Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16/17 Winter Event

MN Transplant

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I made a long FB post today as I've been getting lots of questions from family and friends.  Here it is for anyone who cares:

Major winter storm for Maryland Wednesday into Thursday
Snow will start late morning Wednesday from south to north across the state. It will mix with sleet, and possibly rain, for much of Maryland outside of northern Baltimore county to Frederick and points north. Sleet will eventually turn back to snow later in the evening Wednesday before tapering off early Thursday morning. The gradient between a little slush and snow to a LOT of snow is really sharp. Could be as little as ~20-30 miles in places. Picking that exact boundary is very difficult in advance. Elevation and latitude is critical. Higher elevation locations and locations farther north will get more snow, all else being equal. Numbers below include sleet, and there could be a lot of sleet in places.
Howard county: 9-15" in Mt. Airy, 6-12" west Ellicott City, 4-8" Columbia, 2-5" eastern Elkridge.
Harford county: 10-18" northwest, 6-12" Bel Air, 4-8" Abingdon, 3-6" Aberdeen and Havre de Grace.
Baltimore city: 3-6"
495 beltway: 3-6" north side near Bethesda, 2-5" most elsewhere, 1-3" south side.
DC: 2-5" north DC, 1-3" downtown.

This seems like it is Maryland focused :hurrbear:

3 minutes ago, HKY1894 said:

Opinions of chasing this to Winchester? I assume maybe Hancock or Hagerstown may be slightly better?  Still don’t trust the mesoscale models yet for banding.

I think we are gonna get hit hard here in the Winchester area. But I dont think we will jack. If you want to see the jackpot I would head up around Harrisburg, PA. But the nice thing about Winchester is you can be here from the city in an hour and a half once the roads are cleared.

4 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

This seems like it is Maryland focused :hurrbear:

0-24" for VA.  I'd narrow that down to 1-15" for Leesburg area.  

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Pretty good forecast @WxUSAF

Can’t think of anything if change. 

Thanks Phin. 

3 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

I have absolutely 0 idea what to expect in Germantown right now... 

1-15"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Sounds about perfectly right. Like. 

It seems like the Germantown forecast is :throwshandsup.gif:

I think you'll do alright.  Being farther west helps.  4-8/5-10"?

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'm actually going to be in Sykesville so I'm hoping on for some southern Carroll county love

That's one of those places that's a 20-25min drive from me and could easily double my snowfall.  

• Like 1

Just now, Interstate said:

I grew up there... in these types of storms... it can be nice... but nothing like Westminster on north. 14 miles and elevation makes a huge difference there.

Yeah she has friends in Finksburg and Westminster and even today was pretty different with the little bit of snow

This storm presents a resplendent opportunity to take a drive up Rt 28, north to Rt 7, over the Skyway to the West Bypass Rt 7 and on up to and over Rt 9, clear to the West Virginia State Line.

You will see incredible gradations of increases in snow all along the way.

Dale City will get plenty of snow, with maybe a little sleet, but if you choose to watch it from Charles Town West Virginia, it will present jebwalk prime conditions as close to 20 inches of the white gold pile up!

• Like 7

Very interested to see how things shape up around rt 108/70. Could have eastern ellicott city seeing 4-7”, as western ellicott city / Marriottsville sees 7-10” with more as you head out west / north. Very sharp cutoff coming indeed. Would love to see 18z start a slight tick SE for folks closer to 95 to get in on the action. I’d gladly sacrifice a few inches up this way for my friends right down by da beach (bay)

1 minute ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

I've said this before, but Mike Thomas's Facebook page from Fox5 is a really good page to follow! He really dives into the technicals. He believes D.C. has a good chance for a very brief heavy burst of snow before the rain takes over.

Did you want to put the emoji with the ax in it’s head at the end of that?  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

I've said this before, but Mike Thomas's Facebook page from Fox5 is a really good page to follow! He really dives into the technicals. He believes D.C. has a good chance for a very brief heavy burst of snow before the rain takes over.

I’m kidding that’s great news.  Where is the Tylenol? 

5 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

I like Mike Thomas. He is a weenie just like all of us.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic