Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Relying on a "heavy rain to CCB snows as the low departs" scenario is likely to be a heartbreaker. 

We do snow chasing rain good once every half decade here it seems. In recent memory 1/26/2011 and 3/5/2015 are prime examples. Although those share basically no similarities, 1/26 was ULL swinging in and 3/5 was an Arctic airmass. So yeah, we're screwed lol

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

What do you think about our area  On Wednesday?

I think we get a period of snow that accumulates on the grass that mixes with sleet and rain...I go over to plain rain with sleet mixed in by around dinner time and then all goes back to snow and ends by 10pm and we get 1-2 inches of slush.   We initially get a watch that gets converted to a WWA tomorrow.  And we hope for another event and do it all over again.  

2 minutes ago, midatlanticweather said:

So.. What should we be looking for to see it trend better? 

Better 50/50? 

Closes off 850 sooner? 

Further south track? 

All the above? 

This thing is bleeding westward at an alarming rate since yesterday. We have had some glimpses of hope in an otherwise telltale sign. 

cooler waters lol.  i think we're just dealing with a mid-dec coastal versus january.  emotions aside, the solution is pretty reasonable.  on the plus side, it's not going to take much to shift the r/s line southeast.

1 minute ago, IronTy said:

That worked out for me once for that cold storm back in like 2005.  Other than that it never seems to materialize.

Believe it was around Christmas 2005. A cold driving rain turned over to 6+“ of heavy snow in a 8-10 hour window. Not sure I’ve seen a storm where 850s crashed as quickly as with that storm. A classic no doubt!

Not much left to go on with this one. Euro will come in line with the other guidance. 500 pattern is another clue...a few days ago it showed the H5 low closing off and deepening coming across, now it’s just a progressive vigorous wave that gets going too late, no phasing where we need it then sweeps OTS. Cold high pushes out faster and we are left with screaming E-SE flow aloft which even in a strong CAA setup would make things tough. Marginal setup such as this nails the coffin shut. I-95, cities all rain, few flakes to start. You will have to go well west and north for anything substantial...I-81, 15, 68, north of 70 to the M/D line. Perhaps advisory level to IAD, but mix to rain even there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I thought the 6z op run was ok but the eps was kinda ugly. A LOT of inside runners that track the low pretty far up the bay before the turn east.  This was the first ensemble run where I cringed when I looked at the slp plots. 

DF5A44FE-405E-411E-8245-DD4707501D07.thumb.png.afb4a009f305112465e71522f92049b5.png
AC133FC3-091D-4479-B736-C277FCB8FBE2.thumb.png.3446d6dcf0b9e788f310c4f42652da88.png

Not trying to be a weenie (just comes naturally) but don't the ops carry more weight than the ensembles at this range?

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

One thing that isn’t being mentioned is how the gfs seems to get a little bit drier each run

12z today for 18z thurs 24 hour precip, versus 00z last night for same time. 

I see a different spatial distribution especially comparing north of M/D to south. I like being centered just outside DC in that 1.5 inch zone..prob is its looking increasingly liek a chunk of that will be rain/sleet :-(

gfs_apcpn24_neus_10a.png

gfs_apcpn24_neus_12 (1)b.png

11 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_fh66_trend.thumb.gif.803f2c76863fd5e5fa0b7a0f67e379ce.gif

Can someone smart explain the lp difference here? Seems to be in a more realistic spot given the GEFS support. 

Won't claim to be smart (hahaha!).  But just eyeballing that, the difference appears to be subtle.  Notice at 06Z, there is a western low center right along the Delmarva and another one to the east.  The "eastern" one looks stronger (1000 mb), maybe the GFS keyed more on that at that time?  At 12Z, the same thing...a "western" and "eastern" center.  But in that case, the western center is stronger...in fact quite a bit stronger (992 mb), and the eastern low is farther out and weaker.

1 minute ago, ers-wxman1 said:

Not much left to go on with this one. Euro will come in line with the other guidance. 500 pattern is another clue...a few days ago it showed the H5 low closing off and deepening coming across, now it’s just a progressive vigorous wave that gets going too late, no phasing where we need it then sweeps OTS. Cold high pushes out faster and we are left with screaming E-SE flow aloft which even in a strong CAA setup would make things tough. Marginal setup such as this nails the coffin shut. I-95, cities all rain, few flakes to start. You will have to go well west and north for anything substantial...I-81, 15, 68, north of 70 to the M/D line. Perhaps advisory level to IAD, but mix to rain even there. 

No snow on the backside?

1 minute ago, ers-wxman1 said:

damn dude that's harsh

Just now, PhineasC said:

This feels like a very sloppy 4-10 across the area kind of thing to me. A pretty classic event for the region, actually. We don't get these types of standard-issue events much anymore.

didnt you give me shit a few days ago about being worried about mixing? :lol:

1 minute ago, mappy said:

didnt you give me shit a few days ago about being worried about mixing? :lol:

You will get the lollis to 10-12 up there. No mixing. Just lack of precip. I said a few days ago these monster rate events often seem to fizzle and those with good temps waste hours getting spitting snow while those getting yellow-banded are at 35 degrees.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scraff said:

I’ll wait for one more Euro run before I press....

2C5FE32B-83B4-4066-AA4B-911EEDE54FA7.jpeg

Same. Still time for some minor adjustments that would make a big difference for us in terms of what we get, but the writing may be on the wall. The fat lady is possibly warming up her voice. This would be a fitting finish for 2020 to have the rug pulled out.

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic