All good. Was awesome Jebwalking in that band. Roads were a disaster at 103 and Wesley / Old Stockbridge. Well...see you all at happy hour. :drunk:

C9292007-3662-4855-A3D5-48F21DC7B971.jpeg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Warm nose aloft making steady progress. Should be a pretty wide area of sleet for a while -- freezing rain where the nose gets thick enough. Haven't seen any thunder reports yet, though.

Somebody earlier mentioned getting the 850 low on the coast earlier may help ending the sleet. Can somebody post where that stands now?

1 minute ago, Scraff said:

We optimized the hand we were dealt. Hopefully a flip back comes in later this evening. Measured 2.5” right as the heavy stuff turned to effing pingers. All good. Was awesome Jebwalking in that band. Roads were a disaster at 103 and Wesley / Old Stockbridge. Well...see you all at happy hour. :drunk:

C9292007-3662-4855-A3D5-48F21DC7B971.jpeg

I know right where you are!

• Like 1