• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

That EC low track is a bit too far west for my liking, but with the season relatively early in terms of the warmer Bay and Atlantic shelf water temps, cannot be shocked by this. Warm layer looks to be 850-800mb, though for us in the southern/eastern burbs,  the EC track would imply the entire surface layer above freezing. 

Having said all of this, I'm not sure how the EC gives MBY 8" (Bowie-Crofton). Not enough duration on the front end for a good thump. So, at least for us along and east of I-95, I think we're putting our chips in on the backside CCB. As PSUHoffman said, the backside CCB/deformation axis is such a low percentage occurrence in this region; a football analogy is the fade pass on 3rd and long. However with a system like this this, going all-in (or not) on the backside CCB can make or break a forecast. Timing and thus location of the more rapid deepening and strengthening low-mid layer FGEN will be pivotal. When it happens soon enough for our region, the n-s or nne-ssw deformation banding also leads to a reduction in the westerly or downsloping low-level component -- which is more typical around here as we more often dry out sooner than later. 

Keeping my expectations low until I see a more definitive trend toward a 12/18/09 setup.

Screenshot_20201213-134651_Chrome.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I saw that...that warm pocket gets right to our door then stalls and sits there for 6 hours...I don't buy that.  Some of that period we are getting .2 QPF per hour.  I would adjust that.  Even with that there we would likely be puking snow/sleet mix during that 6 hour period...low ratio but we would likely still go way over a foot...just not those stupid totals on the clown maps.  But again, worrying about a little warm layer pocket like that and banding at this range is useless.  

I am analyzing for the DC/Baltimore area where most people in here are.  Not only talking to the 3 people that live near me.  But sorry.  I will try to focus on my yard more.  

Nah, dude.  Throw some IQ down for those who sweat the 850s/925s. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Has there ever been a winter where D.C. gets a big hit in December then nothing the rest of the season? That's what many winter outlooks would show considering this storm.

20 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Has there ever been a winter where D.C. gets a big hit in December then nothing the rest of the season? That's what many winter outlooks would show considering this storm.

I mentioned this a couple of days ago but I don’t think there was much around DCA after the nice December storm in 1973. 

1 minute ago, H2O said:

Forkyfork on Twitter said that a LP won’t hug or tuck the coast with that much CAD modeled. Is this accurate?  Please explain and get the models to shift 50 miles East. That’s what us DC folks need now. East. Go east. Fish storm. 

I approve.

Now get Forky on here to tell us  how this will happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Does anyone know what the thermals looked like heading in to 2009?  I know it broke way colder than it was supposed to.. but I am curious to know how it was forecasted leading up to the event.

It was much much colder then. I remember the neighbor and I talking the day before and me pointing out the rock hard frozen ground 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, H2O said:

Forkyfork on Twitter said that a LP won’t hug or tuck the coast with that much CAD modeled. Is this accurate?  Please explain and get the models to shift 50 miles East. That’s what us DC folks need now. East. Go east. Fish storm. 

Partly why we want that high to slow down and not move across Maine.  If it does then the clockwise fliw  tucksthe low closer to the coast.  If not then low gets further east 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

ENS looks warmer then OP euro 

FB_IMG_1607885770735.jpg

I have not dug into the members yet...might not for a while busy. But from previous runs the ens were always warmer on those mean plots because the handful of crazy cutters that run up the Piedmont were skewing the mean. The colder runs aren’t as much “colder” along the edges as the warm outliers are warmer. Plus I think the lower resolution of the ensembles makes them have a warmer representation in general. Not picking up the extreme meso features and CAD as well. I would focus more on track of the Eps and focus on the ops for meso details like exact thermal structure. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic