Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Gfs has a stronger WAA onset than before with good dendritic growth. I’m right in the R/S line during the evening as depicted with an isothermal profile right at freezing below like 900mb. The snow side of that line cashes in. 

I think one of the reasons the GFS has such warm 2m temps are the rates/precip? Yes the WAA is good on the front (which is certainly what we want vs relying on the backside to score good totals). Low QPF is equating to warmer SFC temps possibly? 

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Gfs has a stronger WAA onset than before with good dendritic growth. I’m right in the R/S line during the evening as depicted with an isothermal profile right at freezing below like 900mb. The snow side of that line cashes in. 

It's a crazy close call for us if, ya know, that was the actual real solution.

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Looks like we’ll be straddling that line. Guess all we can do is hope we fall on the snow side and cash in our chips. 

5 minutes ago, high risk said:

Fair enough.     It could be wrong;  I'm just reacting to the folks who said that the NAM showing an inland low track proved that it should be immediately euthanized.

Anything that doesn’t give me warning level snow I am tossing :bike:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, high risk said:

Fair enough.     It could be wrong;  I'm just reacting to the folks who said that the NAM showing an inland low track proved that it should be immediately euthanized.

It’s hard to figure out when a model is just playing into its bias and when it’s on to something. NAM bias is over amplified. 

13 minutes ago, Winter Wizard said:

GFS is slightly warmer in the mid-levels otherwise there isn’t really a discernible difference from 12z.

That being said, won’t do anything to reduce the tension in this thread lol. 

To reduce the tension...folks can start looking at the medium-long range again? The posts earlier today about the AO oughta soothe some nerves :) I think it was encouraging!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Imgoinhungry said:

What is euro keying in on that gfs is not?  Colder temps?  Which model typically forecasts temperatures better?

The euro is further north and stronger at hour 60 and it looks like it barely has flipped over at that point.. where as the GFS is further south and weaker.. but it is raining for pretty much everyone.

image.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 40westwx said:

The euro is further north and stronger at hour 60 and it looks like it barely has flipped over at that point.. where as the GFS is further south and weaker.. but it is raining for pretty much everyone.

image.png

The Euro has a better HP over the top. And if I have to have only one model in my corner for a storm I am taking the Euro every single time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

This board will meltdown beyond epic proportions if the 18z Euro follows the GFS

I still think I can get an inch or two here.  I don’t think that’s unrealistic for my location west of 95.  If I go to pure rain for hours then I might have to reconsider.  EDIT:  nevermind I looked at the GFS closer. I still think I can get 1-2 inches of rain here. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Snowchaser said:

NOAA office in Charleston going in very conservative for snowfall for eastern WV. I’m expecting more than 9” inches for Snowshoe. 

6C8E3F3D-7D3B-4495-BD79-795D6DE5811D.png

It better stay on the ground until I get up there... hope something happens while I’m there so I can be relieved of snow drought...

9 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

This board will meltdown beyond epic proportions if the 18z Euro follows the GFS

I won't as I remember it's only mid-December and I-95 and East is not climatology favored to get big snow at this time. If you're at those expectations, you can't be disappointed. If you having high expectations of a big hit of snow, then....

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic